Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What would you have? FSR or REMEDY
  • trailster
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new bike for spring, a mid travel trail bike, lots of bikes to choose from around 2k two bike have got my attention a 2012 FSR comp £2300 or a 2012 REMEDY 7 £2100 has anybody got one of these bikes and what are your opinions on them, or any other you could recommend.

Rosss
    Free Member

Just picked up a 2011 Stumpjumper elite. I was in a similar situation, the remedy was a lot of money for the spec and the ’11 stumpy was on sale at £1800 – There was no contest VFM wise. If you’re interested, I had mine from bikescene and they were great.

I have yet to ride it, I’ll post again when I have but so far I am chuffed to bits with it, Looks great, brilliant spec and a real quality bike overall. It feels solid. On the other hand my mate rides a 2010 remedy 7 and I must admit thats a lovely bike too. The ride is smooth and as with the stumpy it’s a quality bike just slightly heavier and burlier.

Hope that helped

Bucko

150mm? Mid travel trail bike?

Anyway, i’ve no experience of the 2 bikes you’ve mentioned but i’d recommend a Lapierre Zesty 314 for about £2.3k, although it’s only 140mm of travel.

You might even be able to get a 2011 model for about £1.8k if there’s any left

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nonsense
    Free Member

I have a 2010 Trek Remedy frame built up with XT, Hope Hoops and Revelations. It’s easily the best and most versatile bike I’ve owned. I run it with an Angleset so the geometry is almost identical to the 2012 bike. Highly recommended.

robarnold
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 FSRs and a Remedy in the past few years, I’ve also done a stint working at a Trek and Spesh dealer. VFM then yes, I accept, the FSRs do seem a better buy. However, in terms of quality of ride, finish and the components you get with the bike, the Remedy wins hands down.

Unfortunately I’ve seen first hand how cheap and tinny FSRs are and their longevity is poor. Compare this to many Trek full sussers and there’s no contest. Get the remedy and you won’t regret it. Well worth shelling out a bit more on, absolutely ace bikes. However, saying that…I’ve currently got a Trek Rumblefish on order…come join the revolution!

Rob

br
    Free Member

Don’t often see Remedy and mid-travel in the same sentence, what about the Fuel EX’s?

stumpy01

I’d have said that they are two bikes for two different purposes.

What sort of riding do you do? I’d say the FSR for anything that was UK trail related, or the Remedy if you are more of a all mountain/downhill/drop-offs type rider.

I’ve got a 2010 Stumpy FSR & reckon it’s brilliant (of course, I would say that). It’s improved my confidence on technical descents loads & climbs really well – definitely seem to get good traction, although I’ll occasionally drop the fork down for really steep or long climbs just to keep the front end down a bit more.

With regards to longevity; my previous Stumpy FSR survived 9 years of riding. Admittedly, the first 2010 bike I got had to go back due to some paint lacquer issues, but this was a known problem that was rectified without quibble and I got a carbon Pro frame (with Brain) for a £50 ‘upgrade fee’.

Best thing to do would be to ride them both on trails that you would normally be riding and see how they compare.

passtherizla
    Free Member

remedy. just looks nicer and the shock is pretty trick looking 😉

RustyMac

My choice would be the Remedy, i borrowed one from a mate for an afternoon and loved it. haven’t ridden a FSR but the remedy is defnately on my list if my Iron Horse Mk3 dies.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i loves my remedy 8

makes me grin from ear to ear every ride.

BOING!

(cant comment on the fsr)

deanfbm
    Free Member

What do you want out of the suspension action and geometry?

Surely that’s a bigger deciding factor than peoples opinions of what’s “better”?

trailster
    Free Member

Thanks for your opinions and advise, I ride mostly lake district Kentmere Stevely Howgill lune valley 3 dubs, so I need a trail bike that can handle loose rocky boggy technical steep single track with ease and put smile back on my face, riding a light weight HT is not fun anymore. A trip to the bike shop is needed.

Becca
    Free Member

I made exactly this decision almost a year ago and bought the stumpy in the end. I think it very much depends on what you want it for. I wanted a do it all bike and I decided (from trying both bikes, speaking to people with either bike or that had ridden both bikes and from the girly opinion that colour matters) that whilst the remedy would be more fun on jumps/drops/dh riding it would be a lot less fun on the xc endurance racing I do so I went for the stumpy and have not regretted it.

I have done endurance races, xc races and downhill races on my Stumpy and whilst I except that it may not be the perfect machine for each of those things independently it is a very good all round bike. I take it out dirt jumping, xc riding, uplift dh riding and even took it to the Alps and across Italy riding DH tracks.

A few people I have met along the way have queried my choice of steed especially when stood in an uplift queue, “don’t you know that bike is only 140mm and designed for trail riding” type comments are heard fairly frequently! All I have to say is that it is more capable than me and if I am willing to ride off that drop then I am sure it can cope with it!

The only criticism I have is that more sturdy wheels would be nice (I have put small buckles in them off big drops), although I like the light ones for xc racing, so I think the bike is the perfect 1 bike does it all for me. I know people with the rememdy who do less xc and they have the same 1 bike opinion as I do.

Ride them both and then decide!

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

+1 rosss i picked up a 2011 stumpy elite in November to replace my blur lt
    And I couldn’t be happier got mine from bikescene as well great service as always from them.test rode a fuel ex as well which was ok but I prefer the stumpy.

philconsequence
    Free Member

All I have to say is that it is more capable than me and if I am willing to ride off that drop then I am sure it can cope with it!

😀

that’s exactly what i say when justifying my bouncy bike both in my head and to others!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What would you have? FSR or REMEDY’ is closed to new replies.