Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's it worth? Vintage Ray Ban Shooter shades
  • kedmun
    Free Member

So, I recently acquired these from my FIL – Ray Ban Shooter shades with bausch and lomb lenses. I think they were purchased in the late 70’s but am unsure – not sure whether I should try and sell them or keep them for future use/increase in sale price.

Seen a few on ebay for £150+. If anyone dabbles in old shades let me know! They are basically unused so in top condition.

wrecker
    Free Member

Dunno what they’re worth but they are as cool as tits.

kedmun
    Free Member

Tell me about it. Worn by Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas – says it all. Shame I look like an arse in them…

brakes
    Free Member

is that an image of Jesus stained in the right lense? might add some value.

CountZero

Worth sticking them on eBay, perhaps, see what they fetch; RayBan’s can vary, depending on cool factor. Aviators seem to be very popular among the hipster crowd at the moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously, have you not done a “sold items” search?

kedmun
    Free Member

Sure, but this model has been around for so long and the selling price varies so much…hard to tell why one is worth so much more than another. If someone knows about Ray Bans they might know what year this is from or if it’s worth more than I think?

jkomo

Those were called ‘outdoorsman’, different to std aviators due to the hideous brow bar.
    They were available with or without curled sides.
    Certainly still being sold 20 years ago.

CountZero

The brow bar was designed to stop wearers from being burned by the metal frame when outdoors hunting or shooting in bright sunshine, hence ‘Outdoorsman’. You often see them with high-contrast yellow lenses for shooting.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nice. Assuming they have decent lenses with Bausch and Lombe on them they might make a bit of cash. I sold some for about 80 quid to a collector who was very happy with them. I regret selling them tbh they were super comfy.

Keep them.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d keep them and wear them every day. Super awesome.

kedmun
    Free Member

Nice, thanks for the information. Wasn’t sure what the bar was there for actually, makes sense! I’m very tempted to keep them really – just in case they suit me some day. The lenses are so clear and crisp…really nice out in the sun.

Think the frame might actually be coated in 10 K gold too…! A fair number of these on Ebay are either 10K or 24K.

kedmun
    Free Member

Hmm – I wonder where the photo has disappeared to?

sandwicheater

I’ve never liked aviator style frames, perhaps because they don’t fit my stupid face and I’ve become bitter.

If they don’t suit you now they never will, just your perception and by the time your old and think ‘nice, why didn’t I where these ages ago and grow a pony tail, heck yes, your’re the bomb bro’ it will be too late.

Sell them and get yourself something cool now like 20 pairs of Bermuda shorts, they never go out of fashion.

Your welcome.

kedmun
    Free Member

If they don’t suit you now they never will, just your perception and by the time your old and think ‘nice, why didn’t I where these ages ago and grow a pony tail, heck yes, your’re the bomb bro’ it will be too late.

Funnily enough, the way I see myself when I’m old will be with a head of long, greasy grey hair (provided I still have any) and a massive hobo beard. Surely they’ll suit me then? But is it worth holding on to for another 40 years, just to be a freakin’ cool old man?

grahamg
    Free Member

If they don’t suit you now, they never will – flog ’em, but treat yourself to some posh glasses that suit with the proceeds.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Aviators come in 3 or 4 widths so if they don’t suit you another size might look better.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Aviators come in 3 or 4 widths so if they don’t suit you another size might look better.

This. I always thought they didn’t suit me. Made me look like a fly. I must’ve just tried on a large pair because the smaller ones I have now look great.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth? Vintage Ray Ban Shooter shades’ is closed to new replies.