Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • What would you do?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Firebomb her it’s the only way. I would suggest nuking from orbit, but that might damage your nice new tarmac.

maxray
    Free Member

If you don’t “need” it, then what’s the problem? Some right effin moaners on here! 🙂 usually anything like this is like hearding cats so having 1 non payment meaning you are 27 quid out of pocket sounds like a result…. unless she’s your only neighbour… I’m which case unlucky 😀

Either way tho if your loaded consider it a gift to help her out.

aracer
    Free Member

The mistake made was not building in any contingency. If you’d assumed 2 people wouldn’t pay and priced accordingly, I don’t suppose any of those who have paid would have objected and you’d have got it for free.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Take her on a climbing holiday and see if your mate sleeps with her?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

“TandemJeremy – Member
    chillout FFS – you seem to get so wound up about stuff. IIRC this is at least the third post about your private road. there was somone parking on it and claiming bits with white stones. you couldn’t get it agreed to repair it. FFS one person hasn’t paid up straight away? Get a grip. Save your angst for important things
    POSTED 53 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST”

As usual you aren’t actually recalling previous posts correctly and as I have told you before I don’t make shit up so basically your post is utter bollocks which is probably – as I am beginning to realise – the same for most of your posts.

Well this is the one about your neighbour parking his van on it and claiming bits with white stones.

mastiles_fanylion – Member

1 – he parks his van on the access road which means it is a squeeze for other vehicles to get by (which they have a legal right to do)
    2 – he puts lots of stones out to mark his property’s boundary adjacent to where he parks his van
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-my-neighbour-a-mentalist
    Then there is this one about your drive
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-easy-is-it-to-driveoperate-one-of-these

So I don’t think that is actually wrong.

this thread is the third one at least about your shared drive – and one was at least in part about what I said.

so no need to be quite so snippy – you really need to chill out a bit 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well the first example I am having a laugh about a mentalist neighbour and the other is a post about advice so you aren’t exactly representing what I said accurately – in neither post was I in need of being chilled out unlike on this occasion.

Woody
    Free Member

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time and effort some people put into their arguments on this forum. Both in the form of subject research and trawling through old threads to find one or more posts to ‘prove’ a point.

Quite staggering. I feel I must be lacking in some sort of fibre in that I just can’t be arsed.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Woody. You just don’t ‘Hit Big’ ™. Face it, we can’t all be Internet Gods.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only took me a couple of minutes to prove MF wrong.

MF – you certainly come over as angry and would up about stuff like this all the time.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

So you thought that the repairs would cost £50 per person and you ended up paying £54, dry your eyes and get over it, its not worth worrying about. Get cash up front next time, lesson learnt. Merry Christmas!

Nick

You do realise how utterly pathetic this is, don’t you?

iDave
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So you thought that the repairs would cost £50 per person and you ended up paying £54,

The money is entirely irrelevant really – it is the principle of the fact I worked hard on it for three days and she put in nothing after agreeing to contribute (I received some kind of thanks from everyone else including some other neighbours who weren’t asked to contribute as they only rent). In fact on day two she tried to drive over the repairs in progress saying ‘I will only be an hour, can’t I park in front of my house’? Which says it all really – either a very selfish woman or not very aware of what was being done.

Never mind – I will chalk this one up to experience.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

hope you have good liabilty insurance and that no one trips and slips on the tarmac you laid… 😐

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Except you didn’t really prove me wrong did you?

Nick

Loving the eye, nice detail 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Woody. You just don’t ‘Hit Big’ ™. Face it, we can’t all be Internet Gods.

You’re right GG but it’s tough to accept 😥

I’m going to tackle my evident lack of OCD gene, starting by leaving a Wiki tab open at all times, lining up my tyre logos, RSS feed every topic and devise a spreadsheet to easily access and reference the data of anyone who’s ever disagreed with anything I’ve said.

It’ll be worth it to devote my life to the pursuit of interweb immortality……..

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Karma dude…. let it go.

this forum really is amazing some of the above replies unbelievable!

some of you need to get out more and get laid!

hunterst
    Free Member

ffs – i really do despair of some people on here. 🙄

Peace and goodwill to all blah blah blah

MrWoppit
    Free Member

it isn’t as if I *need* the money

That.

nbt

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    chillout FFS – you seem to get so wound up about stuff. IIRC this is at least the third post about…..

yeah, cos you’re such a laid back forum dude TJ, the soft voice of quiet reason who would never ever ever ever post repetitively about the same subject 😆

magowen100
    Free Member

My old dears live on a private road and had exactly the same happen. The way they dealt with this was twofold: Firstly they set up an official residents group and everyone agreed to put an extra £50 in the kitty for lane maintenance (cutting of hedgerows and re-surfacing). This payment was yearly though the lane would only need surfacing every 5 years or so depending on the traffic. Secondly they applied for a council tax re-banding as previously the council had surfaced the road as it was a bridleway. Luckily they successfully won the re-banding which gave all the residents up to 2k back.
    The advantage of an official group is that the work is never the preserve of one persons good will and also that the yearly newsletter goes round to all the residents and would detail all payments/disputes.
    So to cut a long story short the only non payer was named and shamed to all the other residents, who then did the chasing up for my Dad rather than him having to do it. In addition when the non payer saw they had missed out on the re-banding and about 2k they were the first to offer the cash the next year.

