Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's holding my hob to my worktop?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That’s hob btw.

One for the gas/kitchen types.

Just moved house and we have changed all of the appliances, the last one is the gas hob.

Before I go any further I’m not changing it, my gas engineer is.

He hasn’t seen it but priced it on a like for like swap, the new hob has the same dimensions as the old one and also a similar gas pipe arrangement but I cant see how it is held to the worktop.

The new one has a clamp arrangement that grips the underside of the worktop and I was expecting the old one to be the same. From what I can work out it just looks/feels like it has been stuck down as it is solid. I don’t fancy damaging the worktop for the sake of a new hob so has anybody any ideas?

Thanks.

footflaps

Probably a bit of mastic and gravity….

andyl
    Free Member

probably just siliconed in. Bodgers favourite tool.

You could try running a blade under the edge to free it up if you suspect it is.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ours is stuck down with thick putty like self adhesive material.

andyl
    Free Member

I remember when I fitted my ceramic hob it came with a roll of black self adhesive foam to put under the lip and then you used the clips underneath to secure. It could be this with years of grime etc

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Probably a bit of mastic and grav[s]it[/s]y….

Fixed that for you, it will almost certainly be stuck down with old gravy.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Fixed that for you, it will almost certainly be stuck down with old gravy.

Nice gravy/stock joke, Paulo Oxo.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Why thank you 🙂

chickenman

No clips on that and no sealing of the cut out…somebody was in a hurry. Some have spring clips on the side, this on looks stuck down.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As said it’ll be the adhesive putty stuff.

Whilst clips are nice to have it’s not always possible to fit them, the way my new hob has been fitted means we can’t actually clip it in as the cut runs right on the cupboard edge. Given how hard the old one was stuck down I’m not really too bothered, once it gets stuck down it’s not likely to shift in a hurry.

scaredypants

it will almost certainly be stuck down with old gravy

Yeh, it’s jus been dropped in there – I’d be asking for a reduction from the fitter. Bloody sauce !

chickenman

If the cut out is centred there should be a bit of worktop to fix the clips to (or a wee scallop out of the unit gable can help too).The mastic stuff is just bluetack I think.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks all, will break out the Stanley knife.

My only worry is that the new hob has a slightly smaller ‘top’ that sits on top of the work top so any damage caused removing the old one will be easy to see.

Might dig out some fishing braid from the tackle bag and see if I can work it under.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You have no clips, gas hobs don’t normally have spring clips either. I’m my experience (as a kitchen fitter) having removed many hundreds over the years, normally they’re stuck in with gravity and a bit of putty on the under rim, either that or years of cooking detritus welding them in. Just get you hands underneath and give it a push, it’ll move no problem I would have thought. A lot of new hobs don’t bother with any clipping mechanism.

When the new one goes in, seal the cut edge of the worktop with some silicone to stop moisture ingress.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks Bs but it is properly stuck down with something, as you suggest with putty or similar. I have tried levering it softly from underneath but it won’t budge. It has a glass top so I’m wary of breaking the glass. I’m hoping I can use the fishing braid as a wire saw to cut through the putty/silicone/gravy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's holding my hob to my worktop?’ is closed to new replies.