Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what xc helmet to get (apologies in advance!!!)
  • racefaceec90

i have no idea,what helmet to buy.i have around £70 to spend on one.also how do you size right?thanks you!!! 🙂

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The best way is to go to a lbs and try them on for size and fit.
    If it fits you i can recommend the specalized one thats around that price (can't remmember its name.)

grumm
    Free Member

Giro Hex if it fits – def need to try them on though.

robarnold
    Free Member

You've got to try them on before you buy, I can't wear a lot of lids because I have a wierd shaped head and quite a few of the spesh/giro ones put pressure on a sticky out bit i've got at the back.

As a general rule, the lid should fit comfortably on your head without the chin strap done up. Put it on, tighten the retention system at the back and wobble your head around a bit to ensure it sits well. Even put your head down towards your knees as a final test. The lid should sit above your eyebrows at the very lowest and ideally a bit higher. The chin strap is very much a lats resort to keep the helmet on in the event of a crash and they can be almost infinitely adjusted, so don't worry too much about getting the strap uber comfy first time.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Why are you apologising for asking a question relevant to the forum?

Agree with the above, you have to try them on. I find the fit changes against different models even for the same size/manufacturer.

racefaceec90

thanks everyone.i will be cycling to bath this morning to check a few of the shops out.will see what they have.at most i reckon that i can stretch to £80.

higgo
    Free Member

Met Veleno for me.
    But that's 'cos I've got a Met Veleno shaped head. I wanted one of the Giros (can't remember which now) but it just didn't fit my lumpy head.

As above, try one on.
    And remember that using the services of a shop to try something on and then buying cheaper on-line is the work of a toad.

johni
    Free Member

You need to try them on. After years of Specialized helmets, I swapped to a Giro Hex and it's been a great fit. That said, I never had any trouble with the Spesh helmets either!

woffle
    Free Member

Giro's for me – the Havoc is pretty good for the money though I found it a little hot…

mieszko
    Free Member

Giro E2 is always a good choice and ventilation is very, very good. Fitted my head well and I was really impressed with the ventilation after trying other helmets before. Changed my E2 for a Animas as couldn't afford an E2 at the time but Animas isn`t as well vented but still very good and comfortable.

I wanted to try out Met Veleno as well because of some good reviews but found the Animas with a better price. When You'll be trying them out check how much space is left on the sides as well as when I had a Lazer helmet it was a bit tight on the sides, felt ok on the head but couldn't put a hat or a bandana on my head as it felt too tight. So if You intend to do some winter/colder days riding it's worth considering whether a bandana/hat will fit as well.

racefaceec90

thanks everyone.am just about to cycle to bath.i will let anyone whose interested know what i bought when i return.(now if i can only have a clear run on the towpath!!!) 😀

racefaceec90

have just got back from bath.man things have moved on a bit since i last had a bike helmet (a giro hammerhead).i ended up buying a bell variant black/gold.i got it from john's bikes for £59.99,which is very reasonable in my opinion.it fits great and seems quite comfortable.now if it can add 10mph due to aerodynamic co efficience :wink:thanks again for all the advice. 😀

ackie
    Free Member

Bell Sweep XC.
    Ace!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what xc helmet to get (apologies in advance!!!)’ is closed to new replies.