Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What would you do?
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

So, I started to fit mudguards to my new custom Lynskey tourer and I’ve hit a bit of a problem.

As you can see the hole in the bridge is 90 degrees from where it should be. I’ve tried bending the support on the mudguard fitting but it doesn’t give enough clearance and is impossible to adjust . Getting it fixed properly means shipping the frame back to the states with all the inherent delays.

Should I reluctantly accept this and make a bodge work or should I insist the frame is fixed?

I’m NOT drilling a new hole in the frame.

martymac

black and decker.
    seriously, youve presumably already waited a good while for this frame,
    best to wait a bit more and have it done right imho.

leffeboy

Don’t you just put a hole in the mudguard and bolt straight through rather than using the Bracket?

RealMan
    Free Member

Get it fixed.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Adapt the bracket

nuke

Jubilee clip around the bridge and through the mudguard support or an L-shaped metal bracket with a hole for a nut in each side (Think my old Meccano set had those)…not like its some critical loading bearing component.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Leffeboy has it.

Anyone with this inability to sort basic build issues should not be allowed on tour!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Getting a hole in the mudguard in exactly the right place is quite tricky and frankly, I don’t feel I should have to bother; having waited 9 months I can hardly bear to send it back.

bassspine
    Free Member

just put a hole in the mudguard and bolt straight through. it’s a piece of piss to get it right.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Could you not get a right angled bracket with a slot in each bit?

So one side bolts to that frame hole and the other goes onto that mudguard bracket?

Bit of a bodge, and no idea if it’d work.

leffeboy

No it’s not tricky. Fix the end down at the cranks, push the mudguard up to it touches the screw on the bridge, mark with a pen, drill down from above, replace inner tube having forgotten to remove wheel. Peasy

…and it will look nicer than with the bracket

Militant_biker

What leffeboy said.

We used to fit loads of mudguards that way – ends up being neater in the long run.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i used a zip tie on my pompino (same problem) drilling the guard resulted in the bolt stopping the tyre turning.

druidh
    Free Member

On the bright side, the level of mechanical incompetence shown on this thread promises a bright future for bike shops.

csb

Is the frame definitely faulty or do they just have a different idea of how a mudguard should be fitted? Have you asked them?

If it’s wrong send it back. I’d never be happy if my dream bike was faulty from the start, bit like a tainted love.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I would zip tie it but i only use mud guards for my commute.
    Like above, ask lynskey which mudguards they intend to fit to that bike. Then get them or take your pick of the advice above. I personally wouldnt be arsed sending it back for an alteration.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t you just put a hole in the mudguard and bolt straight through rather than using the Bracket?

+1000!

Obvious fix! Neater becasue there’s no fussy bracket showing, and less ‘joints’= less to come loose and rattle! I wish my frame was like that!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

csb has hit the nail on the head. Yes I’ve asked them but replies are never immediate. The thing is I specified it the other way round. If they’ve done it on purpose to make a neater, albeit more tricky, fitting that’s fine, but I’d have preferred to be informed first.

Waiting 10 weeks for the build after the frame arrived in the UK tainted it somewhat and I don’t want to spoil it further.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Something similar to this. You might be able to find something from a good DIY store, if not then an engineering company should be able to make one for you out of aluminium at very little cost.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it’s wrong send it back. I’d never be happy if my dream bike was faulty from the start, bit like a tainted love.

Faulty? You’re having a laff, right? It’s an IMPROVEMENT if anything! 🙂

simon_g

Leffeboy has it – it’s a much neater, cleaner design with less to rattle or rust or go wrong.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Something similar to this. You might be able to find something from a good DIY store, if not then an engineering company should be able to make one for you out of aluminium at very little cost.

NO NEEEEEEED! Drilled mudguard = No bracket = EXTREMELY NEAT!!!!! 😀

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

You can bend the mudguard support to accomodate this – I’ve done it myself – if you bend the support and use a spacer between support and frame it puts the mudguard in the right position.
    Failing that, drilling the mudguard and fitting a bolt through is the best option , and it looks pretty neat. you can overcome the issue of the bolt head catching the tyre by using a dome headed bolt as in the picture above.

Simples

richmars

Those brackets on the mudguard always rusted when I used them, End up in two bits at the bend. Use cable tie or drill the mudguard.

epicyclo

It’s a non issue.

I prefer the hole to be like that.

In any case like others have mentioned here, use zip ties. They are cheap and disposable, and your mudguard is less likely to rattle. If you’re a weight weenie, then also they’re lighter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough to the OP if he specc’d it the other way. But it’s a simple fix as many have said.

You can position a hole correctly by setting the mudguard up and marking it where the hole is. Use washers around the mudguard and a greased hex bolt as it may seize.

Zip ties are untidy and may mark the frame.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted my rear guard to my Genesis Vapour which has the bolt hole in the seatstay bridge the same way round as your frame. Fitted the guard to the rear of the BB and offered it up to the seatstay bridge, marked the position with a pick, checked the mark was centred across the guard and drilled through with a 5mm bit. Piece of piss and has left a far far neater mounting than the rattly, rust-prone bracket.

I would definitely keep it as it is. Much much neater and definitely not worth sending a frame back for.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Dont think a zip tie will mark a ti frame.
    If you specced it the other way then I would be a bit miffed. Regardless of whether they think its better or not.

StirlingCrispin

Stop being so effin’ precious.

Drill the mudguard and fit with zipties – then go ride 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Apparently lots of bike are like that. My Day One is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dont think a zip tie will mark a ti frame.

After a few years’ grime etc, they will mark anything!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why on Earth are we talking about zip ties FFS?? NO NEEEEEEED! 🙂

Those wrap round brackets always seem to rattle.
    Bolting straight through the ‘guard is a much better system.
    Why did you want it the other way in the first place ?

crazy-legs

Bolt through the mudguard is the neatest and easiest solution although, when I worked as a shop mechanic we became pretty expert at fitting mudguards, racks, light/computer brackets etc to all sorts of weird and wonderful frame designs.

What you’ve got there is a total non-issue though, I can’t believe you’re considering sending a frame back to the US when it’s a 5 min job to bolt it through the mudguard as the manufacturer intended.

clubber
    Free Member

Choice of crap bracket and sending the frame back for a ‘fix’ that is less neat and secure or a simple task of drilling a hole in the guard and then using a bolt which is out of the way, neat, secure and reliable.

Tough choice… 🙄

csb

StirlingCrispin – Member
    Stop being so effin’ precious.

Err, isn’t the whole point of having a frame custom made from exotic material at great expense that it does pander to the customers whim and is the height of preciousness?

Agree with bodges, I love them, but that’s on a pretty bog standard bike, not a bespoke luxury commission.

warpcow
    Free Member

Bolt through the guard is probably easiest. The one downside I’ve experienced with a similar setup is riding in snow and freezing temperatures. Snow adheres to the head of the bolt, slowly building up into an extremely dense block of ice that presses against the tyre. Hopefully that’s not so much of an issue for you.

I’d still be kinda p’ed off though, after paying for a custom frame. Unless they could guarantee a fast turnaround on fixing it (with express shipping), I’d be looking for a small discount.

tails
    Free Member

I’ve drilled mudguards before it works well enough, but if you would rather not then perhaps buy these http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=product&r=mudguards&i=5289300000&RACEBLADE%20XL%20SET

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It seems this is a better way of fixing the mudguard so I’ve drilled a through it. It looks better than the bracket method anyway.
    Thanks

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.