Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's the best 2-day bothy riding trip in Scotland?
  • Horse
    Free Member

Off up north beginning of October and looking at a few classics, done some great rides in the past in Torridon, Affric and Etive. Thinking of Glen Tilt (clockwise or anti-clockwise??) but also would love to do a 2-day trip staying in a Bothy.
    Any suggestions?

druidh
    Free Member

Mate and I did a trip in from Kintail to Maol Bhuidhe bothy and out again a couple of years back (in October I believe). Not sure I'd class it as "the best" but must feature as one of the most remote.

Some photos here (ignore some hillwalking ones at the start)

I probably have a GPX file somewhere

13thfloormonk

Start at Ft William head to Spean bridge then up the Lairig Leacach and down the other side to the Abhain Rath and a choice of two different bothies nearby. You could even head over the hills to Loch Ciaran, another bothy near there.

From there you could descend one of the many descents down to Kinlochleven, then back up the WHW and down the devil's staircase, then follow the WHW to Bridge of Orchy to catch the train back.

I've not really thought the mileages out there, but it would give you a nice choice of bothies and trails, could be a good weekend's riding!

Horse
    Free Member

Cheers druidh, hope we get weather like that! He looks very happy to find the balloon.

cuckoo
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

That was me… 😳

By that point, the mind was going. I spotted this bright object some 100m off the track but just had to find out what it was. The thing is, we'd picked that bothy as being "THE" most remote, so to find something so obviously man-made was pure irony. Got an amazing clear sky though and I've never seen stars like that before or since.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I'll let you know about Meanach bothy soon, we're staying there on Friday night.

marty
    Free Member

Glen Tilt (clockwise or anti-clockwise??)
    anti.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

marty – re Glen Tilt – had a look on bikehike – can see track going northwards but could you explain anticlockwise please ? do you have a gpx ?

marty
    Free Member

was assuming OP was referring to this route:
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16477

coylumbridge
    Free Member

thanks marty – you said clockwise is the best – is it all rideable (I'd like to go with a friend but he's fairly new to this) ?
    cheers

marty
    Free Member

you said clockwise is the best
    anti-clockwise is best IMHO. the day i tried it clockwise was pretty horrific weather-wise, but i still wouldn't do it that way round on a sunny day…

is it all rideable (I'd like to go with a friend but he's fairly new to this) ?
    nothing particularly technical, but it's a good sized ride with no easy escape routes, so not sure i'd recommend for a newbie.

Horse
    Free Member

Cheers one and all for the advice, been on nights hence the silence.
    Still hunting through guide books, trouble is with only 5 days there's sooo much riding to do!!

coylumbridge
    Free Member

sry marty – typo on my part – meant to say you said anti-clockwise – Glen Tilt looks good. I like Aviemore/Glenmore/Rothiemurchus/Glen Einich and it's not far from there

Does anyone know if west highland way is rideable (and OK to ride instead of walk) north of Crianlarich ? walked it in the mid 80's but can't really remember ?

marty
    Free Member

No worries – thought it must have been a typo – or booze :).

WHW north of Crianlarich(e). Yup, that's probably the best bit on a bike. There's been some work done on the path between Bridge of Orchy and Inveroran, so that section is pretty weatherproof these days. Devils Staircase likewise (since the mid-80s).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's the best 2-day bothy riding trip in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.