Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Whats Best Gravity Seat Dropping Post
  • grantway
    Free Member

Been looking at the Gravity dropping seat post
    What one is best?
    I want it to get staright out the way
    and then come straight up when needed.

I have also seen the Pure-Race Cobra i900
    Which one is best.
    This is for a Orange 5 08 frame.

grumm
    Free Member

My Cobra i900 is about to go in the bin.

MicArms

Few of the clent duffers are using gravity droppers, both standard and turbo models. No complants here..

grantway
    Free Member

Sorry to hear Grumm so il forget the Cobra i900
    Mic Arms Standard and Turbo any issues and what is best out of them.

goog
    Free Member

gravity dropper

MicArms

Grantway,
    I have the standard/ classic one. You have to weight the saddle when altering the height (both down and up). I think the turbo does away with the weighting when you want to re-extend it. Also the way the cable unit mounts into the seatpost itself is slightly different.

Yep was right, see here….

With the standard, you can still bastardize a crud guard to fit on the post around the cable mount area, where as on the turbo, due to the shape of the cable feedy thing you would be a bit screwed.
    ( This is my experience on a 5 inch F/S, on a hardtail, you would be able to mount on the post directly underneath the cable feed. If I try to mount underneath the cable feed on my F/S, on full compression , the mudguard buzzes the tyre )

Taz

Have a look at the Rase Black Mamba.

Similar price to the GD but much more drop and much better at the intermediate height selections.

Not had it long enough to comment on reliability but not a lot to go wrong if kept clean.

Only downside is delivery time

martyntr
    Free Member

After getting off to a bad start I can now fully recommend my Crank Bros Joplin which I've been using since April 2008

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Taz – Member

Have a look at the Rase Black Mamba.

Similar price to the GD but much more drop and much better at the intermediate height selections.

Not had it long enough to comment on reliability but not a lot to go wrong if kept clean.

Only downside is delivery time

and it is 700g

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

My Joplin's still working fine after 8 weeks.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Just fitted gravity droppers to our Fives. I went for a 3" drop multi. Hubby wanted to keep thing simple and so just went for the 3" standard, he regrets it though, so we'll be drilling a 1" drop into his as well!

Didn't go for a remote as I don't like stuff on my bars – I can see the advantage though, so perhpas should have gone that way… Probably would have if they weren't more pricey.

Anyway, both seem to work very well and despite the high price – are well worth it!

Taz

and it is 700g

Did not weigh it but thought it was actually lighter than the GD?

Regardless none of them are really going to lighten up a bike.

ajantom

Even though plenty of people seem to be down on them, I have a Maverick Speedball (basically a Joplin), and it's fine. 3" of travel seems like plenty, the travel down and return is smooth.

You do have to undo the lockring and grease it up after any particularly wet and/or gritty ride, but that's pretty easy.

Apparently the new Joplins have improved seals, so hopefully that will have sorted the issues.

deserter
    Free Member

My Cobra i900 is about to go in the bin.

why? mines been great since i realised you have to keep it upright at least a day before rides

Rockape63
    Free Member

The specialized Command seat post looks good….I'm about to get one so hoping it's as good as it seems! Its got the switch on the bars and 50mm and 100mm settings so certainly fit the bill for me!£220 ish

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks for all your input on this and going to check
    out the Gravity seat post.
    Cheers all 😉

igm

I've got the cheap and cheerful KS850 on my Five – a whole £60 imported from XXcycles in France.

Needs moding when you get it. Cut the lever down so it doesn't foul the seat. Unscrew the seal and get loads of grease into it. Then get an old inner tube, chop a 5 inch or so section out so you have a nice rubber tube, pull it up from the bottom of the post and secure with a couple of zip ties just below the seal and another couple at the top just below the lever.

Now buttery smooth and pretty cheap.

grantway
    Free Member

igm you have any pics mate?

FuzzyWuzzy

i900 has been fine for me, although it's on a bike I don't use much (and it has a mudguard on it)

ozzybmx
    Free Member

In Australia … NO MUD !

On my 4th KS i900 , they are a piece of crap !

The place i bought it keeps replacing it on warranty , so i just have to humour them .

Gets the gouges in the back to start with then starts jamming up or down …. then starts creepig down . I would have dumped it 9 months ago if it were not for the replacments .

Can only comment on the Crank Bros joplin i had before this one (only changed as new bike had different sized post) , it had a slight lateral play … but it functioned perfectly for 18 months.

BTW the 4th KSi900 now has gouges …. i'll give it 2-3 weeks then its sent back too. The shop does not sell them anymore so hopefully i'll get a credit note , then ill prob go back to CB or Gravity dropper.

igm

Grantway

From the bottom. Frame, Gold Hope clamp, LOCT seat, Rubber covered seat post, SDG Bel Air. I could have used less rubber and I probably would next time, But I thought too much was probably better than too little.

Apologies for the picture quality; I was useing the compact.

nickc

Whats that thing fastened around the seat-tube sticking out over the top of your top tube

slowrider
    Free Member

ive had a couple of gravity droppers and a ks i900. both are fine if you dont mind maintenance and the extra weight. having had both saddl and remote levers id definitely go for a remote again. i dont like clutter on my bars but its invaluable when riding trails you dont know too well. if you go for a gravity dropper get a multi drop one, it really is nice to have one that drops a bit and one that drops all the way. i didnt get the multi drop but drilled my own extra hole where i wanted it which thinking about it is probably a better idea. also if you go for a GD id reccomend the standard rather than the turbo, if only to avoid the whack in the nuts you can get of a turbo. with the standard you press the lever then bump the seat with your bum, meaning you are already in contact with the seat as it starts to rise so you can control how fast it rises. i had a couple of 'oof' moments with the turbo version and even after id adapted to it i still preferred the normal one.

hope thats of some use to you.

igm

nick c – It's actually attached to the seat post, but it's a LOCT child seat, as used by my son and I in Les Gets (green, blue and bits of red) and more normally round Dalby red /Dixon's Hollow. Simply the best way to keep on mountain biking with a 3.5 year old.
    It's actually the reason I got the seat post, because I can't drop off the front of my saddle when I stop due to my son being in the way.

Shak47

One thing to note about the Specialized Command Post, is that if you cut the cable too short and need another one, (with the special ball end to fit the lever), you need to either pay £40+ to Specialized for a full lever kit or bodge it with a Gear cable. After paying £249 for one of these it is a bit of a shocker that one.

I used mine twice and the full head clamp started turning around the shaft, returned to Specialized who kindly re-glued it and upgraded the seals to the latest version.
    Just put it back on yesterday so we will see how it goes.
    It certainly goes up and down very well with no movement laterally or vertically in any position.

flamejob
    Free Member

I'm on my second Cobra i900 remote (warranty) and it still only goes up/down when it wants to. Like the POHM up there /\ I live in a dusty environment so mud isn't an issue.

The Lever is crap too. Does anyone know if something else works for a lever?

Bomber
    Free Member

Has anyone ever tried out one of these GravitySeat units? I've never seen one before, but it looks like it would work pretty good.

Go to null

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Whats Best Gravity Seat Dropping Post’ is closed to new replies.