Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What would you do? (working away content)
  • donald
    Free Member

To be honest I'm a little surprised that an IT contractor of 5 years standing doesn't have enough savings to buy a new car. I suppose you've been taking quite a bit of time off?

So as you are a contractor can you lease a car through your own company or something of the sort?

hora
    Free Member

per person yes. How many folk in the UK compared to other countries- skewered stats…ANYWAY back on subject.

Ford Focus or Octavia- I'd look at one of those. Why? Readily available parts and many many indies who are familiar with them I bet.

Also – I dont beleive in the Jap-car reliability. How many old Jap cars do you see driving round compared to others? About the same I reckon. Its regular maintenance that counts.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest I'm a little surprised that an IT contractor of 5 years standing doesn't have enough savings to buy a new car

Yeah, me too. I came from a standing start – we bought a house and complete set of furniture, equippment, car (other car), paid off loans, had a baby, have travelled, all sorts. I kind of thought that I'd never be able to spend my income without being ridiculously extravagant.. however that's not the case!

per person yes. How many folk in the UK compared to other countries- skewered stats…

No, not skewed at all… As individuals we emit what we emit. Just becase we sit in some arbitrary grouping of people from a particular country, doesn't give us license to emit more, does it? Does the atmosphere care that I am British or Chinese? No, it just cares what I emit. Your nationality is not a factor in global warming, is it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you don't like the commute/staying away, but there's nothign closer to home there's very little you can do about it.

I'm kinda similar, I have a lovely house in Cheshire with the wife and I used to have a 56mile round trip commute to work, cracking short journey ok job but with total lack of prospects within the company, jumped ship to a much bigger international company then was faced with a 148mile round trip commute, great job, potential to move up the ladder etc etc.

Cue one global rescession, work banks don't get released, finish one big project, whispers of a job in London arise on a major 8 year project – excellent news me thinks.

Cue move to London, get home once every 2 weeks for 3 days, but all housing/living costs are on expenses.

Commute is pants – 210miles to where I live = 4 hours on a Friday, being away from home ain't great, job is. Also I went back to the office I moved from and they've basically had nothing since I left and there's not much on the horizon either 😕

At the moment, until the world fixes itself, if you've only got the option of working away and a big commute, live with it. It pretty much can't get any worse ❓

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I don't mind staying away, as long as my Wife and daughter can come see me. My main problem currently is the actual driving 🙂

I do get home every weekend tho, so that's 5 nights out of 7 with my lovely lady beside me 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mushn't grumble @ that then

Onzadog
    Free Member

I once had a similar think. Nottingham to Portsmouth for the working week. I decided it was too much and I didn't want to move down there so I binned the job. (there were obviously other reasons why as well)

alwyn
    Free Member

Spend £1-2k on an older estate car. Chuck the bike in the back, drive it untill it dies or you get bored then do the same again.

Get a volvo, Audi etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why would you stay over for such a short commute? I'd commute every day personally, unless you like it there of course. Get a half-decent car now (and a motorbike in the spring).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to live in Maidstone, Kent – and worked in Andover, Hampshire – 104 miles each way taking in the M20, M26, M25, M3 and A303.
    To be honest I found it a very de stressing journey but I did have the luxury that my boss used to do the same journey but the other way round until the office moved. As a result, he was very understanding and didn't expect to see me before 9am or after 4pm.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would you stay over for such a short commute? I'd commute every day personally, unless you like it there of course

You'd spend 5-6 hours every day in a car? Since when is that a short commute?

Spend £1-2k on an older estate car. Chuck the bike in the back

Did you read the thread? That's what I'm currently doing and I am not enjoying it for the abovementioned reasons ie hard work driving etc etc.

Maybe I've just got soft because my other car is so easy and relaxing to drive…

Richie_B

I'm in what sounds exactly the same situation. I'm renting a room on a Monday to Friday basis which if you shop around tends to get you slightly more for your money. I couldn't even contemplate a flat or hotels because of the cost. I keep a road bike down here but thats because there doesn't seem to be much in the way of inspiring off road stuff in the area. With the car the choice was as good second hand as I could afford without borrowng too much.

I loved the earlier comments about getting jobs closer to home some people on here seem to live on a different planet.

I contemplated doing the commute (almost exactly the same as yours) but it works out seriously expensive and it would leave me less than eight hours a day at home.

Its less than ideal, it leaves my wife dealing with two vey young kids four nights a week, but it is a job which is more than I could have hoped for six months ago.

Mackem

Instead of a serviced apt, do a house/flat share. Far cheaper and you can still keep your bike there (or even better afford a brand new bike to keep there).

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm renting a room on a Monday to Friday basis which if you shop around tends to get you slightly more for your money

I'm extremely lucky being on expenses, and the company has a policy which includes nice hotels – so I'm not shopping around. I'm trying for an appartment tho, waiting for approval. If I get the apartment I'll be able to leave my bike there which will enable me to get the train.

Gribs

molgrips – Maybe I've just got soft because my other car is so easy and relaxing to drive…

I'm guessing there isn't an option to use that car? If not you may find a high spec late 90's Mondeo comfy and quiet enough for a couple hours drive and you can easy pick one up for a grand. Scorpio's are also big and comfy though use plenty of petrol. That's not much of an issue for only 300 miles a week though. If you do go for an oldish car make sure it's a petrol as old diesels are all crap for everything other than relability and fuel useage.

If you stay in the same hotel each week have you asked them about leaving your bike and stuff there? Have you tried the train for the journey you do? Unless it's direct between to major cities you may find that the car is much easier.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you tried the train for the journey you do?

Makes bring the bike very hard.

Algore
    Free Member

If you are concerned about the environment don't buy new. Buy secondhand.

My recomendation would be a simple and subtle Mazda 6. Good extras and comfort for around 3000. Based around a Mondeo but classless and slightly more comfortable from my experience. Think secondhand Skodas are holding thier value to well.
    I am fortunate enough to have a nice company car. But we have just got my wife (70miles a day commute) a nice car radio for her Seat Ibiza Tdi. Now she can call handsfree, listen to IPod etc for a small outlay of £200. This was much cheaper than dropping 3000 upgrading her car.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

i looked at buying a mazda 6 earlier in the year, from the environmental point of view the emmissions are shocking so didn't bother, found a 3yr old Fabia estate (petrol) with 12k miles on it and bought that, great little motor.

as regards the original question, I'd go option 4. I've lived away in expensed hotels and also done the flat thing (we bought ours) and I found the flat much more relaxing / homely and obviousy it was possible to leave biking stuff there which made packing each week easier. Trains aren't all they are cracked up to be on monday mornings / friday evenings but if you book a seat in advance it should be ok.

I did a huge amount of riding when I was away from home and worked all hours to keep the weekends clear. Have to say being back home permenantly is a much better situation although the riding has dropped off a bit

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What would you do? (working away content)’ is closed to new replies.