Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's a reasonable length of time for a reply from kids school?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So as we now have to “ask permission” to remove our children from school I did the right thing, got in touch, asked the best way to go about it etc and was told an email to the school which would be passed in to the head for authorisation.
    Did that Friday still no reply.

wwaswas

phone the office and ask?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I expect email responses within 24 hours from any organisation. Personal emails are a whole different thing as not everyone checks emails regularly.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I phoned yesterday and was told by the receptionist (who had clearly been to the same training course as the local doctors one) that the email had been received and that the request would be “processed”.
    It’s not for a jolly either , its for a family wedding (shotgun affair I think) that’s recently been organised.

wwaswas

phone again and ask how long they expect it to take as you have travel arrangements to make etc.

flatfish
    Free Member

Ours took about a fortnight.
    They turned us down.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tell them you need a response quickly as you have to make travel arrangements etc.

Tell them if they don’t reply then it seems reasonable that they aren’t bothered about the whole issue and you will take that as a ‘yes’.

bokonon
    Free Member

I would assume the family wedding does not as “exceptional circumstances”, although it would have easily come under the old “special circumstances” regime – it’s been made pretty clear to School’s and LA’s that they pretty much shouldn’t be granting permission for pupils to take time off school under any circumstances – unless it’s international Praise Michael Gove day or something.

The head teacher is probably agonising over the decision to allow this or not, they can come under a lot of flak for allowing it (although the board of governors of which I am a member made it clear to the head that they should accept as many requests as they possibly could.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mrs w went to see laddo’s school (junior aged 9) and they basically said as he never had a single day off last year they saw no problem with it at all. Main problem is if daughter can’t go we can’t go as obviously all my side of the family are invited and her mum and dad are on holiday that week.
    What were you requesting flatfish?

the-muffin-man

I think all children should be allowed one week off per school year. This strict policy is creating real problems, not just the huge extra expense, but the problems of juggling staff holidays within small firms.

Both my wife any myself are in jobs were we are struggling to balance half-term holidays with other parents. (Summer holidays not too bad).

The current situation is a shambles.

pondo

I think all children should be allowed one week off per school year.

Yeah, 13’s not enough, and who cares about education anyway?

Drac

Well I’d not be all smug clever with them making silly threats about taking them out or how you must know soon. call in or ring as politely how long it takes or just wait it’s been less than a week and I’m sure they have a few other things to do then reply to one email.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My thoughts drac. Plus I don’t want to cause any grief for the daughter. Ill give them till Monday then probably ring again in my politest bite your tongue manner!

jon1973
    Free Member

Yeah, 13’s not enough, and who cares about education anyway?

Hold on a second, let me put the kettle on.

Drac

My thoughts drac. Plus I don’t want to cause any grief for the daughter. Ill give them till Monday then probably ring again in my politest bite your tongue manner!

Sounds sensible.

crankboy
    Free Member

I am opposed to taking kids out for holidays , but an occasional day for an event would normally be treated sympathetically . In leeds the local authority appear to have issued a policy of ignore Gove and do what is right in your judgement to the heads .

They also reclassified a lot of housing stock post bedroom tax .

Cougar

The head teacher is probably agonising over the decision to allow this or not

No excuse for sending no response at all. “Dear sir, thanks for your email. Your request is being processed and we will get back to you as soon as we can.” Just ignoring it is plain rude regardless of how long a decision takes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think all children should be allowed one week off per school year. This strict policy is creating real problems, not just the huge extra expense, but the problems of juggling staff holidays within small firms

It sounds reasonable to a parent but there is a class of say 30 for 38 weeks. One person off every week and having to catch up on all the work they missed

Its not that easy to juggle this when last week you did X and every week someone has not done it.

FFS bunk off and ring in sick this is clearly the moral message this govt want us to teach our kids

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I was a good boy and didn’t kick up a fuss and today we got a letter saying the one or two days were granted under the circstances.
    A lesson learnt for me that “bull in china shop” mode doesn’t always have to be the way!

40mpg

Colleague has just had a similar response for a weeks holiday. Don’t believe all you read in the press!

ps my wife’s a school receptionist – I have to ask permission for her to have time off in term time – its clear its very exceptional circumstances only for us!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's a reasonable length of time for a reply from kids school?’ is closed to new replies.