Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • What's in your first aid kit?
  • willjones
    Free Member

Doing some research, and came across this useful thread from 3 yrs ago. A little reminder perhaps?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/first-aid-kit-contents-2

weeksy

My what ?

jsync

Also worth looking at it occasionally, just checked mine and it had got wet so some things no use.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

More pertinently, Where is your first aid kit? When I fell off, snapping off my elecronon and with it the end of my tricep tendon, and had an elbow squirting blood like a Monty python sketch, the kit was in the car :-/ so I ended up using a Jersey as a tourniquet for the 45 minute walk back…

willjones
    Free Member

My what ?

Same here… thought it time for some ‘insurance’. Rudimentary knowledge, but no ‘tools’ for about 15 years worth of doing silly stuff on bikes.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I think they are largely useless.

jsync

Also useful if you need something to read whilst a mate bleeds to death

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/first-aid-for-cyclists/id891259656

Marin
    Free Member

Half a roll of clingfilm.

nickc

In 15 years + I’ve never carried one, nor had to use one.

Even for wounds as bad as CTM up there, a jersey was all that was really needed. Yes, a proper gauze would have been “right tool” for the job, but he’s clearly not dead, so…

For stuff that’s just inconvenient, small cuts etc, will stop bleeding eventually, and TBH MTFU a bit, for stuff that’s life threatening, it’s probably going to be beyond the scope of what you’d be able to carry, plus the most important bit of FA is not what you carry; it’s knowing what to do.

blurty

One of these – a shell dressing. It comes in its own waterproof pouch.

willjones
    Free Member

Even for wounds as bad as CTM up there, a jersey was all that was really needed. Yes, a proper gauze would have been “right tool” for the job, but he’s clearly not dead, so…

For stuff that’s just inconvenient, small cuts etc, will stop bleeding eventually, and TBH MTFU a bit, for stuff that’s life threatening, it’s probably going to be beyond the scope of what you’d be able to carry, plus the most important bit of FA is not what you carry; it’s knowing what to do.

Ok, noted – ta. This has been my view for the past 15 years too. Will sit tight and see if there’s a compelling case for a different approach…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As Nickc says

Although I do carry a mobile and a emergency Bivvy bag

Anything else mtfu.

Edit – blurty what are you going to do with that?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Gaffa tape.

Dave
    Free Member

In 15 years + I’ve carried one and had to use it. What are we trying to prove here?

As a minimum I’d carry one of these. I reckon that’ll make the biggest difference between saving a life and dithering about…

weeksy

We used an inner tube and a stick for a mate who’d destroyed his shoulder and snapped off the ball joint 🙂

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I’ve only had to use mine a handful of times.
    While doing the BHF South Downs 100, a guy came off and smashed his face in, blood everywhere and a good few cuts. Out of a group of 10 riders, I was the only one who could offer something from a first aid kit. I find it crazy that no one had one. You may never use it, but I’d always like to have it just in case.

willjones
    Free Member

What are we trying to prove here?

Nothing. Just setting out to learn what’s genuinely useful and what’s not in the context of mountain biking.

blurty

@FunkyDunk

I’ve never had to use it yet tbh.

I’d use it to cover an open wound/ open fracture. As a sling. As a tournequet

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Blurty – If they have an open fracture/wound, surely you would be dialing 999 pretty dam quick?

Have you been trained when to use a tournequet 😯

Scapegoat

Good point. Just checked mine… well, the part of my pack that was originally designated for first aid kits. It contains a triangular bandage, a field dressing, three nitryl gloves, one of which appears to have lost a finger, half of a twin mars bar with suspiciously greying edges, and a 9 speed powerlink. Just one. Oh, and a half dissolved Hi-5 tab.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pills – Antohistamine (some strong stuff and some non drowsy stuff) and paracetemol, Ibuprofen and some asprin.

Some bandages and plasters.

Eye wash which I’ve also used to rinse a cut.

sachet or two of suncream

Normally a couple of small bags of haribo but I might have raided those.

I’ve never used any of it on myself but its been used a few times.

MTFU is fine but why bother if you can make it as comfortable as possible?

blurty

FunkyDunk.

I’d ring for Mountain rescue if I had a signal for sure.

Yes, I know how to use a tourniquet.

I’d use the dressing to lightly cover an open fracture – nothing more invasive.

thegreatape
    Free Member

One of those pads you stick on a moderate to nasty cut and a bandage to hold it there. That’s the only thing I thought would actually ever be useful that I could also competently use. Might pinch one of those CPR things from work too.

simon1975

Steristrips! I’ve saved wounds from needing proper stitches with steristrips on a couple of occasions. The 3M ones stick properly, the NHS ones don’t.

Small scissors to cut clothing / bandages / plasters and aforementioned steristrips.

Clean wipes.

Painkillers.

Milkie
    Free Member

Ibrufen, Paracetamol, Tramadol, Antihistamines, some bandages, plasters, steritrips & foil blanket. I only carry this if it’s a big ride with my ill prepared friends. 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yes, I know how to use a tourniquet.

