Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whatever happened to Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd etc., being shown on TV?…
  • the-muffin-man

Back in the olden days when I was growing up these were on almost constantly. I can’t recall seeing any old black and white comedies of this type for a long time.

Were they all so un-PC they can’t show them any more?

I’d have thought these would be rich pickings for a satellite channel.

wwaswas

Our Laurel and Hardy box set was the one the kids always went to when given the choice.

As you say, there’s so much in those old films.

RustySpanner

They didn’t have a full range of toys attached, a video game and the money to buy up all the ad breaks.

wwaswas – Member

Our Laurel and Hardy box set was the one the kids always went to when given the choice.

Yep.

Still watch them pretty regularly.

🙂

BillMC

I’ve often pondered about kids’ understanding of filmic history and the problem seems to be they’re black and white. Very sad as there are some greats among the classics.

Northwind

I remember watching both as a kit, especially Harold Lloyd, and just being a bit baffled, you could tell it was supposed to be funny… I’d tolerate it til Fireball XL5 came on but it just always seemed kind of broken.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Sign on the line then

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/please-show-laurel-and-hardy-on-tv-again-so-future/

I grew up in Ulverston, Stan Laurels birth place, so we used to go the the museum when we were kids, and watch all the films on loop. Hilarious. Their comic timing was second to none. Stan was an absolute perfectionist, and would spend hours and hours making sure that all the gags would work as intended, Ollie preferred playing golf and drinking with W.C Fields.

wwaswas

What’s not to like 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcTjhUN_7U[/video]

for a bloke with one hand half missing he didn’t half do some good stunts.

digga
    Free Member

I was wondering similar to the OP. Really love some of the old B&W classics and can remember them being firm favourites – as much as contemporary stuff – with me & my friends when I was a kid.

Northwind – Member
    I remember watching both as a kit, especially Harold Lloyd, and just being a bit baffled, you could tell it was supposed to be funny..

I kind of know what you mean by that, but that sense of bewilderment always appealed to something in me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Genius.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNdJZHaMqBk[/video]

BoardinBob

I loved Abbot and Costello when I was a kid and they were always on TV at the weekends. Can’t remember the last time I saw one. Same goes for things like the “Road” movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. Sad that they’ve fallen out of favour but it’s all x-stations and digital watches for kids nowadays!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Will Hay was better along with King of the Rocket Men, old Flash Gordon with the space ships on strings. Excellent post school viewing etc, etc, mutter, fart, where’s me Werthers, oooh I think I’ve peed meself again.

djglover
    Free Member

The Pink Panther is making a comeback in our house, the kids LOVE it, so much better than whatever dross is coming of of CBeebies or NickJr

So glad they have uploaded them all to Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/PinkPanther

tang
    Free Member

6pm on bbc2 in the early eighties was B&W series time, I seem to remember? Things like Zorro and Rocket men on after. Harold Lloyd was brilliant.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I remember them in school hols 8am -11am(ish) Zorro, champion the wonder horse, Lone ranger, whirleybirds, Lassie, Munsters or a classic Johnny Weissmuller film.

jumble
    Free Member

The Flashing Blade 🙂

tang
    Free Member

I loved Tarzan. I wanted that tree house bad.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd etc., being shown on TV?…’ is closed to new replies.