Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • whats happened to the youth!
  • legend76
    Free Member

are their expectations to high or to low?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is their grammar getting worse?

maxray
    Free Member

I don't know but in my day it was all fields.

thomthumb
    Free Member

nothing happened to the youth other than you got old! 😀

legend76
    Free Member

to right and i feel it an all :mrgreen:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well since they are fed a daily diet of unattainable dreams, I would say that their expectations are quite high.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Neither – their education and parenting is letting them down, their expectations are about right.

GrahamS

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?"

— George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000.

iDave
    Free Member

they saw us lot and thought 'fk off, not going to be like those retards'

so they made sure they're retarded in a different way

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Bring back bush!

ton

they became parents……..

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sadly, they turned into us.

legend76
    Free Member

where i live they all look like their auditioning for pop idol!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

where i live they all look like their auditioning for pop idol!

Do you live near the 'Brit School'?

legend76
    Free Member

you also know your getting old when someone calls you mister at the bus stop.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do you live near the 'Brit School'?

I do………have I won anything ?

Bunnyhop

I'm fed up of teachers and schools being blamed. It's parenting.
    People focus too much on the teenagers getting boozed up and anti social behaviour. All the youngsters I know are really well behaved and are being brought up as respectable members of society. Of course this is boring and wouldn't make news headlines.

A chav apologised to a friend and me on a night ride last week for blocking our path with his souped up corsa. There is hope!

legend76
    Free Member

i agree bunnyhop the media seem to focus on the bad news not the good. as for binge drinking is that a modern day thing? surely people have always drank to excess

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don't blame the media. It's their customers that want them to focus on the bad news.

legend76
    Free Member

thats true ernie, i do agree with the blame the parents concept though they seem to be in a vicious circle.

jon1973
    Free Member

. All the youngsters I know are really well behaved and are being brought up as respectable members of society.

Thankyou. It's not always the kids behaving badly I was minding my own business the other day talking part in a fishing competition and someone rode over and broke my carbon rod for no reason. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Haven't a clue and don't care. Spotty retards.

Don't have any. Well, none that I know of. :mrgreen:

steve_b77
    Free Member

If they've got their head screwed on, the opportunities out there are fantastic. Traineeships with companies such as the one I work for can offer them funded higher education, a wage while they are working and a job at the end of it.

Wage wise we're not talking old school apprenticeship pittance either, 3rd year trainees are on in the region of £18k!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

wtf Steve no minimum wage for apprentices, wages set at NI threshold(non contributory)the LSC. Statistically more likely to be unemployed /NEET at present than older generations. Steve your company are very generous[and large employer I assume] and definetly not the rule — please dont make me reference this but i will if I must…it'spart of my job.
    All generations throughout time think the one after them is lawless, feckless, lazy , chavy , criminal etc.
    What did parents think of teddy boys, mods, beatnicks,hippies, punks, new romantics (they had apoint there),Goths,ravers etc the only change is we are now the parents!
    Like any cross section of society they have there good uns and there bad uns.
    I also think we blame govt/ agencies as if it is our/their fault that their parents dont give a **** about them and let them grow up feral. Befriend one and see how much difference you can make!

will
    Free Member

In general I don't think young people have high enough goals.
    Certainly alot of my mates haven't got a clue what they want to do, and more than happy just plodding along. I think university is partly to blaim for this as there are just so many useless courses which hide you away from the real life/world for just that little bit longer, then there are masters… 🙄

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup they are a large and profitable, cash rich copany, which is actually growing!!

It's a damm site better than when I did my apperenticeship with another (formerly) big international company

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If they've got their head screwed on, the opportunities out there are fantastic.

Fantastic ? It's never been worst …….. well not since records began anyway.

There is just under two and a half million unemployed. Youth unemployment makes up almost one million of that figure.

Furthermore, long-term youth unemployment is extremely high – more than a third have been looking for work for over six months.

Opportunities for young people today are absolute shite. The fact that some companies still need to train people doesn't change that fact.

