• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What's making my iPad slow?
  • tails
    Free Member

It’s an iPad 3 so certainly not current. Is it because I’ve updated the iOS which is slowing it down or is it the Internet has more video adverts on webpages? It’s still got a few Gb of storage left, I’ve closed down all the other apps completely.

Is there anything I can do, I don’t think I can revert it to its original iOS?

allthegear
    Free Member

Factory reset and reinstall only the apps you need.

Rachel

samtheman
    Free Member

IOS 11.1.1?? Updated my 12 month old iPhone SE, & having to reset it 2 or 3 times a day for it to barely function. Useless

Coyote
    Free Member

iPhone SE on 11.1.1 here and it is just fine!

chestrockwell

My reasonably current iPad is also slooooooooooow to load up internet pages. Sky bloke hinted that it’s because I have not made the move to fibre broadband and most websites have so much (useless) content jumping out on a them that normal bb struggles to cope. Also seem to get a slower bb speed so imagine sky have dropped the speed to force me on to fibre.

charliew

You’ve turned it off and on again right?

applesandoranges
    Free Member

To do things the Apple way, clear your cache files and you can use malware removal software to help remove adware that clocks up your CPU. I use malware bytes for my Mac and one plus phone. Keep storage under half way if possible. You can do a factory reset which will do all of this for you.

Non Apple way, download a older version of iOS that is not as CPU and ram thirsty on your older iPad. This is not exactly legit way but will give you the most performance you will get on a old iPad. Apple makes their products to slow down over time purposely unfortunately forcing you to a upgrade eventually . This method is only usable if your decent with this kind of stuff and can create issues etc.

I no longer use iOS devices but I do use a Mac and they are the same sadly

zippykona

To do things the Apple way, clear your cache files and you can use malware removal software to help remove adware that clocks up your CPU. I use malware bytes for my Mac and one plus phone. Keep storage under half way if possible. You can do a factory reset which will do all of this for you.

I have no idea what you are talking about but if you could point me to an idiots guide of how to do it ,it would be appreciated!

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I have no idea what you are talking about but if you could point me to an idiots guide of how to do it ,it would be appreciated

Lol you can remove cache files manually without restoring your phone and you can use apps to do it if you prefer . It’s pointless yabbing on about cache files but all that is important to know is that they build up on your device after time taking up your storage and . In a year you can easily build up gigabytes of it depending on how much you use your iPad.

But really if you factory resetyour iPad it will remove the cache files anyway. It’s the simplest method. If you can get by without restoring your iPad to a recent date, then if I were you and needed the simplest method possible, I’d transfer all your files you want to keep on your iPad to a memory stick or backup manually then factory reset it and then re transfer the files. (don’t worry about apps you can re download them from the app store.

This way won’t use apples iTunes backup or cloud backups and in term won’t reinstall a lot of the stuff that will be contributing to slowing it down from your last backup point.

If you do it this way you won’t need to run anything else like malware remover as it’s a fresh install.

This will all help speeding your device up, it won’t make it like the day you got it but it should be noticeable performance increase.

The top tip I have is if you have an older iPhone or iPad if you can get by the annoying update messages, then don’t update it past a couple of years from when your device was made.

A lot of people think updating their old iPhones/pads will make it quicker, but with Apple this isn’t the case and makes it slower . The newer the version of iOS the more resources it will need as technology is always moving on, like more ram, faster CPU etc.

for a example if you have a 4 year old iPhone that for instance was designed to run on iOS 8 when it was made, in 2017 that old CPU in the old iPhone won’t be able to run near as smooth on iOS 10 in 2017 as the newer version of iOS will be more powerful and use more resources, like a faster CPU which results in a slower device.

If you had a iPhone 4 say now and you installed the latest version of iOS available it would be extremely slow. But if you knew what you were doing and could get a older version of iOS that was made when the older iPhone was, noticeable speed wise will be the same as a new iPhone 7 running iOS 10.

Android phones this isnt the case. The issue with having Apple products is they control the software and hardware giving them complete control and won’t support older devices as its not smart business.

This is why Apple don’t allow you to back track to a older version of iOS(it can be done another way but is risky ) and constantly nag you to update. The more you update the more your iPad will slow.

zippykona

I looked up how to remove cache on my mac book. Did it and now Singletrack is quick but it won’t load evans cycles.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I looked up how to remove cache on my mac book. Did it and now Singletrack is quick but it won’t load evans cycles.

Yeah this is normal if you removed some cache files from the browser then it won’t load as fast straight away because the cache is deleted so it doesn’t have a fast path to that information. But once you start using your iPad it will reinstall the cache and will be normal again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

IME the biggest thing which slows down web pages loading are the adverts. There are ways to stop this happening and imo they are well worth the few quid they cost

zippykona

Evans is quick now as well. Will click on itunes and see how long that takes.

iamtheresurrection

Turn off Settings>Siri>both Suggestions options

Turn off Settings>General>Background App refresh.

You’ll miss neither (you could re-select a few to update in the background if needed). My iPad Air 1 and iPhone6 are zipping along as fast as my 7+ again, all on iOS11.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks ladies and gentlemen, I’ll try a few of these, I factory reset the iPad a few months ago so I’ll try a few other tips before doing that again.

