Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's it worth? Landrover defender(ebay content)
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

EBAY LINK HERE

Hiya- mate of mine is looking for a bit of advice. He’s got a Landrover Defender for sale, but doesn’t really know what it is worth. I’m certainly not looking to sell it for him here- just after some advice for him. Is it worth 3 grand?

Cheers

Joe

hp_source

I’d say it’s worth at least three – although if it doesn’t sell this time, I’d definatley get the sunroof fixed, and bolt the seats in.

Not too much call for a Defender with a lot of rear glass for ‘van/commercial’ purposes, more likely to get interest as a 6 seater I’d have thought.

Has he listed it on Pistonheads? if not I’d give that a try too, lower priced ones seem to sell quickly on there.

konabunny
    Free Member

if i were him i would consider:

– the van looks dirty which suggests it’s not been maintained. Clean the seats, scrub down the mat in the back, scrub down the mats in the front. clean the roof (if s/he can)

– delete the reference to sleeping in the back with a futon – although plenty of us here do it, it sounds weird

– when s/he mentions problems (e.g. flaking paint on bonnet), take photos of them

– if the immobiliser isn’t there any more and it doesn’t affect anything, don’t remember it

– take a photo of the FSH (the pile of documents etc). Don’t know why but people like it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

with a defender reciepts and docs are key …. puts your mind at ease with milage and the fact its not a cut and shut

stick it on landy world and the likes – ebays not the best place to sell landys.

is it worth 3 grand – probably BUT it will need to be a tidy body and engine …. rear x member needs replacing really.

geoffj

May need a spot of welding to chasis (very small patch) and part of the exhaust for its next MOT in May

This could mean anything. Outriggers are easy to replace. Replacing a section of one of the main rails isn’t.

dooosuk
    Free Member

How can he describe it as “in excellent condition” and then state welding needed in at least two areas, no sunroof etc?

I think that’ll be putting people off.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, that’s really useful feedback – I’ll pass it on to Rolf. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll probably be driving it back down to Devon for him on Sunday night!

Cheers y’all 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

doosuk – if you had bought a defender youd understand …. a landy is in excellent condition as long as it runs and moves 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

I understand alright…my brother and his wife have 2 pre 1990 landy’s but to a non landy person/buyer it surely comes across badly. Ebay has a wide audience and the wording could be improved in my view.

konabunny
    Free Member

Just reread – obviously I should have said “- if the immobiliser isn’t there any more and it doesn’t affect anything, don’t MENTION it”.

swamp_boy

Looks tidy for one that age, early 300tdi engines had a cam belt problem but if its been serviced properly they would have been sorted.

£3,000 sounds low ish to me, might be worth a look on Autotrader or one of the LR sites for comparison.

If the sun roof is the clear one that either tilts or detaches and lifts out completely I have one surplus to requirements, complete with frame if your mate is interested. Nothing wrong with it, I had to replace the roof on mine and the replacement didn’t have the hole.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Cheers swampboy,

I’ll pass it on 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I’ve always started ebay auctions for big items low. it may be worth 3k but to have that as your opening bid just puts people off. I would start it at 1 or 1.5k.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Pop onto http://www.lr4x4.com and ask, great forum, defenders are funny things to buy and sell and it’s all based on condition and can be nothing to do with age. Try advertising it in the for sale section (doesn’t show until you register).

3k does sound low for a 110 300tdi it looks like an honest truck but eBay proberly isn’t the best place to sell a landy, try any of the forums lr4x4/lro/difflock/devon4x4 etc.

HTH

Dave.

konabunny
    Free Member

what sort of mpg do those beasts get?

matt_outandabout

Our local garage Lix Toll has a machine in that is 2 years older, 125k on the clock and 3x the price…It is the one I have hired a few times from them….
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ds_search.jsp?page=2&did=9941&pageid=3&originalid=&gid=nogroup&tid=2

marcus
    Free Member

Bargain at 3K. Perfect base for a nice overland conversion or working truck. Now, do I have room on the drive ??

trail_rat
    Free Member

lix tool – known as a purveyor of overpriced old landys tbh ….

better than yan yan the landy man on ebay though

cranberry
    Free Member

what sort of mpg do those beasts get?

If you need to ask ….

Actually, if driven with a slipper rather than a boot you should be able to get into the high 20’s in terms of MPG.

mattbee

Hard to say with Defenders as far as value goes but I’d have thought easily 3k. I just sold a D plate Ninety 2.5 TD in scruffy condition but with an excellent chassis for 2k. 1 months MOT and no tax. No reserve on auction, start price of £200 and lots of photos, mostly of the scruffy bits. Feilde3d dozens of calls, had 5 people come and look and ended up with £500 more than I paid for it a year ago.

Honesty about bad bits, but in a ‘positive’ fashion or simple put without trying to justify it. Every car I’ve sold on the bay has had more pics/info about what’s wrong than anything else and I’ve always been happy. Best was a Mk1 Astra GTE with terminal rustworm that I bought for £200, ran for a year and sold for £900! Seems that if people can’t view, they are happier knowing what’s wrong and tend to be less skeptical about bits you describe as good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth? Landrover defender(ebay content)’ is closed to new replies.