Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's going on with DT Swiss forks ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

They used to sell themselves on the Torsion Box technology, i.e. the bonded/hollow brace section, which was very good, apart from the clear lacquer coming off.

And now their new range has done away with Torsion Box, and their selling point appears to be ‘One Piece Mag’ lowers – as if that’s supposed to be a new thing ?? Even Suntour XCRs have one piece magnesium lowers…. 😯

Am I missing something here ?

chestrockwell

I read somewhere that they simplified the design this year for cost reasons. Brought the rrp down which it needed to. Believe production has shifted to the Far East also.

I thought my old XMM’s were beautifully made but the new ones look a bit meh. Saying that, you don’t see many about so if they bring costs down but keep the performance up leading to more being sold it’ll be a win for them.

I thought WMB were well out of order scoring DT’s down in the recent test due to past reliability issues when Fox come near the top with no mention of how fragil they are. How can you score them down because a completley different fork was not up to scratch? It does nothing to prove wrong those who think the big boys have undue influence with the mags.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply – it did make me suspect DT had changed their design/manufacturing team or something drastic – it just seems like a weird marketing decision to highlight a feature (one-piece) that’s the same for all other makes. DT are normally able to market something really innovative. It worries me that DT might be trying to phase out suspension products – probably due to ruthless competition from Fox and SRAM.

I wasn’t aware of any poor reviews, certainly in terms of reliability. My EXMs have been flawless for the past 2 years and proved easy to service every part. My mates with XMMs have had similarly good experiences.

I’m not sure I’d now want to invest in a re-designed product from DT when it next comes to buying new forks. I’d either get some ’14 XMMs from CRC, or have to switch brand 🙁

DiscJockey
    Free Member

and yes, I very rarely trust the totally inconsistent reviews from WMB – my suspicion is that they give favourable reviews to a particular product to make sure certain suppliers/agents keep posting them nice new toys each year !

chestrockwell

I wasn’t aware of any poor reviews, certainly in terms of reliability. My EXMs have been flawless for the past 2 years and proved easy to service every part. My mates with XMMs have had similarly good experiences.

Just what WMB said and not backed up by any facts. My DT’s were certainly no less reliable then any Rockshox or Fox I’ve had.

hora
    Free Member

DT Swiss

Who?

mos

Jeez, 8yrs now since Pace sold to DT swiss. Time flies, i thought it was only a couple of years ago!

hatter

Rumour has it that DT have just sunk a whole load of money into their fork R&D, taken on some new people and are planning to launch something interesting at Eurobike.

Would be good to see another proper player in the XC and trail fork market, DT forks lost a bit of their pazazz when they dropped the cool looking torsion box lowers, especially the carbon ones the current range looks well made but unexciting, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's going on with DT Swiss forks ?’ is closed to new replies.