Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What's happened to 2ltr bottles of Coke?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I was in the supermarket yesterday and noticed that there were no 2ltr bottles of Cocacola, but instead there were 1.75ltr bottles, anyone know why they’ve done away with the bigger bottles?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The size and price of large Coca-Cola bottles in our supermarkets is going to change – the 2 litre bottle is being taken off the shelves, and replaced with a sleeker 1.75 litre version.

The full price of 2 litres? £2.05. The new bottles are expected to retail at £1.85. That’s 87.5% of the volume of the old bottle, but 90.2% of the old price, or 3.5p more per litre.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Like every other company, so they can charge the same for less.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

check Iceland, often have 2 litre bottles with 50% extra free (ie a 3l bottle) – MH patients love the place

hora
    Free Member

One recent run of ads on the TV: Our deodorant bottle is shrinking so we can charge you more for less.

Plus the governments decision on chocolate bar/obesity: Snickers, Mars etc all shrunk…..and still same price.

Obesity isn’t just about eating a tiny bit less its more about WHAT you eat and how much you physically move your arse. 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

Obesity isn’t just about eating a tiny bit less its more about WHAT you eat and how much you physically move your arse.

Portion size, as well as content and exercise, is a critical factor in reducing obesity. Any move in that direction, no matter how small, is a good one.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Baaaaaa!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I thought coke came in a bag? Or possibly a drug mule?

righog
    Free Member

They just look smaller as the Hookers are getting bigger ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The only reason to buy 2ltrs of coke is to shake the bottle until it explodes, hilarious. 🙄

jekkyl

I noted this too, one wonders where it will end, things can’t continue to get smaller and smaller, there has to be a finite point. Will we all be there in 20 years with a thimble of coke for 2 quid?

kayak23

The slightly smaller ones fit in those big cup holders in cars.
    Supersize me…

ratherbeintobago

Portion size, as well as content and exercise, is a critical factor in reducing obesity.

You’re partially right. Dietary intake is the only thing that makes a significant difference; for most people, exercise (while it’s still good for you) doesn’t burn off enough calories to make a difference.

maccruiskeen

anyone know why they’ve done away with the bigger bottles?

It might be a way of trying to protect profits from rising raw material costs – there are price thresholds people won’t go over for some products so if your costs are going up you have to sell less for the same price – its usually most noticeable with chocolate.

The other reason could be – cylindrical bottles create a lot of voids when being transported and because coke is under pressure it can’t go in square cartons. A lot of the cost of bottled / cartoned drinks is the transport rather than the contents. 10 litres of orange juice needs 1 litre diesel to get it from the farm to the supermarket and thats with no voids created by the packing. A narrower or shorter bottle might allow you to get more product and less air onto a truck

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One recent run of ads on the TV: Our deodorant bottle is shrinking so we can charge you more for less.

I was in ASDA the other day and I’ll admit I was as cynical as you, but the ‘compressed’ cans were actualy cheeper. Presumably there’s just half the butane in them, or it’s swapped for propane and a more efficient atomiser.

JEngledow
    Free Member

A narrower or shorter bottle might allow you to get more product and less air onto a truck

I doubt this by looking at the bottle shapes:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The other reason could be – cylindrical bottles create a lot of voids when being transported and because coke is under pressure it can’t go in square cartons. A lot of the cost of bottled / cartoned drinks is the transport rather than the contents. 10 litres of orange juice needs 1 litre diesel to get it from the farm to the supermarket and thats with no voids created by the packing. A narrower or shorter bottle might allow you to get more product and less air onto a truck

True, but the new bottle is curvier than the last, so unless they’re actualy going to squash them together it can’t be that.

I’m going with someone thinking of a tax on junk food applying to “portions” over 1000calories or somesuch. 200g bars of chocolate seem to have all but dissapered and been replaced by 120g bars as well.

That and marketing, there’s not much other than the bottle to make coke stand out from Pepsi, or generic cola, they’re all in the same bottles on the same shelf.

maccruiskeen

True, but the new bottle is curvier than the last,

Fair enough then – I don’t buy pop so unfamiliar with that isle in the supermarket

I doubt any pressure about portion size is behind it because any bottle that size is obviously multiple portions. There was an issue with king-size chocolate bars a while back – Mars and Cadburys came under scrutiny and Cadburys were able to wriggle off the hook on the basis that their bars are in segments/chunks and therefore – they reasoned – were for sharing, they weren’t one large portion. Thats why all the Mars kingsize bars became ‘Duo’s’ – two small bars in one pack so that they could claim they were selling two small portions rather than one large one. Interestingly the 500ml bottles of coke now claim on the back of the label to be two portions. Its a shame most shops don’t seem to be aware of this as they’ve mostly stopped selling cans (accept as multipacks) and won’t put anything smaller than 500ml on the shelf.

mudshark
    Free Member

Dietary intake is the only thing that makes a significant difference; for most people, exercise (while it’s still good for you) doesn’t burn off enough calories to make a difference.

Is ‘most people’ the key part to this? Doesn’t apply to me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What’s happened to 2ltr bottles of Coke?

I’ve absolutely no idea. Surely you don’t drink the filthy muck?

mudshark
    Free Member

I like Coke – 20p/can where I’m working,

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely you don’t drink the filthy muck?

Not only is it filthy muck but it’s filthy foreign muck. And it’s served in measurements which appeals to simple minds that struggle to understand proper measurements such as fluid ounces.

I blame the EU.

It’s ginger beer or lemonade served by the lashings for me.

joshvegas
    Free Member

pffft

Its Dandelion and Burdock for me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s ginger beer or lemonade served by the lashings for me.

That’s because you’re a very naughty boy.

Cougar

it’s served in measurements which appeals to simple minds that struggle to understand proper measurements such as fluid ounces.

Like America?

mattyboy24
    Free Member

It’s a way of getting through a price increase for one.

A supplier can stop making a product anytime they wish (in this case 2L), they can then introduce a new product or pack format and charge what they wish (usually more for less c. +10% price increase) this way they can increase profit mid year and mid contract without having to negotiate with the customer.

A similar thing has just happened with companies moving from charging £35 for 12l of syrup to now only making 7l packs and charging around £30.

Cheers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What's happened to 2ltr bottles of Coke?’ is closed to new replies.