Ideally I’d go back to the original iOS so I’ll look into that.

tails
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject, I’ve got a iPhone 6s which I’ve not been updating, should I still update all the apps until they no longer support my phone?

iamtheresurrection

Factory reset will turn all the things back on I’m suggesting turn off, honestly try that first, it takes ten seconds.

I’d say always update apps, for security reasons if nothing else.

Rio

IOS 11.1.1??

Most recent supported version for an iPad 3 is 9.3.5. 32 bit so app support will be rapidly disappearing!

I can’t think of any good reason not to update an iphone 6s to 11.1.1, and all the apps you really need along with it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@trails be careful with old iOS as you’ll find you can’t download old apps only ones which work with latest iOSafter a wipe/reset.

The older hardware does struggle with todays web pages and adverts have lots of complexity these days, fancy animation etc

applesandoranges
    Free Member

@trails be careful with old iOS as you’ll find you can’t download old apps only ones which work with latest iOSafter a wipe/reset.

The older hardware does struggle with todays web pages and adverts have lots of complexity these days, fancy animation e

Agree with this and some features may not work the same but given the age of your iPad it’s a risk worth taking for better performance.

There’s no (by the book way) to do it with Apple but if you need help I can guide you through it even though it’s been a while since I’ve done it since switching to android.

tails
    Free Member

I’ve cleared the cache, turned it on and off, taken off unused apps and it seems to be a bit quicker.

I don’t think I can go back to the original iOS as I’d have needed to same some files at the time according to a quick google.

tdog
    Free Member

@applesandoranges – would you happen to know why on my ipad 4 mini with ios 10 or 11.1.1 now (which is apita now after downloading it) shuts down music from my downloaded itunes music when browsing the web and going from app to app?

It justs stops the music playing every now and again and is getting worse I feel.
    As I listen to a lot of music, this is real frustrating.

Useful info above in more detail than I ever knew/found. 🙂

Tia

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I’ve cleared the cache, turned it on and off, taken off unused apps and it seems to be a bit quicker.

I don’t think I can go back to the original iOS as I’d have needed to same some files at the time according to a quick google.

Yeah it won’t make a huge difference unfortunately, but least you know your iPad is running as fast as it possibly can using the apple friendly method lol

With apple there’s really only so much you can do without installing an older version of iOS unlike android where you can install faster launchers, change the os animation speeds, over clock cpu and easily down grade the os if needed.

There’s a few good apps out there that can help maintain your iPad tho that do work well.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

would you happen to know why on my ipad 4 mini with ios 10 or 11.1.1 now (which is apita now after downloading it) shuts down music from my downloaded itunes music when browsing the web and going from app to app?

It justs stops the music playing every now and again and is getting worse I feel.
    As I listen to a lot of music, this is real frustrating.

So like if your playing your music from itunes and switch to another app it cuts iTunes from playing in the background?

Does it do this on certain apps your switching to or all of them?

tdog
    Free Member

Just cuts out randomly when on browsing/using safari.

Also cuts out when going to home page to access chat apps and shortcuts on desktop to websites like stw.
    So I’d say all of them but is obvs when I go to say a youtube video shortcut.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Just cuts out randomly when on browsing/using safari.

Also cuts out when going to home page to access chat apps and shortcuts on desktop to websites like stw.

From experience it sounds to me that it’s not actually a error but the way the os works. If this is the case It all depends on what app your switching to, on how the particular app is coded.

For example chat apps and most social apps etc have access to your notification centre some need this to operate, (eg alarm,
    phone app) and some don’t. The NC is the program that is in control of your system notifications. So iOS will grant that app priority of sound, say if you get a message when your music is on ,so it will temporarily pause your music to allow your notification to be heard.

. It’s not just chat apps that do technically speaking any app can it just depends on how the app is coded.

To minimize this a way you could get around i is temporary disable notifications on some of the apps the apps that are causing it frequently to make it less annoying.

It should not cut of when switching to the home screen on iOS so if I were you I’d try the steps below. It’s all I can think off, and if it doesn’t work below then I’d say a glitch and personally would use a alternative player until Apple have patched it.

First I would just make sure your running the latest version of iTunes and iOS (this should make sure that it’s not a system bug).

If you are then…

I would download another music player and see if it’s doing the same on that one, this will rule out things like issues with a app that is running in the background etc.

If you also get this issue on the new music app as-well as iTunes then I’d do the following.

Launch the Settings app from your Home screen.
    Tap on General.

launch settings app, then tap general
    Tap Background App Refresh.
    Toggle Background App Refresh to off. The switch will become grayed-out when toggled off.

If you still have no luckk then in iTunes case I would completely remove the app data and cache and tty again.

tdog
    Free Member

Right then
    🙂

I cannot see an update for itunes and have updated to ios 11.1.2 yesterday and have now turned off background app refresh for all apps as before had certain ones switched on.

I’ll see how I get on…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What's making my iPad slow?’ is closed to new replies.