Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what's a hernia and might i have given myself one?
  • robob
    Free Member

Fell off my bike at the weekend, very slow mo’ but I landed full weight on my groin on the upturned end of my bars, the other end was jammed in the ground.

Massive bruising, swelling and pain.

Five days on and the bruising is out, the general swelling is down and the pain is subsiding apart from getting up, coughing, laughing etc. But i have very localized, very obvious swelling exactly where the bars hit and i don’t know whether this is swelling I should expect and don’t need to bother the docs with or something like a hernia that I need to get checked out.

Any ideas?

AdamW
    Free Member

I had an inguinal hernia about ten years ago. I hit my groin with the back of the bike seat. A week later I sneezed and felt something tear.

A while later I sw a lump that would go away when I lay down and would reappear a short while after standing. A few weeks later it would ache but I could stop it by holding a clenched fist over the area. Eventually had an op to patch it and after a few weeks was fine.

Does it hurt, this lump? Mine didn’t, but caused ache when it was noticeable.
    Can you gently push it back?

If worried see the quack, just to be sure.

DrP

Unlikely (but not impossible) to cause a hernia like that… But…. SERIOUS injury can happen from man-bar interfaces.
    I would get it checked out with your gp!

DrP

ianv
    Free Member

Heamatoma almost certainly. Its the blood underneath the skin and it will go away (eventually) . I had pretty much exactly the same thing last year.

funkynick

Rob, we told you at the time, that’s not a lump.. it’s your c***…

😉

robob
    Free Member

Can’t push it back in. And if its my c*** then I’m in more trouble than I thought!

AdamW
    Free Member

Sounds more like a hematoma. Go see a quack.

And if it is your c*** – didn’t happen without pics! 😛

iainc

I had a similar last yr – slow over the bars, stem bolts into groin – was a bit sore at the time and achy afterwards. 3 or 4 days later and ny normal peeing flow was a mere trickle. Now at age 45 you gotta start thinking about these things, so I scooted off to the GP in a rather worried state. He reckoned I’d squashed a nerve which is part of the bladder control and it would sort itself out, which, thankfully it did after another 3 or 4 days…

go to see your GP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what's a hernia and might i have given myself one?’ is closed to new replies.