Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • what would you do?
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Here we go… The wife invited one of the kids schoolfriends over for tea today, accompanied by his mum. She seemed really nice, and at one point asked me whether there were any jobs going at the hospital I work at – so far so good. Anyway, after she'd gone, she sent my wife a message on facebook – nothing dodgy, however, on checking her profile, turns out she's a member of the BNP! Do I (a) say sod off you nazi cow, (b) remain friendly but distant, for the sake of the kids, or (c) pretend we hadnt checked her profile. What would you do?

Smee
    Free Member

Nuke her from space. Move house first though. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

remain friendly but distant, for the sake of the kids

I'd probably do this personally.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Personally i would try to keep my kid away from hers, kids pick up racism from adults and do you want your kid exposed to the ignorance and bigotry she will inflict on her kid(s) ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

turns out she's a member of the BNP!

Big big difference between being a BNP 'voter' and being a BNP 'member' imo. She can hardly claim that she was unaware that the BNP is a thoroughly racist and homophobic party.

I would go for B. But I would take great relish in constantly making very pro-black/asian/whatever and pro-gay comments in her presence. You know, along the lines of, "Mr Patel at the newsagents is such a lovely bloke" That is bound to piss the racist cow right off.

Suggsey
    Free Member

See how things develop, not all members of the BNP are Nazis, some of them are just fed up with all the other mainstream parties and policies. If it were me I would manouevre a conversation round to relevant politics using a news story of the day. If she is blatantly racist then distance her but dont stop the kids from still seeing their friends, it is down to you to eductae your kids and leave them with open choices to make their minds up about their beliefs etc.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Mrs barnsleymitch has just decided that she's gonna mention she's a member of the ANL, etc, on her facebook profile, in the hope that the seig-heiling sow sees it and gets the hint.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would be a) for me.

stratobiker
    Free Member

'ave yer gor eny bombers?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The other thing that worries me is the fact that when she was asking about jobs at my place, I told her they were setting on at the minute, and I'd try to put in a good word for her. It's a pretty multi-cultural environment, so I wouldnt imagine her poltical views would do her any favours, and to be frank, wouldnt do me much good by association – I think I need to tackle things head on, and explain this to her.

stratobiker
    Free Member

'ave yer gor eny ****' bombers?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

And stratobiker, yes I have, but they're attached to my big hit, so I'll just give her a good shoeing instead!

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

See how things develop, not all members of the BNP are Nazis, some of them are just fed up with all the other mainstream parties and policies

I agree with this. You wouldn't discriminate against her if she confessed to voting for the bunch of twunts who have put the country into it's current state of being the laughing stock of Europe!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't even speak to her. Don't put a word in for her and no need to explain why. A BNP memer is a racist – or a fellow traveller

Oldgit – UK is not the "laughing stock of Europe" and Brown has won plauydits world wide for his handling of the crisis. Blame him for what he has done wrong and as there are plently of things you don't need to make any up

5thElefant
    Free Member

I agree with this. You wouldn't discriminate against her if she confessed to voting for the bunch of twunts who have put the country into it's current state of being the laughing stock of Europe!

I've never met anyone who voted labour or bnp. I'm amazed either can actually string enough words together to ask about job vacancies.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Oldgit – UK is not the "laughing stock of Europe"

I stand corrected – I meant 'of the world!!' 😐

Would that be the crisis of his own making when he was Chancellor?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Well, I voted for one of those parties, and I can assure you it wasnt the BNP – why would voting labour make me unable to string enough words together, etc?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

UK is not the "laughing stock of Europe and Brown has won plaudits …"

Totally irrelevant. Brown is neither racist nor homophobic.

I wouldn't recommend any sort of action if she was a member of the Tory Party – however much I might disagree with them.

Sounds to me that some might be sticking up for her because they have pro-BNP sympathies…

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Voting for any political party doesn't reflect your intellect, only your beliefs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Well, I voted for one of those parties, and I can assure you it wasnt the BNP – why would voting labour make me unable to string enough words together, etc?

I've never met one. Just assumed that they were idiots. Lets face it, it is all your fault (and that includes the bnp).

grantway
    Free Member

I cant see this person to try and convert your kid
    but keep an eye on it.
    Kids chop and change friends so I wouldnt be bothered.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OldGit – your ignorance is astounding.

The near roots of the crisis was sub prime mortgages in the USA, the long term roots the big bang deregulation of the banks under a tory government.

Brown has made mistakes for sure – but this crisis is not one of his.