duckman

I have a problem; I wonder if anybody can help me; I am a little old widow living all alone in the house that my late husband built with his own hands.We live at the end of a lane right beside the main road with a number of houses further up the lane.Recently things have got bad here; a while back a travelling family moved in up the road,said he had come from Essex. Last week he offered to tarmac the drive. I was scared so agreed just to get him to go away. He blocked the lane off all weekend and shovelled some gravel onto it. On Sunday he came round to my house with his two bull terriers and asked me for money, what should I do?

On a serious note, don’t lose the good Karma you have earned by doing the lane by worrying about this person.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Now I am really pissed off – I did this as a huge favour to everyone as no-one has done a thing about it in the 8 years I have been there,

Maybe she doesn’t/didn’t care and doesn’t want to pay? I know I probably wouldn’t.

Woody
    Free Member

Coffeeking

Have you read any of this thread ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=17FBIoOJOhg#t=15s[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Maybe she doesn’t/didn’t care and doesn’t want to pay? I know I probably wouldn’t.

Perhaps not but she said she wanted it done and was happy to pay when I asked her before starting the work. If she wasn’t interested she could have told me then and I would have just asked the other willing residents for a little higher contribution and I would have left the holes outside her property for her to step in standing water every time she gets out of her car.

In fact… The next time she parks there I will dig a hole precisely where she plants her feet on getting out of her big 4×4 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking

Have you read any of this thread ?

Yes. The first post and several of the latter posts. Not all of it. What have I missed?

In fact… The next time she parks there I will dig a hole precisely where she plants her feet on getting out of her big 4×4

This kinda points to the answer though, she obviously doesn’t care (as I wouldn’t) about the holes and puddles on a small private road. She probably said yes just to shut you up and send you on your way, not much you can do – this is why it’s easier to look after yourself and not try to do everyone else favours I guess.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Coffeeking – you can’t have read it well then 😉

Everyone said they were happy to pay

thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe she’s forgetful/disorganised/slow? Some people are. It’s the other way round, but I’m still waiting for a bill from the plumber up the road 9 months after the work was done, despite reminding him every few weeks when I see him! She might get round to it yet.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Everyone said they were happy to pay

I saw that, but maybe she changed her mind but didn’t want to say “this seems like a waste of time, I’m happy with the bumps and puddles, I own a 4×4” as you’d already rushed off to buy stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw that, but maybe she changed her mind but didn’t want to say “this seems like a waste of time, I’m happy with the bumps and puddles, I own a 4×4” as you’d already rushed off to buy stuff.

She could have said that when I subsequently went round to ask for the money after completing the work but instead she just claimed to have not received the flyer I had posted through her letterbox and said she would pop me a cheque around later that day. And even then she didn’t have the good grace to thank me for doing it, instead she just came across as defensive about why she hadn’t paid. I am quite sure I won’t see the money or ever get a word of thanks from her 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

So she’s a liar and can change her mind at any time?

If she’d said that she didn’t want to pay when asked (presumably politely), then the OP could have factored in the extra cost between the others.

That’s his point.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mastiles, mastiles, calm down.

It. Doesn’t. Matter.

yunki
    Free Member

can’t Mrs Fanylion go round and threaten to kick her head in..?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mastiles, mastiles, calm down.

It. Doesn’t. Matter.
    I really know it doesn’t – I just feel like she has screwed me over and I don’t like it.

scuzz
    Free Member

Go and give her a big hug. She sounds miserable. Overlook this petty crap. Make the road a nicer place to live by reducing your passive aggression.
    She’s an adult woman – she isn’t going to change.

Next time, get it all in writing that they agree to pay and take it the legal route if someone doesn’t. No big deal.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Try a new angle:

Ask her out on a hot date, go around to hers all eyelids fluttering, with your tarmac-laying dungarees on, she will be unable to resist.

Take her to the swankiest retaurant in town – order the oysters, foie gras, quails eggs, the full shebang.

Then, when it comes time to pay the bill, claim you have no money and get the miserable old goat to fork out of her moth ridden purse.

You win. You might even get lucky.

stumpy01

First of all this:

Woody – Member
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time and effort some people put into their arguments on this forum. Both in the form of subject research and trawling through old threads to find one or more posts to ‘prove’ a point.

Quite staggering. I feel I must be lacking in some sort of fibre in that I just can’t be arsed.

Secondly, this would probably wind me up too. And it’s got nothing to do with the money, just the fact that she agreed to it and is now being slow to cough up.
    Sounds like she’s done it before & probably figures you’ll give up if she can put you off for long enough.
    Probably the only person to never buy a round at the pub too….

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.