Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What's it worth and what would you offer / do? (iphone content)
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

About mid morning, a senior (in age and position) member of staff that I work quite close with bursts into my office stating he was cussing me yesterday for not being here! When I quizzed him why (thinking I had done something wrong) he pulls out his brand new iphone 4 that he has been asking me about (upgrade routes etc.) for ages.
    Tells me O2 phones him and offers it free as an upgrade and he is like a child at Christmas but was struggling to set it up.

He asks me to setup the work email account on there for him which I do and as we are chatting he mentions in conversation that he has his old iphone still and would I help him sell it. I say of course and then ask how much he wants for it (with intent of buying it from him) and he doesn’t know how much they go for and starts talking about giving me something / spliting the cost as payment for selling it for him when I say ‘I’ll have it off you’. He says of course, you haven’t got an iphone and I know you want one, pulls it out of his pocket and just hands it over.

Later on when talking again about his old iphone and I say that I will sort him out with something which he says yeah sure, don’t worry about it, not sure what the market rate is for them, someone could tell me a tenner and I would believe them, I joke and say oh yeah a tenner is the going rate I’ll give you that and he jokes it off.

Now I don’t really know what to do, I know he doesn’t really know that much about these sorts of things and don’t want to offer him under the odds and feel like I am diddling him but also I don’t really want to pay full whack second hand price as I myself are due an upgrade in the not to distant future and could get an iphone 4 or even a iphone 5 if they have been released by then so don’t want to spend out too much now.

It’s an iphone 16gb (not 3GS), good condition with a small crack in the rear casing. Screen is in good nick and it’s pretty tidy.

Looking on ebay tonight some are going for good money (100 quid) that are boxed and in really good / new nick but some others don’t have any bids (starting around 40/50 quid) with only a few hours to go.

What would you offer someone for something like this? What is an exceptable mates rate when you have to decide it’s price??

Junkyard
    Free Member

Whats it worth take off 25-50% depending on how much of a mate??

RustySpanner

I’d either give him a fair price (full market value for the condition) and sell when I got my upgrade,

OR

Just give it him back and tell him thanks, but I’m due an upgrade and don’t really need it.

Must be loads out there for you to get an idea of a fair price.

fatface
    Free Member

give him 100

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

check mazuma

johnners
    Free Member

Hand it back or pay him a demonstrable going rate. You shouldn’t be looking for a steal here.

Otherwise you’re a douche.

dr_death
    Free Member

Seem to be going for jst over £100 on e-bay as you say…. I’d give him a hundred squids if you want it and then sell it when you get your upgrade.
    (iPhone 5 not out til next year according to the latest rumours)

gooner69

“sold” my 3g 8gb iphone on fleabay two weeks ago. It went for £155 at the end of auction. BUT… winner didnt pay up and disappeared, offered it to 2nd highest bidder at the £125 he bid. Unfortunately he had already bought the next one to finish. Its pretty good condition with box etc. I would say that around the £125 figure is probably market value for it (8gb) right now.

Gotta relist it now, what a pita:(

Cougar

I think I’d give him 20 quid for it, crack it on eBay, then give him the profit (less the 20 quid).

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Cougar +1

After all, what are workmates for! He’d probably stab you in the back to get one over on you at work anyway so don’t feel guilty.

EDIT: I thought your post said buy it off him for £20 then sell it for full whack on eBay 🙄

Cougar

… I did wonder!

I don’t want an iPhone particularly, but I like being helpful, and you never know when you might need a favour.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth and what would you offer / do? (iphone content)’ is closed to new replies.