Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What’s the best full-susser to buy with bike to work scheme ££’s
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

So… is it £900 or a grand? Whichever, what would be the best full suspension bike to buy for the money?

z1ppy

the one you want… you can alway top up the scheme.

J0N
    Free Member

SPECAILIZED PITCH then FSR XC COMP

auldy
    Free Member

£1000 is my limit ( through Halfords ) and they have told me I cannot top up as it “confuses ownership at the end of the agreement”

I am looking at :

Specialized Pitch Comp
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Giant Trance X5
    One from KHS – can’t remember the model

and the Boardman FS at 999.99 looks cracking value

Having tried these bikes either on Demo or with the guys I ride with who have them I am leaning towards the FSR XC Comp although the Boardman is still a possibility.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Trail bike – Pitch
    XC bike – X5, Boardman or the FSR.

Test ride and choose the one you feel comfortable on.

Houns

Specialized are running low/are out of stock with a few models so thats something to bear in mind

Xan
    Free Member

I got the FSR XC through this and it is really good. The only thing I would say is the front shock is rubbish. I changed this for a Fox one a few months ago and feels a totally different bike, but for the money I was saving I thought, it was worth it.

IMO the pitch is good for arder riding but if you are doing alot of climbing I would go for teh XC. It’s got a bit too much travel for me. Again with the Pitch (my mate just bought one) I find the forks are a bit basic. Better than the XC but still something I would look to change. Also not a fan of shram so that was another then that steared me to the XC.

It’s all about personal taste and what you want out of it.

Boardman is also really good but I like Specialized’s reputation better than Halfords.

But please do not that if you buy a specialized from Halfords, Specialized will not honour any warrenty as they are not an authorised dealer. All you will get is a 1 year in store effort. Wouldn’t let that put you off but. Saving about 60% of the value makes it all worth while.

Houns

That is not correct Xan

matt_outandabout

The boardman seems a winner.

Xan
    Free Member

Whats not correct??

I you are referring to the warranty bit yes it is. Specialized state for their warranty to be applicable the bike needs to be bought, build, serviced and maintained my an authorised Specialized dealer and you muct be the original owner. When you buy through the C2W the bike is classed as second hand, as your company are teh original owner. Also halfords will build and maintain the bike and Specialized do not see them as an authorised dealer this has been confirmed by both C2W and Specialized so I am afaid it is correct.

Houns

About the Warranties

Any bike under any Cycle2Work scheme (not just Halfords) is only warranted for the length of the scheme – The employer is the owner of the bike for that period, so warranties are valid. At the end of the scheme when ownership is transferred over to you then the bike is second-hand, of course no warranties are transferable.
    Halfords have never had a problem in resolving warranty issues with Specialized bikes and will always try and help out where they can when the bike is out of warranty

Xan
    Free Member

As above Halfords are not an authorised dealer. Specialized come with a lifetime frame warranty which even if the above was right would be invalid after 12 month or however long you pay for it. Although Halfrauds source these from an authorised dealer, on the companies books Halfords are teh one that purchased is so technically even your company are the secon owner.

Houns

which even if the above was right

It is

Xan
    Free Member

Ok we’ll agree to disagree, but I am sure Specialized know the term of their warranty. TRy making a claim like I did and you will find out. I was swiftly told to F off, and wanted to know how the hell Halfrauds got one of their bikes. Halfords will send it back to who they bought it from but even that does not mirror the full specialized warranty.

Xan
    Free Member

If you dont believe me read the warranty policy!!!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/sbcfaq.jsp

I am sure someone on her will be able to back me up.

grumm
    Free Member

So do I really not get the Spesh lifetime frame warranty because I bought it through c2w (not via Halfords)?
    😕

matt_outandabout

Xan – Houns works for Halfords, supplying C2W bikes, I suspect he knows more about it than you reading and quoting a standard warranty…

Xan
    Free Member

he better speak to the boys in head office the cause i have an email from them tellin me this.

Xan
    Free Member

have also got confirmation direct from specialized so i think they know better than any1. No matter if its halfords or your lbs if they aren’t any authorised dealer warranty is exempt.

njee20
    Free Member

Xan is technically right.

Halfords are not a Specialized dealer. Specialized are not supplying Halfords with bikes. Someone is selling Spesh bikes to Halfords, they are selling them to you, so you’re actually buying a second hand bike, Halfords are the original owner, and the warranty is theirs.

However… Spesh are excellent with warranty stuff, so you may well get lucky, but you’re not buying something through a legitimate channel. That’s their line on it anyway.

Xan
    Free Member

thanks for the confirmation. Grum i’m afraid you don’t have it. Bummer eh. I was raging when i found out and had a huge argument with halfords over it. They were supposed to change their faq to state that but don’t think they have. I’ll need to chase that up actually.

grumm
    Free Member

I did get mine from an authorized Spesh dealer though. Houns says I still only get 1 year warranty.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best full-susser to buy with bike to work scheme ££’s’ is closed to new replies.