Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What's flavour of the month for brake pads?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

For new XT brakes.

Nearly shat myself when I saw the price of Shimano ones in the shop.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anyone?

Simon

Been using Superstar kevlar in my SLXs.
    25 quid for 4 pairs.

jekkyl

superstar all the way, cheap and work well.

matther01
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with sintered Uberbike ones IMO

sam_underhill

Shimano from rose bikes or when on mega offer at UK online shops. Still more expensive than superstar etc. But not too bad if you stock up when on offer. Full rrp of shimano sintered finned pads is mental.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with sintered Uberbike ones IMO

This.

MartynS

Using uberbikecomponents sintered on XT here as well.. Get a bit of noise in the wet bug nothing to bad.

However the GFs bike has avid elixer brakes, and the überbike pads howl like a howly thing. Need to try another brand and see if that helps

chrishc777
    Free Member

I use organic superstar pads, don’t last as long as sintered but I’d rather change them a little more often than have squeaky brakes. I hate squeaky brakes more than anything

thegreatape
    Free Member

So superstar are pretty much ok now then? I recall there used to be a lot of grumbling about them falling apart.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I know someone who had them fall apart, that was years ago though and the issue has been sorted from what I hear. Been through lots of sets with no issues

kimbers

Must admit the uberbikes squeal on the wet is a bit annoying

oldnick

Now trying uberbike pads (the white ones whichever they are) after a superstar pad squealed itself apart a couple of months back (at least when the pad material fell off it stopped squeaking 🙂 )
    Ps I have owned and used a SS pad/piston pushy back tool for a couple of years!

emac65
    Free Member

Discobrakes for me,used them for years without any problems

Fat-boy-fat

Different slant on the same question … what do you reckon are the best pads? I got a heck of an amount of brake fade with Shimano sintered pads on this year’s big trip away. Are there any other pads out there that deal with heat a bit better? I didn’t boil my brakes but definitely glazed both my pads and discs.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Swisstop are the best I used in the Alps, just too expensive though.

superfli
    Free Member

Uberbike Race matrix are good. The sintered ones squeal when wet.

MartynS

Chris85

Thank you for that link.. Bookmarked!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Happy with my Ubers. Just bought the white kevlars, so cant report back on those, but the sintered work great and even the normal ones in the dry are great.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Superstar Kevlars were good in my XTs but the Uberbike race matrix have been even better.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Sintered Uberbike ere !.

oldfart

Got 3 pair brand new Superstar sintered yours for £12 E Mail me if interested rolandjulie2001@yahoo.co.uk

Tracey

Uberbike race matrix have been great for us. Been using them for over a year in all conditions incuding Abigales five weeks and our three in the Alps. No squealing or brake fade and last for ages.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Old fart, thanks very much for the offer, but I think I’ll try the race matrix ones.

I notice the uberbikes floating rotors look quite nice. Anyone tried those? Wondering how much – if any – of a benefit they would be at some point in future for a big old lump of a rider?

Northwind

I’ve got a mix of superstar and discobrakes kevlars, can’t tell any difference, both excellent. Can be noisy though. They’re in top class brakes which helps but they’ve always kept going while other folks’ brakes drop like flies. Also, the pad backing material is extremely grippy and barely any less effective than the friction material, which has been quite useful 😉

matty456
    Free Member

Just trying out SStar organic on my rigid 29er, lots of grab from the off, waiting for a new front disc as mine’s warped, only realized after new pads went on. Using deore brakes.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Uber pads here, shimano slx, all good but very noisy on today’s descent from Semnoz to Annecy 8) running avid discs which may be the problem.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What's flavour of the month for brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.