Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • whats best, running or cycling
  • turneround

doing some cross training this winter and got our for a quick 10mile run yesterday as i couldnt be ar$ed to get the bike out (and its snowy as hell up here in the highlands)

I was wondering what the difference is between biking for the same length of time over the same terrain (woodland trails)on fitness. i felt more spent on the run that i would have on the bike.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Quick 10 mile run?
    We are officially not on speaking terms (I just never get past a first painful run).

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I usually reckon that a 1 hour road run equates to about 2.5 – 3 hours on the road bike. Even after 4 hours on the road bike my body still doesn't feel like it has taken the same pounding.

Off road it's different and harder to compare as it varies so much but I think twice as long on the bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flip
    Free Member

Its reckoned you only have to run a third of your bike ride for the same effect, but this is a very rough estimate depending on terrain etc.

I run too and my average run is approx 40 mins 10km, this is adequate to maintain a good level of fitness over the winter. But a 40 min bike ride is nothing 🙂

timraven

If we were supposed to run, surely we'd have four legs 😀

turneround

thanks, i just feel that i achieve more running than cycling when doing the same time out…. may get one of those ipod nike thingys to track my runs – become a bit more targeted this winter

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I would imagine its how hard you push your self on either. However the minimum base line for pushing yourself is much higher for running as you cant coast.

So generally like others say probably about 3 times as much cycling to running.

However if you could create out a route where you only climb out of the saddle it would probably be similar.

wellhung
    Free Member

Running impact sport

Cycling non impact

Given choice i rather a Century ride, than a Marathon

Having done both on a few occasions, if you are stuck for time then running it is although my favourite is indoor rowing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘whats best, running or cycling’ is closed to new replies.