• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What would you do?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Morning

Just bought some Revelations with 15mm Maxle Lite.
    I am currently running XT centrelock discs with QR hub, so just bought a nice DT Swiss 15mm wheel to fit the forks, but it’s a 6 bolt hub.
    Dilemma I have is this: Do I…

A. Buy one of those centre lock to 6 bolt hub adaptors? Are they any good? I like my current XT rotor (inner is different material to the outer, plus it matches the XTR on the back) so keen on keeping it.

B. Bin the whole centre lock thing and just get a 6 bolt 180mm rotor

C. Go the whole hog and size up to a 203mm rotor (and relevant post adaptor). If I do, what rotor?

What would you do? Suggestions welcome…I am also after the relevant bits too for a good price 😀

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

A won’t work.

any rotor will work, 203 unlikely to be life changing.

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers Al

Just realised that Option A is a non-starter. 🙄
    So its 180 or 203 – not much extra power going up a size then?

Bregante

I’ve gone from 203 on the front of my last bike to 180 on the current one and I can’t tell the difference

(same brakes just changed the rotor)

d45yth
    Free Member

Are you heavy? There’s not normaly any need to put a 203mm rotor on a trail bike. It’s usually downhillers that use them. Some trail forks won’t be rated for them either.

rascal
    Free Member

About 14.5 stone so no Kate Moss.
    The Revs will take a 203 – just wondered if it was worth upping size as I need a new rotor anyway.
    Running XT brakes…can’t honestly say I’ve had an issue coming to a halt before though TBH.

Do you recommend a specific make of rotor?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

you’d need an adaptor also.

theocb
    Free Member

I have some XT 6 bolt floating rotors (so will still look the same as your xtr floating centre lock on the back), I have 180 and 203. I definately have a 203 adaptor for the front; will need to have a look for a 180.. sure I have one somewhere!
    Email me for some pics if you like.. sure we can workout a price.

ChrisL

Won’t you need an adapter for a 180mm rotor anyway? Revelations have 160mm post mounts (my 2011 one does anyway), I had to use an Avid post mount-to-post mount +20mm adapter when I got the forks to fit my Elixirs to them. I’m not sure I’d want to stack a second one on top so I could run a 203mm rotor!

acidchunks

I run a 180 on my revs, mate runs 203 on his (which is daft imo as he’s a 10st wonder) I can’t really tell the difference tbh.

Whatever you do don’t **** up your maxxle. the cut out section that the lever fits in for tightening/un-tightening is as flimsy as it looks and replacements are stupid money for what they are…(always use copper grease 😉 )

rascal
    Free Member

Bollards!

Seems ChrisL is right. Called Merlin and I need an adaptor to take a 180 anyway as forks set up for 160.
    What a faff. Nice new forks = new wheel plus new rotor plus adaptor. Expensive game this biking lark 😯

ChrisL

The Avid 160-180mm rotor adapter is fairly neat, as these things go, at least.

GW
    Free Member

D – grab a 160mm rotor, bolt it on without asking advice.
    I have loads of rotors kicking about tho

A brand new one’ll cost you about a tenner, S/H a fiver

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.