And no, youth unemployment isn't, because young people have all suddenly become lazy since the American banks went tits up and a global recession kicked in. It's the result of a crap system which has failed them.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

ernie – No prize this time. I used to travel up to London a couple of days a week and there were always groups of BRIT kids completely destroying the art of singing on the train. Never have I heard scales sung so poorly, their departure from the train at Selhurst couldn't come too soon. A similar horror hits my ears everytime my darling wife switches on x-factor, hence the question.

noteeth
    Free Member

There was never any more inception than there is now,
    Nor any more youth or age than there is now;
    And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
    Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.

That said, the prospects for employment are pretty shite.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It's a damm site better than when I did my apperenticeship with another (formerly) big international company

Did you read what I said?
    Your company is the exception not the rule.
    Dont generalise from this company to the entire economy and every single apprenticeship /youth employment opportunity in the country. It is not the case at all. If you disagree I am happy to read the peer review article that supports your view that they have never had it so good perception.

oddjob
    Free Member

Apparently our generation has grown up unaware that there are two words "to" and "too"

God knows how bad it will get in the future…

grumm
    Free Member

All generations throughout time think the one after them is lawless, feckless, lazy , chavy , criminal etc.
    What did parents think of teddy boys, mods, beatnicks,hippies, punks, new romantics (they had apoint there),Goths,ravers etc the only change is we are now the parents!

This.

We have a pretty bad attitude towards young people in this country.

The demonisation of young people was a prominent theme. The report regretted a "general climate of intolerance and negative public attitudes towards children"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/04/justice.youthjustice

maxray
    Free Member

Just think the poor souls will miss out on ace things like hedge pron and having to go to the arcade to play the latest computer game. I'm sure it is not all rose tinted glasses, kids now adays are all just plugged into their iphone and live their social lives across texts, chat rooms and social networking sites… you have to think the real interaction with one another we had as kids before the internet etc must have been better?

cuckoo
    Free Member

Judging by the original posters' inability to distinguish 'to' and 'too' the grammar level was pretty low to begin with 😉

Edit..

Doh! Just seen oddjobs' post 😳

ourmaninthenorth

Can we not just engage some of these plebs to manufacture a giant carpet, and then we can sweep them and all of their problems under it?

🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think its rather sad that kid these days seem to aspire to being famous as an end in itself.
    If I was going to be famous, i would want it to be recognition for something worthwhile, not be seen in the daily rags flashing my knickers, or appearing in court for a drunk clubbing type incident after a 2-1 away win that day…
    It seems that a lot of kids have their expectations set unrealistically high and that everything in life comes easily and they then discover that actually it doesnt.
    Being force fed the sort of tripe in some of the dailys and chat magazines is bound to have a deterimental effect on their expectations.

Im doing my best not to do this with my son, but that means im taking some sort of responsibility for my sons development. Modern life doesnt help, i.e. both parents at work during the day, but we're trying!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I don't think there is anything to woory about, young people seem able to look after themselves alright. Handy those war memorials.

(Not one to look on the Daily Hate website usually but I spotted this pic on another website).

legend76
    Free Member

lol noticed my grammar mistake to late to edit it,written at work in a hurry 😳

alpin
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Well since they are fed a daily diet of unattainable dreams, I would say that their expectations are quite high

i'd agree with that.

why the big emphasis on going to university and attainin high grades when there simply aren't enough 'grad' jobs to go around?

i'm going to post this up again in the hope that you will watch it. i think the guy has some very good points regarding the way we educate.
    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

the way in which we live is wrong. we all aspire too much, work too long, buy too much crap, worry about work.

adam_h
    Free Member

In general I don't think young people have high enough goals.
    Certainly alot of my mates haven't got a clue what they want to do, and more than happy just plodding along. I think university is partly to blaim for this as there are just so many useless courses which hide you away from the real life/world for just that little bit longer, then there are masters…

I couldn't agree more with this. Out of all my mates I went to school with, I'm the only one who left school to get a job and not go to uni. Most of them didn't know what they wanted to do, so went to uni and are currently doing some useless degree. I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do, but got a job and I'm 2 years through my 4 year apprenticeship now. I'm earning good money considering I only started this time 2 years ago (on course to do £20k this year), whereas most of my mates are going to be leaving uni with over £20k of debt and no job to go to.

Abit off topic from the OP but hey 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘whats happened to the youth!’ is closed to new replies.