Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What you doing with your sprouts at Xmas?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cooking wise? Chopped up & fried with a bit of onion & bacon sound any good?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ooh yes please.. Yum yum.

I’m cooking again, MrsBouys banished from the kitchen as she boils the things into a pulp..

julianwilson
    Free Member

Fried and a tiny bit of soy sauce here. One of the only truly reliable ways to get green stuff into my kids all year round.

nemesis
    Free Member

Simple. Boiled just enough to cook through and nothing else. Perfect.

Oh and of course, cross the base so they cook without being overcooked.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Chucking them on the floor for the dog, same as always.

garage-dweller

Op left whole once steamed then in the frying pan with black pudding and bacon for a couple of minutes 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Leaving them in the **** shop!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Leaving them in the **** shop!

Oh come on Wrighty, Xmas night wouldn’t be the same without Jimmyfartpants!

Keeping the stinking vile food of the devil as far away from me as possible.

Pure evil food (if you can call them food). They rank somewhere alongside liver for me – unfortunately the devil wife loves them 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

We’ve got some sort of a sprout tree in our back porch this year, presumably to ruin Christmas Dinner. I tried to get rid of it by putting it with the stuff for the compost bin, but got rumbled.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It all stems back to my dad hiding them in my mash potato as a kid (that isn’t code either), every bastid year they’d be one there. And no doubt at the age of 39 there’ll be one hidden in there this year as we’re all up at my sisters for dinner!!!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Blanched then gently fried with panchetta then add cream. Lovely hazlenutty flavour. Yum.

scotroutes

Roasted after being coated in chili olive oil and pepper. Wait until they are almost black on the outside.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Score an x in the stalky end and simmer in a little vegetable stock till cooked. Fantastic. Also only eat them after the first frosts of the year or they taste much more bitter.

iamtheresurrection

Same every year, a bit of a classic: part boiled, then in a frying pan with chorizo and chestnuts, big squeeze of lemon.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Keeping the stinking vile food of the devil as far away from me as possible.

Pure evil food (if you can call them food). They rank somewhere alongside liver for me – unfortunately the devil wife loves them

No, your’e thinking of cucumber.

cakefacesmallblock

i use them all winter if I’m roasting meat. Just lightly salted water, get it properly boiling, chuck em in and turn down to a gentle boil for no more than about 8 mins. Anything more and they taste bloody orrid.

Indeed, cucumber is satan’s greens.

carlos
    Free Member

Nice and Al dente, then rattled round with some chestnuts and panchetta finished with a little fresh ground black pepper

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

munkyboy – Member
    Score an x in the stalky end and simmer in a little vegetable stock till cooked. Fantastic. Also only eat them after the first frosts of the year or they taste much more bitter.

POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Is that really true ? I’ve heard it said many times but always assumed it was one of those urban myths

midlifecrashes

Theyve been on since last Tuesday. Should be just right by Christmas.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Liking the idea of chucking some chorizo in with the bacon..

theotherjonv

Cut down fine then pan fried with bacon and chorizo. Or boiled and then rattled hard in the pan with lid on to loosen them, with an indecently sized knob of butter and black pepper.

Parp!!

Sandwich

If you’re going for the weaponised sprout dish, it’s too late. They should have gone on yesterday. 😀

Shredded and stir fried with bacon is the sensible answer.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I like me sprouts naked and steamed but with a bit of fight left in em 🙂
    Nice halved and stir fried with tamari too

khani
    Free Member

Boiled til you can suck em up with a straw…

neilnevill
    Free Member

munkyboy speaks the truth.

bruk

Boil them until pretty soft ( ie no nutritional value left) then use soup spoon to launch em. Make perfect food fight weapon, solid enough to hold together through flight but then splat mightily if nicely overdone.

Or maybe that was just my school’s dinner time at Xmas.

BillMC

Al dente with grated nutmeg. Bacon and black puddings sounds good but must mean extended play on the trouser trumpet.

leffeboy

I normally just go for variations on orange marmalade as I’ve got veggies to keep happy but pancetta and chestnuts sounds so good that it may win this year. Sprouts rock – as well as splutter a little

ninfan
    Free Member

Rather than an X in the bottom I usually cut them in half, then boil lightly, drain, coat in butter and black pepper, with a few sea salt crystals, perfect

irelanst
    Free Member

Always used to be boiled then quickly fried with bacon and some roast chestnuts but roasted with sherry and thyme is our new way. We had them like that last Saturday and they were really nice with the added bonus that I think they gained me a few extra places at cross country the next day!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I love sprouts. Steamed and simply served.

However, as a bet, I pickled some a few years ago with quite a bit of chilli – and they are wonderful. Really nice with cold turkey.

warton
    Free Member

Boiled

christmas dinner is rich enough / complicated enough without **** on with the veg.

The only fancy veg i do is leeks in cheese sauce…

daftvader
    Free Member

Steamed then lightly fried with Bacon and sweet chestnut….. Mmmmmmmm

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Par boiled , dipped in batter deep fried in goose fat and served with truffle shavings .

M6TTF
    Free Member

roast them with chestnuts, pancetta and butternut squash – delicious!

BigJohn

I don’t eat them but I cook them for those people who think they’re an essential part of Christmas.

Our local greengrocer gets them from a market gardener and they’re still on the stick. I choose the stick with the smallest sprouts and I leave them on there until about 30 mins before serving dinner. Cut them off, cross cut the bottoms and put into a large pan of boiling water (with salt & a pinch of bicarbonate of soda) and cook till tender enough for those who like that sort of thing.

Drain and put into a warm bowl. Everybody seems to be happy with them. I don’t like any flavouring on them that’s going to mess with the traditional flavours of the rest of the meal.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What you doing with your sprouts at Xmas?’ is closed to new replies.