Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • what's going on here? Golf TDI random oil content
  • Pook

Just topping the washer up and I’ve noticed this. It’s had a service about 1000 miles ago and nothing was flagged. Oil light not on, running well. This doesn’t look at all right though.

What’s going on?

(I know that’s not the washer tank by the way!)

steveh

Well that’s the fuel filter, definitely oil on top not fuel? Clean it and see if it comes back, could easily have been a little spillage?

Pook

Hmm could be diesel. Wasn’t dirty enough for oil thinking about it. I’ve cleaned it up. Is there a gasket in there?

dooge
    Free Member

I had the same on my Bora which had an older PD engine. Generally its not leaking on the filter itself, probably from the hoses/filter connection. The clamps that hold the hose on are pants, try replacing with similar size jubilee clamps (fairly cheap from eBay) as the original ones stretch and have to be put in exactly the same place as before. Too far back or forward and there isnt a sufficient seal around the nipple of the filter.

steveh

As above in that case if it was fuel most likely is slight weeping from one of those hoses. However keep an eye on it and see if it comes back – if it does check all the hoses are on properly (with some technical wiggling) and potentially replace if needed.

Pook

I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks both

pacerc200
    Free Member

Was the filer replaced at the service?
    They have been know to leak if the seal is not replaced or lid not refitted correctly.
    Had seen a couple that leaked onto the ribbed belt causing it to fail and wrap itself around the crankshaft pulley and into timing covers causing the timing belt to fail.
    Don’t mess about get it sorted ASAP!!!

Pook

I’ll check the receipt

garage-dweller

As above I would guess fuel now I know what that silver thing is.

Similar kind of colour as what was escaping from the common rail on the mondeo a couple of years back when the pipe to injectors was leaking at the union

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘what's going on here? Golf TDI random oil content’ is closed to new replies.