Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Whats classed as high mileage on a car now a days ??
  • dekadanse
    Free Member

250K on anything other than a French car or a Rover.
    inbred456, I’ve emailed you about your Saab!

dekadanse
    Free Member

PS – or maybe that should read, inbred456, I’ve TRIED to email you re the Saab, but it’s bounced back. Please contact me (email in profile). Thanks.

milky1980
    Free Member

’05 Fiesta 1.25 on 115k, running sweet as the day I bought it (3yr old, 1.8k). Trim is constantly falling off though but I use it as a van – bike in boot, never washed.

Had a full inspection done a few months ago, guy said I could pass it off as 30k as the engine had no wear on the bores, clutch was good and it’s got 0 rust anywhere!! Lives on the M4 most of the time!!

deviant
    Free Member

I bought loads of 100k+ cars when i was 17/18/19 years old, necessity rather than choice….but looking back none of them ever needed any major repairs….head gaskets went on a couple but a local garage will do a head gasket on an 8-valve car for £400-£500…..even when the head gasket needed doing on the other half’s Ford Puma (16-valve, variable cam timing)…it was only £800 at a local garage.

Mani dealer prices are obscene….a colleague has just taken her 5 year old Ssangyong into the dealership and been presented with a £5,000 bill….another mate needed the suspension sorting on his Discovery, main dealer did the work and handed him a bill for 5k too…..i took an Isuzu Trooper to a main dealer when it was leaking fuel and got charged £1000+, still didnt fix the problem…..took it to the local garage who found a loose bolt at the back of the engine causing the problem…..charged me nothing for tightening the bolt and was gobsmacked when i told him Isuzu had just taken a grand from me for not fixing the problem!…..a mate’s BMW (just out of warranty) needed £2000 spending on the steering rack…..ridiculous.

Mrs Deviant worked in a Mazda dealership for a while and the workshop seemed to exist for no other reason than legalised extortion….make friends with your local mechanic and enjoy far cheaper motoring.

hora
    Free Member

inbred456 your email bounces.

tonyg2003

I guess that most people are put off by the theoretical +100k issues.

I sometime get an airport taxi where the guys e-class has done almost 500k now. Still in pretty good shape too. My car drives the 194miles to and from my office 1-2 a week and at 70k (done most of that) feels amazingly good. Still on original brake discs for instance.

Edric64
    Free Member

My last car was a 94 plate 1.4 Astra scrapped due to rust at 167.000 miles .The engine and gearbox were fine

andylaightscat
    Free Member

my 03plate toyota corolla now on 210k miles other than a clutch and a heater matrix just routine servicing.

my last peugot 205diesel 305k miles 1993-2003 3radiators,two driveshaft couplings and then routine servicing which unlike the toyota I could do myself.Currently looking for a v.good one to do a home brew vegetable oil conversion :D.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

2002 Mondeo Estate 2L Diesel on 180,000 miles, engine and suspension are currently still sounding and driving like new, I did spend £500 recently getting odds and sods done to it, 2 new tyres, ball joint, new turbo pipe. It’s only ever given me the usual minor issues in 7 years of ownership. I’m pretty sure it’s even still on the original clutch (certainly since 80K). It’s just done a 2500 mile round trip to Italy without issue. I should really continue until it has a major fault, but I’m wanting a new car now. I’ll probably try and give it away as it would seem crazy scrapping a perfectly good car.

v8ninety

Give it away by all means if you are feeling altruistic, but stick it on t’bay with pretty much that exact description and 12 months MOT, you’ll be surprised how much it sells for… Certainly don’t scrap it!

Edric64
    Free Member

Free Mondeo you say ? where do I sign up ?

hora
    Free Member

Id be interested in buying it. mail in profile 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Give it away by all means if you are feeling altruistic

If the bodywork was perfect, I’d be looking to sell. I’m assuming it’s worthless, due to a combo of the bodywork and high milage. There are 4 dents (bloody shoppers in supermarket car parks) and rust is starting to show on the sills and one or two door bottom edges. So, it’s starting to look a bit shabby, close up. And, it would be a miracle if the clutch went on much longer. I’m thinking the bodywork might be it’s downfall (in terms of selling), no matter how good the engine still is.
    I’ll maybe get it MOT’d and then sell for the price of the MOT. It’s not going to be for a few months yet Hora, the tax/MOT is Dec/Jan and I’ll be ready to buy a new car in Dec.

Northwind

After my Focus broke (repairable, but not very economically) I stuck it on ebay with a fair description, details of the fault, good pics, and a reserve of exactly what the collected scrap value + tax refund + the diesel in the tank was worth. Couldn’t lose that way, and ended up making about twice as much as I expected.

Also it’s more fun!

Woody
    Free Member

charged me nothing for tightening the bolt and was gobsmacked when i told him Isuzu had just taken a grand from me for not fixing the problem!

I hope you got your money back from the main dealer and if not why not?

That Saab turbo ^^ sounds interesting. Always had a soft spot for them.

Re high mileage – my current Ford (2.0 zetec engine) is coming up for 100k without too many problems apart from a bit of expense this year and engine is sweet. Cost me £1300 3 years ago and has cost me less in total than a ‘decent’ new’ish car would have in depreciation!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Email updated and now hopefully working. Don’t know yet which turbo version it is ie LPT 158bhp 185bhp or 200bhp! Doesn’t say on the log book. I will probably need the engine no off the log book, will find out on Thursday probably.Car last serviced at 98K now has 104k on it so I will probably give it an oil and filter change, important with those chain cam engines (no timing belt.) Wife quite looking forward to driving something with a bit of go. The Swift SZ3 DDi was a good little car but the cat was knocked in the crash and at £2.5k+vat for a replacement it was written off. It will take 12 to 13 wks approx for the new car to come so it will probably be after Christmas when I will be looking to pass it on. It is a 2001 dark blue on a Y plate MOT’D till Sep 13.It only cost my wife £230 business use Ins. It was sold as a trade in for a Skoda because the owner panicked when Saab went pop. A mechanic told him he’d have trouble getting parts for it!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Whats classed as high mileage on a car now a days ??’ is closed to new replies.