Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What's my Road bike worth
  • Paul-S
    Free Member

Giant Avail Composite 1, 2014 Size Medium only done 500km, with a pile of that on a turbo.

Showroom condition, I’m going to put it on ebay but not sure what to ask.

Bought it for the Mrs, but she can’t get on with drops and much prefers MTBing. Went for this one because of the Ultegra 11 speed.

Do people break road bikes, would it be worth doing that or selling complete?

What’s it worth?

She needs a new electric fat bike to set some new Strava QOMs ( only joking )

Here are the specs from the website

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/2014-liv-giant-avail-composite-1-2014

Paul

IHN

The answer is ‘less than you wish’

The formula is RRP – 50% – 10% per year old, which gives you about £650.

drlex
    Free Member

If eBay, Shirley No Reserve and see where it gets to?

My rule of thumb is 50% off RRP for S/H, then 10% per year from the balance.
    Since the link gives £1,599, then £800 less £80 less £72 less £65 = £585. However, that looks in great condition, so skip the last deduction and aim for £650 or better?

EDIT: beaten like a red-headed step-child!

monostereo
    Free Member

that forumla doesn’t seem to be the case for any of the bikes i’m looking at unfortunately. (santa cruz nomad/bronson all of which more expensive)

TiRed

I’d say 45-50% too. It’s a nice carbon ladies bike. I sold a three year old Avail alloy for 50% of new price (£999) after Teen 2 grew out of it. His was a rare XS. Medium is a common size, but it’s in great condition with good spec.

Local road clubs would be interested.

IHN

that looks in great condition

it’s in great condition

People realise that the pic in the OP is from the Giant website, right?

(Not that I’m doubting the condition of the actual bike, and assuming it is in good nick its a great buy for £650)

Bez

beaten like a red-headed step-child

Really? 😯

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Giants are routinely reduced by 25%+ at the end of the model year (see Cycle Surgery PSA thread with best part of a grand off £2400 2017 Trance 2s…) so 50% is still a solid price.

Buy/sell groups on FB avoid ebay/PP fees, but be prepared for “swap with playstation?” or “I iz 14 will u take 100 quid in instalments?” replies. eBay often actually tends to fetch higher prices which offset the fees as there is a huge market out there who think “ebay = bargain”. Cannondale Supersixes were going for more used than Pauls Cycles were doing them new for this time last year.

drlex
    Free Member

I was going from ‘Showroom condition’ and turbo use, so would have expected it to be as per website shot. Suggestion of road clubs/tri-clubs a good one.

@monostereo -perhaps there’s a SC scene tax? Given your recent story, owners can’t quite bring themselves to accept a sub 50% value!

daver27
    Free Member

do a completed listing search on ebay and see what others have gone for and price accordingly, much more accurate than asking on here.

daern
    Free Member

that forumla doesn’t seem to be the case for any of the bikes i’m looking at unfortunately. (santa cruz nomad/bronson all of which more expensive)

Yup, no question that these can pull a premium if the right spec and right condition. People love those CC frames 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Showroom condition, I’m going to put it on ebay but not sure what to ask.

If only eBay offered some sort of bidding system, where you could choose an arbitrary price and the market would define its value? Shame.

globalti
    Free Member

Put it on Ebay with clear close-up pics of the almost unworn brake surfaces, the shiny lustrous paint and the shiny cassette and you’ll get a good price for it. I sold my 2006 Roubaix in 2013 for £380 as it looked good in the photos, even with a couple of witness cracks.

plus-one

Oh Oh someone took the bait on red head punishment 😆

Paul-S
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input,

Picture is from Giant site, I couldn’t upload picture from work because of firewall, but it basically looks like that, no marks on it anywhere, no wear etc as it has done no mileage.

I’ll try and upload some pics later.

Paul.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why not upload the pics with a price to the for sale section? I think you will have got peoples opinions here already.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, sod off to somewhere where you’ll sell it, no need for more spam!

chakaping
    Free Member

The 50% plus 10% rule doesn’t really apply to road bikes, so you could get more IMO.

However it’s the second worst time of year to be selling, with the sales just kicking in.

Paul-S
    Free Member

ok will do – thanks

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What's my Road bike worth’ is closed to new replies.