• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by igm.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what’s the best child seat?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

wanted for faimly rides

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not sure what is best but I have a co-pilot limo which is very good

Fits on a Blackburn rack so is very secure, but maybe a bit of a problem for disc-bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree that the Co-Pilot Limo is the best bet, or the LOCT Body Space if you’re ‘baby’ is a bit older and you want to do proper off road riding.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Chris

I would concur with the Co-Pilot Limo recommendation. I used one for my wee girl, and she loved it. However, she is now over the 16kg weight limit (which is fine for her age and size, she’s not a wee tubby, honest), so we don’t use it any longer.
    Which brings me on to the next sentence or two, both questions.
    Where do you stay? Would you be interested in buying it if you decide you would like one?
    I’m in Glasgow. As the seat is surplus to requirement now, I’d be looking to sell it (to help pay off my ‘secret santa present to myself which the gf does not know about yet but it’s only a metter of time, curse her’ ex-demo Orange 5).
    The seat was used about half-a-dozen times, so it’s in very good condition and I could include the Blackburn rack.
    I’ll keep checking this post to see if your’s is a positive response.

Awrrabest
    MikeT

chriswilk
    Free Member

Mike T – I’ve just looked at the bike it will go on and it’s an old Zaskar with a bolt on disc adaptor so there is no chance of fitting a rack, otherwise I’d have snapped your hand off.

I guess I need a frame fitting one.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

If it’s any help, I convinced the GF that I ‘needed’ a new bike to accommodate the child seat ‘cos my P7 has disc brakes and the rack wouldn’t fit on it. It worked, and that is the story of how I came to own a Kona Dew.
    However, there is little need for that now either, seeing as I have the P7 and now a 5.

So, I supppose where this is going is……. if you ‘need’ a frame fitting a Blackburn rack for a Co-Pilot Limo child seat, and I have the rack, the seat, and the fully componentised frame, might there be interest in a wee transaction…..at all….perhaps…. provided you don’t snap my hand off?

M

igm

Guys, As a number of previous threads on here will show there is no problem fitting a rack to most disc brake equipped bikes (don’t know about adaptor based ones). I ran a CoPilot Limo & Blackburn rack on a 456 – some fettling but simple 10 minute stuff (Ok hacksaw content – but not much). And I would recommend disc brakes font and back once you, the rack/seat and your child are on the bike – ‘cos the weight is high for a v-brake to stop (you will add over 2st to the bike, maybe more) and you suddenly develop a real interest in controlled stopping.

Second hand CoPilot and a new Inbred or 456 frame might be a value for money option if the Hamax ones are only available new.

Iain

smurf
    Free Member

MikeT

Do you have a price in mind for the seat. It will need to be posted as I’m miles away

Please email me directly (can’t access STW at work) – simonATmurfinDOTorgDOTuk

thanks, smurf

chriswilk
    Free Member

Mike T,

Unfortunately I’m not in the market for anything but a seat as I recently joined the 1.9 million or so.
    there is no chance of fitting the rack so I’ll just have to look for a Hamax seat.

heihei

LOCT – worth the money IMHO

chriswilk
    Free Member

heihei,

I was riding with someone with a front seat (not LOCT) and concluded that I would have to ride with my knees out if I got one. I tried this for 5 mins and got sore knees.

How does the LOCT solve this problem??

Tinc
    Free Member

Hey Guys,
    It’s good to see so many people keen to get the little ones on their bikes!
    I have a rear seat post mounted child seat for sale in Kent if it helps anyone get on the bike with the little one. Incidentally, now my little one is that bit bigger I use a LOCT seat on all of my bikes (it’s easy to move) without any trouble & she loves it! The knees out thing is a valid comment, but it doesn’t cause me any problems at least. It teaches them alot about balance & bike handling too, so you are aiding a future winner!

heihei

chriswilk – it doesn’t entirely and I therefore ride with flats when using it. Haven’t had any problems with knees though. I guess there is always some compromise when lugging a little one around. It’s just that with the LOCT I am able to ride some great trails at a decent speed, which both my daughter and I love.

igm

chriswilk,

THe LOCT is excellent – I have one and my son loves it (be prepared for squeals of laughter).

But from another post your child is around one – the LOCT is not really an option at that age.

Once they’re 2 to 2 1/2 though…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what’s the best child seat?’ is closed to new replies.