• This topic has 54 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gray.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • What Zwift Trainer?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Having just killed my second Tacx Vortex what’s a good alternative.

Budget up to 500ish.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There isn’t one for under 500 quid.

Best bet is a Elite Direto or a Tacx Flux which can both be had for under 600 quid if you shop around.

tinybits
    Free Member

I suspect the poster above means there’s no direct drive ones for under £500, but that’s not what you’ve asked…
    Kickr Snap seems to work well, £500 retail, can be found for £400. Works well for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No, I just forgot about the Snap 🙂

Quite a few happy Snap users on here, but I’d still recommend saving a bit more and going for a Direto or Flux.

MSP

Whatever you do, don’t get a kurt kinetic smart trainer, no ant+ fe-c is a real pita. It does work with zwift, but limits virtually every other option.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Looks like I can get a Flux for £522 from Acycles.

Any Flux horror stories? Or Acycle ones?

muppet4
    Free Member

Flux horror stories – I’m waiting for my 3rd one to arrive back, 1st lasted 6 months, 2nd lasted 3 rides!! Both had the same ticking from the flywheel catching and also the 2nd dropped all connection. When it works it’s great – nice and quiet but if this one goes again I’ll be swopping or upstaging to the neo.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Flux has been plagued with problems, if you are thinking of spending that sort of money, treat yourself to a Direto… But you may have to wait 6+ weeks due to stock levels and demand.

weeksy

I’m on my 2nd Snap as the first had developed a quirk or two… But i’m more than happy with it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ah, OK, Flux sounds as bad as my Vortex experience.

I’ll have a look at the Direto.

Any Direto horror stories? 😯

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380212845399014/about/

Elite Direto group, not many problems reported to date.

funkrodent

Not used any of these so not really in a position to comment. BUT, have been looking myself. I always rate the reviews on road.cc, they go into depth, don’t pull their punches and seem to be admirably lacking in bias. Anyway, linky is to review of the Direto. They rate it highly and it’s almost certainly the one that I will buy..

http://road.cc/content/review/231669-elite-direto-trainer

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks all. The Direto sounds promising.

tomlevell

I’ve done over 50 hours on a Direto. Probably from the first batch brought in by Madison.
    No issues to report on yet.
    Easily syncs with old computer/laptop/phone on various apps.
    Still waiting for them to bring the larger Elite trainer mats in later this month to fit it on due to the extra width.
    Yes I know other are available that’ll fit but they cost about the same and don’t look right…

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/elite-direto-trainer-in-depth-review.html

Gilesey
    Free Member

Ahem…

Is what I replaced my broken Vortex with. Would recommend Elite over Tacx, and wavered between Direto and Neo, but Neo was in stock and I’m impatient.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a BKool Smart Go. Only disadvantage is not being able to get out of the saddle (although I reckon I can sort that with a bungie cord).

JAG

Halfords have this direct drive Smart turbo…Elite Turbo Muin £290

velocipede
    Free Member

I got hold of an Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+ from Halfords….almost 50% off….its fantastic

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer

Only £290!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Worried now that you’re all killing Vortexes….what’s the issue with them?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been having a look at turbo trainers over the last week and unless I’m mistaken the Elite Turbo Muin doesn’t allow training apps to change the resistance. Is that right?

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

that’s correct Gary.
    i decided it wasn’t important to me.
    obviously it retracts from zwifts immersive quality but IRL you hit a hill and change gears down to a comfortable power output anyway.
    never tried a true smart device so it may be a bigger deal than i think. my other experience is of watt bikes.
    recommend the trainer though.

simondbarnes

Elite Rampa works very well if a Direto is over budget.

fooman

At the cheaper end I’m looking at the Elite Novo Smart £180 @ Halfords. I’m a bit put off Tacx, had problems with their rollers (not staying locked out, changed to Elite) and the Tacx Flow I borrowed (keeps dropping both Bluetooth and Ant+)

zilog6128

never tried a true smart device so it may be a bigger deal than i think.

Having used both, I’d always recommend going with a smart trainer if possible, just because it’s way more fun. It also makes the workout function a lot better IMO although obviously not everyone is bothered about workouts.