Go on then enlighten us.

Here is a useful bit of advice: http://www.southsnowdoniamountainrescueteam.co.uk/calling-for-help/ 112 and texting for the emergency services.

Nick

I could have done with something to cover this up, fortunately I only had a mile to ride home, mostly on road, would have been a real arse to have had to get down off the top of somewhere more remote.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mYcPLX]2014-04-08 21.16.48[/url] by nickgilling, on Flickr

mjsmke

A 1 ounce flask of absinth.

IdleJon

Ibrufen, Paracetamol, Tramadol, Antihistamines, some bandages, plasters, steritrips & foil blanket

How wise it is to give Tramadol to another rider? Genuine question – I thought it was prescription only and had various side effects associated. If you gave Tramadol, what would happen if the injured rider needed surgery, for instance? And if prescription only, what are the legal ramifications?

Drac

The 3M ones stick properly, the NHS ones don’t.

Just like the ones I use at work then.

I take it you know how to close wounds?

andyl
    Free Member

Insulation tape (makeshift bandage, strap fingers etc), an inner tube (makeshift sling), pick up sticks from the woods when needed (splint with masking tape) and cable ties (secure falling off bit’s of body)

Nick – that looks tasty!

gazc
    Free Member

always carry a silver foil space blanket, bandage/something to mop up blood/make a tourniquet from & a whistle as a minimum. luckily haven’t had a life threatening incident

so far i’ve had to stick a hole in my head together with gaffer tape, bandage up a hole in a mates hand and helped another mate down innerleithen with a huge gash in his thigh (& go back up for the bikes)

Milkie
    Free Member

How wise it is to give Tramadol to another rider? Genuine question

It is only for me and one other guy who is also used to it and only for extreme emergency back pain. I would certainly not give it to anyone who has not had it before.

Sui
    Free Member

Currently just an FFD as up there, but a new one which holds on to itself – annoying really the old ones could be used as asherman seals. Also a tourniquet, though shiz really has to go wrong for that to come out.. steri wipes, plasters bandages and also some second skin stuff (liquid or spray) can be very handy as it’s antiseptic.

mc
    Free Member

The last I looked in my 1st aid kit (that I rarely carry on the bike and usually resides in the car) various bandages, some micropore tape, scissors, and I think there may be a few plasters.

I do however always carry a spare jersey, and have quite a bit of gaffer tape wrapped around my pump.

Two key things I remember from my MBL and first aid instructors are, one, a mobile phone is the most important thing to carry. Getting help for serious injuries is far more important than treating them.
    Two, the only wounds you’re interested in dealing with on the trail, are ones where big holes or lots of blood are involved. Anything that a plaster or antiseptic wipe will cure, can wait until you’re of the hill where you’ll have far better facilities to clean and dress it properly.
    And for breakages, get creative. A jersey/inner tube/vet wrap/gaffer tape is far more useful than a triangular bandage will ever be.

As for drugs, my first aid instructor recommended carrying some aspirin in case you have to deal with somebody having a suspected heart attack, and possibly some ibuprofen for more general use.
    The key things are, you should only ever offer the drugs, as you shouldn’t be telling people to take drugs, and if the person is likely to need surgery, they probably shouldn’t be taking drugs. However if you’re an hour or more away from help getting to you, some ibuprofen may help reduce pain a bit until some proper pain relief arrives. Just remember to tell the medics what they’ve taken.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Carry a first aid kit – mostly stuff to stop bleeding and over the counter pain relief – notepad to record what they’ve had.

As above, steri strips, sterilising wipes, a pair of latex gloves, medical tape, gauze pads and a space blanket, in winter I carry a bivvi bag too.

Have been looking at those nylon shelters after a worrying incident with an injury and broken bike on the moors in freezing rain and high winds.

TiRed

I carry a small kit on all rides;

Antiseptic wipes
    15×15 cm adhesive dressing
    7.5×7.5 cm adhesive dressing
    Duct tape

All wrapped in cling film and slipped into a tool bottle or rear pocket. Really just for the immediate treatment of road rash that might make continuing uncomfortable.

For off road I also carry iodine spray, more plasters and antiseptic bite cream in a proper kit in the rucksack.

Used both sets several times. Including on myself. The road kit is about the same size as a spare tube.

nickc

my first aid instructor recommended carrying some aspirin in case you have to deal with somebody having a suspected heart attack

How d’you know if they’re allergic? What size dose are you going to give them? If they think they’re having a heart attack but are still concious and breathing, TBH best bet is to make sure they’re kept still, and dial 999, leave the drugs to the paramedics.

Drac

How d’you know if they’re allergic?

Ask them?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Blurty when would you use a tourniquet ?

Please don’t use one on me unless I some how manage to amputate a limb and blood is splurting out

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What's in your first aid kit?’ is closed to new replies.