Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • what's going to happen to our capitalist system?
  • alpin
    Free Member

does anyone else think that the capitalist system can't go on?

capitalism requires continual economic growth, and will inevitably deplete the finite natural resources of the earth.

nature sets limits on animal and plant life size and numbers. will it set a limit on the gowth of capitalism?

will capitalism stop growing when the world's population stops growing?

humanity's Ecological Footprint grew by 150% between 1961 and 2000 and most of that growth occurred in the 27 wealthiest countries of the world. what will happen when the chinese people – who's economy is the fouth largest in the world, still relatively undeveloped yet at the same time the fastest growing – develop a taste for the western lifestyle?

jam-bo

not really.

IanMunro
    Free Member

This might be worth a read, though I haven't read it myself yet.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5be351c4-d568-11de-81ee-00144feabdc0.html

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At some point there will be a catastrophic collapse as growth and demand outstrip supply for the essentials of life. Population will fall to sustainable levels and it will make the plague / black death look like a cold.

Keva
    Free Member

I hope it dies with it's head up it's own ar$e.

dave360

it'll be fine

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, but that sound like Commie talk to me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

can't we all just work 3 days a week?

woody2000

I reckon we'll just find somewhere else to rape and pillage. Probably…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For all the people that knock capitalism, think of all the things that we use today that would not of happened without some reward for entrepreneurial endeavour?

I don't want to see your replies if you truly disagree, because you wouldn't have any means to communicate them to me.

binners

Capitalism will just reach its logical conclusion. Inevitably we'll all be beating each other to death with sticks over the last can of beans in the shop.

While rich merchant bankers sit on balconies watching. Dining on human organs and swans, baying as we gouge each others eyes out

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ernie_lynch to the forum…

(I'm pretty sure he could explain it ALL!) :mrgreen:

glenp
    Free Member

Had a quick glance at the link that Ian suggested – interesting summary.

At the moment we have just got flat out denial – the idea that economic growth and emissions can be decoupled is just pie in the sky. We will have to face up to the fact that endlessly increasing consumption is not what makes us happy. We won't though, because greed is a powerful disease.

aracer
    Free Member

I think it's actually Stoner you're after Mr Woppit (though you may not agree with what he says).

Who says capitalism requires continual economic growth? Our current model of capitalism maybe, but is that the only model or just the one we've ended up with?

mcboo
    Free Member

does anyone else think that the capitalist system can't go on?

Did someone just turn back the clocks to 1984?

Capitalism will stop growing when the ruling elite (govts and major industrialists) have used up the majority of the planet's natural essential resources and there is nowhere left to dump all our waste/discarded produce.

Once that happens we'll be pretty screwed as a race, environmentally and economically.

I don't think there's anything we can do to avert the inevitable, just slow it down. Unfortunately, it's a problem our children, grand children or great grand children to deal with (or fortunately for most of us as we won't be around long enough to have to deal with it).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

aracer – Member

I think it's actually Stoner you're after Mr Woppit (though you may not agree with what he says).

Isn't our ern some kind of "marxist" theorist?

alpin
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member

Capitalism will stop growing when the ruling elite (govts and major industrialists) small frame producers have used up the majority of the planet's natural essential resources and there is nowhere left to dump all our waste/discarded produce.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

There was a report on the BBC news in the last couple of years showing how Indian call centre workers were losing their jobs to Africans who would work for less. Sooner or later there will be no-one left in the world who will work for peanuts and living standards throughout the world will be far more even than they are now. The losers wil be those who cannot resolve regional conflicts and the current 'first world' who will see large rises in the prices of manufactured goods as cheap labour becomes a rarity. The price of imported food will also rise as increasing prosperity for the third world nations allows the producers to achieve better prices locally and become less reliant on exporting.

That's my forecast.

dogmatix

I would say for the UK it seems to have distinct disadvantages in the long term. Chinese and Indian Corporates have far more potential to outgrow buy up and streamline smaller UK companies. When the only interest a company pays attention to is that of it's share holders then society has problems. Unfortunatley there are no real checks and balances, or any effective moderating legislation. It is a cliche but one fast becoming more true. The rich get richer and the poor will get poorer. We do not have a stakeholder economy just a shareholder economy.

Interms of growth and population size, I think wars often stimulate growth. With the worlds limited resources nature will limit us as much as any other species. War and starvation may be the inevitable outcome. That's if you believe this well respected scientist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLA-Sn6bi-U .

Historians seem to think there is never any shift in global power without conflict. So the exchange of power from the US to China may not go smoothly. Especially with potential flash points such as Taiwan.

Then again, we might all use the great power for social cohesion called the internet and community group our way to a more peaceful and caring solution?

I think people here are confusing capitalism with consumerism.
    Any system of government can continue indefinitely.
    Any society that uses non renewable resources can not.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘what's going to happen to our capitalist system?’ is closed to new replies.