Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What's the best CLEAN lube for all round use?
  • Jungli
    Free Member

Hi all

Any recommendations for rides upto 4-5 hours. Wet and Dry, mud n dust.. blah blah..

I’m happy to be giving the drivetrain a decent wipedown and relube after every ride but would prefer not to have to hose/degrease every ride.

Cheers

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I’ve been using Ultimate Bike Spray on my commuter recently and I’m very impressed with it. Ridden in all weather 2.5hours a day an relubed every couple of days.

LS
    Free Member

ProGold Extreme would work well for that – apply a bit more at the end of the day and give it a wipe through a rag before the next ride.

iainc

after trying most of them I have settled on 2. Squirt for ‘summer’ and Progold Extreme for ‘winter’.

On the road bike I use the regular Progold all the time

brassneck

ProGold Extreme would work well for that – apply a bit more at the end of the day and give it a wipe through a rag before the next ride.

Seconded. Great stuff.

Currently available for £12 a LITRE from Halfords. A fair bit of mine had leaked when I got it out of the bag, and there’s still enough to see me out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline wax, its a faff but there is nothing better. And like pro gold comes in 1kg quantities.

traildog
    Free Member

I have also settled on Squirt for summer and Progold extreme for winter.

I think squirt is great, but a rainy winter ride proves to be just too much for it.

nickc

Having reasonable success with Fenwicks Dry, but ’tis summer.

thegreatape
    Free Member

UBS here, applied to chain after hosing down bike and drivetrain. Been using this for best part of a year now and very happy with it.

philjunior
    Free Member

For the lack of time it takes, I’ve been using a chain cleaner each ride when hosing down, with occasional full brushing of the cassette, to keep everything nice and clean and using wet lube all year round.

I don’t think I’ve had a mountain bike ride that hasn’t required hosing down the bike after yet this “summer” though, might be tempted to use a bit of dry wax lube (the finish line ceramic wax is good) if I did have one, but I have found it’s been a lot easier to remove the wet lube residue than the harder dry wax lube residue (although the dry is a bit cleaner initially).

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Pro Gold Extreme

singlespeedstu

I was a user of Rock N Roll but when that became harder to get hold of tried UBS.
    Thought it was OKish but didn’t seem to last on long rides.
    Have now switched to ProGold Extreme and i’m very happy with it.

imnotverygood

At the risk of seeming dense…How do you use a squirty spray without getting it all over the rims , or the residue drifting onto the discs?

M6TTF
    Free Member

currently using morgan blue race oil. seems fairly clean

singlespeedstu

How do you use a squirty spray without getting it all over the rims

I empty it out of the squirty spray bottle and put it into a RnR drip bottle. 🙂

sparkerfix

Purple Extreme?

therag
    Free Member

Squirt

epicyclo

Purple Extreme

wilburt
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline 3 quid for 100ml decent bottle good stuff.

schmiken

ChainL.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Squirt

carlphillips
    Free Member

Ubs here. Nowt else has come close. My chain etc looks brand new with minimal input and no cleaning.

singlespeedstu

My chain etc looks brand new with minimal input and no cleaning.

Maybe because a bone dry chain doesn’t hold on to any dirt. It also wears components out pretty quick though. 😕

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve never tried it yet…but I’m going to

Muc off team sky hydrodynamic lube….the reviews look good

jeb

Chain L Oil.

Tried loads, this one just works so great.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@sss its been ages ( a year maybe) and no signs of excessive wear.

mark_rich
    Free Member

TF2 bought by the litre bottle, as good as anything else I’ve tried, use all year round.
    Dirt cheap compared to the tiny bottles of ‘chain lube’ u can buy, I just keep a little handy bottle topped up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@sss its been ages ( a year maybe) and no signs of excessive wear.

I don’t measure my chain wear but I’m ~500miles in on one chain with UBS and it’s not un-worn (not quite silent, not quite such immediate shifting as when new). It stays nice and clean, but it only lasts <50miles in the clean and dry, and I’m not convinced it’s that great as a lubricant.

I’ll probably use the rest as a wax to protect the frame after washing.

Also it’s a faff to apply, it’t too thin to coat the chain properly so you have to sit there and spin the cranks for minutes until it dries and thickens enough not to drip straight off.

Compared to putoline which I’d not have expected to require re-applying once in this time and probably negligible evidence of wear it’s just not in the same league.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What's the best CLEAN lube for all round use?’ is closed to new replies.