• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by csb.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What's Mayrhofen like in the summer?
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Anyone been in the summer? Is there lots of things to do? We’d like swimming pools, spa, hiking, walking, gentle flat bike rides that type of thing.

ElShalimo

We went in early September about 4yrs ago. It was lovely but we had awful weather and couldn’t do a lot of the high level walks we wanted to do.
    Alarmingly it was eerily quiet in the evenings, it was almost deserted with just a few bars open. Maybe it was the end of season and they were resting before the ski season (which apparently turns the resort into a mad party town).

It is beautiful, the trains and buses are great for exploring Zillertal. The beer and cakes are fab. Lots of bike rental shops in the town too. We were probably unlucky but it might be livelier in peak summer season.

csb

Have a look at wengen for that kind of thing, with massive added bonus of the trains and especially the jungfraujoch. Mayrhofen and the zillertal at valley level isn’t that great.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks!

@Elshalimo
    – quietness sounds just what we are after but we are going in August so I imagine it’ll be busier then.

@csb
    – in what way is valley level not great? Are you meaning walking wise?

csb

It’s a long wide valley, with ski villages along it. Theres meadows, a river and a train line. It’s all geared towards serving the mountains really, so classic ski bars, ski/bike shops, boutiques for the Russians. The hills each side are pretty but you’d need to get lifts up for any great views. The pool is awesome, the best slides I’ve ever been on. But it’s not as bucolic (think Heidi country) as say the villages near salzburg.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Yes the waterpark did look pretty good from what I read

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you want to go camping there in summer the quality of the campsites are something else in Austria. We’ve stayed at Camping Aufenfeld near Zell am Z.and it has its own manmade lake for swimming aswell as a big indoor pool,climbing wall, skate park , indoor and out door playgrounds , kids cinema and and and. It is also 5 min by bike away from the Zillertal Arena ski lifts which are open in summer and they have started building an mtb park starting ftom the middle station. The valley itself is flat with plenty of bike routes but the sides are steep if you eant to ride into the mountains and you are faced with a good hour and a half climbing on roads before you hit any off road stuff. The only thing about Austria in the summer is the weather if you are lucky it can be glorious..30-35deg but it can also rain a lot. Hope that helps.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Yes the waterpark did look pretty good from what I read

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks Roter Stern that does help! Good to hear that there are lots of cycle routes on the valley floor as these are what we will be doing as I’m recovering from injury. We will then use the lifts to go hiking higher up. We were on the DH bikes in Saalbach last year and been to many Austrian resorts to ski and board but never yet tried Mayrhofen.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mayrhofen this morning…

csb

Is that the 2017 season lift operator team?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What's Mayrhofen like in the summer?’ is closed to new replies.