Having said that I’ve not used a budget smart trainer so couldn’t say whether a decent/solid non-smart trainer was better or worse than one of those!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just went from a dead vortex to a direto, only done 3 sessions so far but like it.
    Got it from bike discount in Germany as it was decent price and they actually had stock. They may still have some.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Having a trainer that is controlled by Zwift/app (ant+ fe c) makes a huge difference and worth it.

Used to half enjoy turbo training with a cheapo trainer and sensors, got the Direto and it’s way more fun and realistic now.

Depends on what you want but I can see me using the trainer with workouts throughout the whole year as a supplement rather than as an excuse to push out some miles during the icy days.

hatter

Sigma sport have Diretos in stock.

welshfarmer

I would second this. My missus has an exercise addiction and uses the Rampa for at least an hour a day, EVERY day. Had it for over a year now and it still works great, is very quiet, and the rubber friction wheel still appears to be unmarked. Previous to that we had a cheap Elite magnetic trainer from Halfords which lasted about 4 years but, being a pressure mount, we eventually wore the roller away to virtually nothing! Saying that it still works 🙂

So a big vote from me on Elite quality…

piemonster

73hrs on an Elite Direto here, so not that long in the grand scheme of things but very very happy so far.

Thoroughly recommend it!

Having gone from a dumb trainer to smart has been a huge improvement.

threerock44
    Free Member

Bkool Smart Pro2 is available under £400. Got mine from Santa Claus. BUT they have cocked up the latest simulator software release, and the ANT+ FC-E capability has been temporarily lost. Apparently a fix coming within days. So it currently works as a controllable trainer (ie when the simulator screen goes uphill so does the resistance)with the Bkool Sim software but not currently with Zwift. Otherwise seems a good product.

bigwill
    Free Member

Can’t fault my snap, erm well it’s been almost faultless, other than a couple of I’m going to kill you by turning up resistance until you break moments , it’s great.

I think the resistance thing has something to do with my wife’s car Bluetooth as it has only happened when she turn her car on. She can now only leave or arrive before or after a training session.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I replaced my 3rd broken vortex with a refurbished Kickr at a very reasonable price. Both them and the Snap regularly appear refurbished on the Wahoo store.

Tiger6791

How dead is the Vortex? would you sell some bits off it?

mooman
    Free Member

Elite Direto here too. No problems to report.

As for trainer mats – I bought an industrial type rubber mat for £25 off eBay. Proper rubber, so no probs with sweat absorbing into it.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Which bits are you after?

Tiger6791

mrjmt – Member
    Which bits are you after?

Just the electronics, I have an old Vortex that is ANT+ (T1961) but won’t work with Zwift as it not the FE-c bit so it only work with the proprietary Garmin software or the specific headset 🙁

Looking at the parts sheet Mechanically it’s the same just the electro wizardry gubbins that differ..

I have this one

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m using a Vortex Smart at the mo. After 18 months it fizzed when I turned it on and stopped working. I took the electronic gubbins off and it had burnt out two components. Replaced the whole electronic unit (£80) and its been good. Will be looking to move it on when CRC get Direto into stock. BC 10%/topcashback and all that.

gray

My Vortex is going to surplus to requirements in a few days. It basically works but is a little bit ropey. It went through a phase of only coming to life properly about one time in five (otherwise just blinking red light), so I just left it permanently plugged in for months. Recently the few times that I’ve unplugged and plugged it in it’s been OK though. I think the bearings are not in a perfect state either – I’m sure it’s noisier than it used to be.

I wouldn’t want to post it, but if anyone wants it in exchange for a modest donation to charity then they’d be welcome to pick it up (either from Oxford or London W12) sometime once I’ve checked that my new turbo works.

piemonster

+1 for big rubber mats. Mine are 6 foot by 4 foot, gym and apparently equestrian intended use.

I got 3, just in case of a big spill

https://www.arkmat.co.uk/gym-mats.html

Tiger6791

Gray – not far from either of those locations and would be interested 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What Zwift Trainer?’ is closed to new replies.