Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What's been your most successful non-violent way to…
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

…keep the neighbourhood cats from sh***** all over your garden?

I was originally relaxed about it, but I’ve now learnt that the more no.2s they smell the more they leave.

I’d rather not shoot them because I’d probably kill all the local elves and fairies…. 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Anecdotally, shed-loads of black pepper. Try a cooks suppliers and buy a kg of corns.

jimjam
    Free Member

I bodged up a super powerful pea shooter using a Co2 inflator and a biro. I never hit the bastard but scared him good and he never came back.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Buy a tiger or a dog

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Wife’s grandma used to swear by mixing hot chilli powder with tea leaves from used teabags and then sprinkling around the perimeter. Cat walks across said line in the ground, licks paws as they are tingling, wonders what the hell is exploding in their mouth and then runs off to find relief.

Seemed to work for her.

Super soakers also work 😈 and are much more fun.

<Edit>Tiger pee from the local zoo sprinkled around also works. You won’t get foxes either.</Edit>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coffeee grinds and chilli powder as above.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I can see the headline now… Man found clawed to death in tiger cage with baby bottle in one hand and tiger penis in other… 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Super soakers also work and are much more fun.

+1 for the Super Soaker. Also excellent for marauding Cornish gulls.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Nerf gun I like the big .50cal sniper rifle doesn’t hurt them much and because the darts whistle even if you miss it scares the life out of them fun way to spend the evening 😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bigger cat

wrecker
    Free Member

Landmines.

rocketman
    Free Member

They only go for a dump in places where they’re comfortable which kind of includes most gardens. Cats are especially attracted to peaceful secluded gardens that look like giant litter trays

You can make it less comfortable by not having quiet corners with pleasant little shrubs and finely-tilled soil. Try not to leave any cat-sized areas of earth – to them it’s a toilet cubicle

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Bigger cat

“They won’t stop there. They’ll construct bigger boards with bigger nails, and then they’ll construct a board with a nail in it so large, it will destroy them all… ”

scandal42
    Free Member

A distinct lack of non violent suggestions

Have you tried talking to the cat in question?

peterfile
    Free Member

When I was about 13 I built a den in our back garden, but cats kept using it as a place to shelter and it stank of wee.

I rigged up a very basic security device, which you could try:

1. Get a baking tray from the kitchen (make sure your mum doesn’t see)
    2. Take a long extension cable and cut off the socket end.
    3. Using duct tape, attach the hot wire to one side of the tray and the neutral to the other.
    4. Place the tray at the entrance to the area you want to protect from cats.
    5. Plug the other end of the extension into a socket and turn on with a wooden broom, preferably with your eyes closed.

🙂

Believe it or not, this was one of my more sensible ideas as a kid!

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Have you tried talking to the cat in question?

Problem is there’s too many of them – I’m scared they might gang up on me…in all serious I think there’s about six-eight if them using the garden as a litter tray..

Been some good suggestions so far that I’ll try…is a nerv gun non-violent? Sounds fun…

scandal42
    Free Member

I would still try and use diplomatic negotiation.

Take some time to monitor them, highlight the leader (there is always a leader) and approach them and them only.

Try and stick to facts and not stereotypes that surround cats.

Good luck

v8ninety

I think you should forget ‘non-violent’ and escalate to ‘non-lethal’. Then buy a paintball gun. 8)

squirrelking
    Free Member

grandma used to swear by mixing hot chilli powder with treacle and then rubbing it on the cats bumhole

FTFY

soma_rich
    Free Member

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m very tempted to get a cat trap and relocate the little sod when I can. New neighbours cat is at it all the bloody time according to the wife. Including in the middle of the lawn, dirty bloody animal!

There’s no reasoning with a cat and just about any deterrent needs regular cost, topping up. Catching the feckers in the act, which needs lots of time and dedication which I don’t have. But I don’t want my garden turned into a litter tray. Why should I be clearing it up?

So we can fine dog owners for letting them foul in public, but cats on private property can just crap all over the place grrrrrrr

thetallpaul
    Free Member

squirrelking 😀 Could be a new product opportunity ‘Sweet chilli bum ring oil’

If they lick enough chilli powder off their paws that has the same effect, just delayed. Triple whammy: paws, mouth, bum.

fasthaggis

Buy rent a tiger or a dog

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I bought two cat scarers from Amazon and they work perfectly.

They also keep the cats off my car roof too as one aims over the fence line.

beamers

We have the same problem with our neighbours cats that are pooing in our flower beds and pretty much anywhere else that has nice comfy earth for them to semi dig their logs into. We have a rope swing set up and the cats have targeted the earth under it.

Our kids have ended up with cat sh1t on theit shoes and on the tyres of their bikes.

Coffee grounds in the flower beds seems to be working well.

Warning shots with an air rifle makes them scarper (cats not kids).

May try the chilli powder addition to the coffee grounds.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@nwnlarge – are you able to post a link to the one you bought off Amazon?

sandwicheater

Strongly worded letter left on their favourite sh1tting spot should do it.

ransos
    Free Member

You can make it less comfortable by not having quiet corners with pleasant little shrubs and finely-tilled soil. Try not to leave any cat-sized areas of earth – to them it’s a toilet cubicle

The cats in my neighbourhood dump in the middle of the (closely cut, open to the street) front lawn, rather than the flower beds. I find that the gel repellent works fairly well, but needs topping up regularly, especially after rain.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Erect appropriate signage. That’ll learn ’em.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What's been your most successful non-violent way to…’ is closed to new replies.