Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whats the best forks for my Santa Bullit?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Want to put some new forks on my Bullit but not sure what, was thinking of single crown 66 sl’s or manitou sherman sliders, anyone have any ideas or advice?
    Does anyone have one pictures etc? iv’e posted on the classifieds and iv’e got around £170 to spend but nobody seems to have anything 🙁

Cheers

mikey74
    Free Member

Check out this months MBUK: They have a test of lots of forks.

I think the Fox 36 float and Vanilla win. They beat the RS Lyrics on the grounds of price.

I personally have the coil u-turn RS Lyrics and love them, but the price seems to have gone up a hell of a lot since I bought mine.

Do you need them to be adjustable? I would guess not on a Bullit, and therefore the Fox 36 Vanillas may be the best.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

You’re not likely to get any 36s for £170. You’re best bet is to go for some ’06 or ’07 66s, pretty much fit and forget, lower overall height than the towering ’05 model and much more reliable than ’08s. Maybe also some second hand RS Domains?

james
    Free Member

Is it 1 1/8″ steerer, or 1.5″?

On the offchance it’ll take 1.5″ steered forks these are £180 posted brand new:

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

God, you’ll struggle to do better than domains for new at that price. Older 66’s (say 07 coils) would be ideal, great forks and very reliable.

36’s imo dont have the axle to crown height for the bikes geo, totems or 66’s would be my single crown choices. If I was putting tripples on it 888s would be the bomb proof choice, avoid 05’s as they are mahoosive. You might be able to pick up 06 onwards, just, for your money. Boxxers would keep the bike slightly more versatile….but at the end of the day it’s a freeride bike.

mboy
    Free Member

Some 07 66SL’s for definite.

I also happen to know just the fellow who’s selling a pair, only 5 rides old, and for a good price too! But then you know that already 😉

Haha

Sorry, find another £80 mate. Doubt you’ll find much suitable for £170 sadly, decent 7″ single crowns still fetch good money.

walleater

180mm 66s make the seat angle a bit retarded on a Bullit if you ever cycle uphill…. I had to wind them down with a toestrap. Good on the downs though but I can’t say the bike was all that balanced with that set up. 160-170mm would be a better bet IMHOLOLWTFIMALLAMAETC.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

mboy, if you can hang on to them I might be able to scrape another £80 together, its not that i’m stingy or anything rather the fact that iv’e spent £500 in the last 4 weeks buying wheels, brakes, mechs etc to get it finished and to be honest the forks on it now were bought quickly because they were well just available at a good price at the time I was looking 🙂

Stu

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Santa Cruz spec the bike with Totems, 180mm of travel and are only milimetres shorter than 66s. You’re totally missing the point of the bike if you fit a shorter fork to make it a better climber.

walleater

Well to be clear, mine is the old model and I don’t know what the OP has. As for missing the point of the bike, I thrashed mine around BC for two years. If you want to shuttle / walk uphill and blast down, stick whatever you want on it. But around here, cycling uphill for an hour (on Fromme for instance where you can’t shuttle) with a super slack front end is just tedious. Hence the era of the big bike is pretty well done for most people and the 6+6 is seen as the ideal bike for the gnar. Arms and legs are suspension units too…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive seen 06 66 RCX2’s go for around that price. Look out for them since they are probably the best set of 66’s marzocchi have made.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Are 160mm all mountain 2 forks any good?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Walleater, I got the impression from your post you were suggesting 55’s or Fox 36s – both of which I think make the head angle on the bike too steep. Obviously it’ll improve climbing but I’d keep the geo the way SC intended rather than compromise it for climbing.

6 and 6 would be the nomad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best forks for my Santa Bullit?’ is closed to new replies.