• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What's a good grease for bearings?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Generally I use Morrisons grease, but I think this is a bit thin to repack things like pedals and pivot bearings, so anyone recommend a good quality thicker grease, something I can get locally say at Halfords or somewhere rather than order online, would that thick stuff for CV joints be ok or is that too thick?

felixdamouse
    Free Member
    robj20
    Free Member

marine grease for me as well, thick so it stays put, nothing on a bike spins fast enough to be a problem with fully packing bearings as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

I generally just use the Comma branded stuff I have in a 0.5KG tub left over from my Landrover days.

However, the best stuff I’ve ever used is JCB branded blue lithium grease.
    It is dead cheap, as digger drivers go through loads of it. its thick/sticky/waterproof and would be great for most bike related things.

There is a lot of crap spoken about grease by the bike industry (driven by marketing) a cheap tub of ‘automotive’ grease from the local motor factors will be just as good as a super-expensive little tube of brightly coloured ‘MTB Specific’ grease for pretty much everything bike related.

Note – I’m no expert on ‘cycle Engineering’ but can tell you that in my industry (Marine/Naval Engineering) we generally use the same grease gun cartridges for almost all basic mechanical applications, and the Royal Navy’s latest class of Destroyers only carry one grade of grease gun cartridge for everything.

fasthaggis
    freeagent
    Free Member

^^ Exactly what I was talking about.

Tub looks quite a lot like the £5 Comma grease currently in my shed.

medoramas
    Free Member

That Dura-Ace grease… I think that’s what I’m missing in my “how to get those KOMs?” strategies… 2 tubes ordered… 😆

I bought 500ml Castrol grease in Halfords about 5 years ago. I think my daughter’s grandchildren will be able to keep using it – I’ve used maybe 1/15th of it on all the repairs/repacks I’ve done so far!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks all, I meant ‘Morris’ grease, dunno why I put Morrisons – maybe I’m hungry!I’m near the sea so there must be a boat yard near to get some thicker stuff.

brakes
    Free Member

I have an old pot of TF2 lithium grease that’s been kicking around for years and use it on everything.
    Nothing has failed catastrophically yet.

Northwind

I use silkolene rg pro, can’t say if it’s the best but it’s good. I don’t think it’s waterproof but it’s water tolerant.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Castrol water-pump grease. Same stuff as marine grease really.
    It’s great stuff, doesn’t wash out and any muck just sits on the top of it.
    I use it for all my headsets, BBs, Pivots, Pedals and Hubs.

rocketman
    Free Member

Synthetic 10W-40

Davesport

Mobilgrease XHP 222 is a good start. Sticks like S**t to everything it touches and not prone to being washed out. A little goes a long way.

D.

enfht
    Free Member

Shimano workshop grease for bearings – because its luminous green.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve been using a tub of juice lubes grease for a few years so the five or six quid wasn’t exactly super expensive. It’s been fine and I have no complaints about it. It’s probably got another year in it yet.

I’m not going to debate stuff like drag from unnecessarily heavy greases as I have no evidence base, but the principle of lighter greases where there is no motor seems to make sense even if it’s actually snake oil (sorry)…

Tbh, my experience of big half litre tubs of grease is that they always seem to end up getting contaminated with something or other long before they’re used so the perceived bargain may not be. Grease gun carts obviously don’t come into this category if they remain mounted.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Mobilgrease XHP 222

What he said^

Much better than the Rock N Roll stuff I used to use. I believe it’s what Hope uses, too.

And it’s blue!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatever is in the tube I got from a bike shop a few years ago, that and whatever came with my Santa Cruz…

Seems to work though I do use whatever is in the LBS when I fettle things these days.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Lucas marine grease treats me right

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve been using SuperLube. No gimmicky color; its nearly clear.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Syncolon-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What's a good grease for bearings?’ is closed to new replies.