Brown is widely respected worldwide for his handling of the crisis

paulosoxo
    Free Member

grantway – Member

A friend works for the NHS and as far has he tells me you cannot
    vote BNP if you work for the NHS.

surely you can vote for who you like!?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Know what you mean ernie – much as I hate to admit it ,I have some good mates who vote tory, and can easily ignore / accept their views, but BNP? cant really put that to one side.

cinnamon_girl

Stop judging people cos they don't fit into your box. Open your mind to the fact that some people have different views to yours.

grantway
    Free Member

Paulosoxo Nope they dont like it
    Even I said that but apparantly no
    I will ask tomorrow for the correct wording he used.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Ok, I'll concede that I shouldn't judge people purely because of their politics, but being a member of the BNP runs a bit deeper than that,doesn't it, or am I just being naive?

grumm
    Free Member

Stop judging people cos they don't fit into your box. Open your mind to the fact that some people have different views to yours.

You mean like racists?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grantway – you can vote for whoever you want. No one knows and no one can say owt. there is a debate about whether you can work in the NHS and be a member of the BNP. As far as I am aware this is not yet resolved.

kimbers

being a bnp member and advertising it on facebook indicates either immense naivety or plain old biggotry, imo

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member

Ok, I'll concede that I shouldn't judge people purely because of their politics, but being a member of the BNP runs a bit deeper than that,doesn't it, or am I just being naive?

You are right IMO. Racists are beyond the pale – or should be. Teh BNP are abhorrent and totally at odds with the values of a civilised society.

YOu cannot be a BNP member without supporting racism – its rather different being a member than it is being a voter for them

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

As far as the NHS not employing members of the BNP goes, I'm not sure – I dont think the NMC (registered nurses governing body) would be too keen though, I think the extreme right wing association may be seen as 'bringing the profession into disrepute'. However, most employers do check social networking sites from time to time, and in my experience will challenge membership of some of the more 'extreme'groups and parties.

grantway
    Free Member

Tandemjeremy No one knows LOL what is the bar code that is on your
    ballot card/sheet also when you collect your card at the polling
    station the person that gives you your voting card crosses/marks
    the same number thats on your card.
    So yes they do know what you have voted and thats how they monitor
    your voting, they know exactly what everyone votes.

Only way round is for everyone to remove the numbers/code on the ballet
    paper.
    Just remmember back to when you went into the ballot station what the person
    had done and during giving you your voting paper.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….but BNP? cant really put that to one side.

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've known a couple or so BNP members (but that's another story) and I've got on alright with them. Although obviously they I took the piss out of them and wound them up mercilessly. Invite her round again but before she comes round put a picture on the wall of Nelson Mandela or Bob Marley and make certain she sits facing it !

And I wouldn't worry too much about your kids either, they'll be fine imo if you've brought them up right. I was brought up in an environment which taught me how ludicrous racism was, nothing I experienced at school or elsewhere had any real effect in me.

I definitely would not help a BNP member get a job in the NHS though – the two are completely incompatible imo.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Brown has made mistakes for sure – but this crisis is not one of his.

TJ, what crisis are we talking about here that's not of his making – the ones made by his predecessor?

With all due respect, it's people like you who bring out the 'racist' and 'nazi' brushes and paint anyone who doesn't conform that will make the political extremists all the more attractive to the voter in the street who sees this country in it's current state, remembers how it was and sees nothing in the future apart from more broken promises.

Oh, and BTW, to save you asking, I am not a BNP member!

(As this post is now turning into an off-topic political platform, this will be my last say in the matter.)

kimbers

the voter in the street who sees this country in it's current state, remembers how it was and sees nothing in the future apart from more broken promises.

did i miss the apocalypse or something or do you live in baghdad?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Why punish children for the belief/values of their parents? It is beyond the child's choice or control so why take it out on them? Is doing that any kinder than avoiding people because of their race?

How can children of racist parents get alternative views of life if they are treated like lepers themselves?

Kramer
    Free Member

Tandemjeremy No one knows LOL what is the bar code that is on your
    ballot card/sheet also when you collect your card at the polling
    station the person that gives you your voting card crosses/marks
    the same number thats on your card.
    So yes they do know what you have voted and thats how they monitor
    your voting, they know exactly what everyone votes.

This is paranoid twaddle.

nonk
    Free Member

so then back to the op.
    in this situation i reckon b) bare in mind that you can't stop your kids hanging out with hers and more to the point why would you want to its not their fault mums a nazi is it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oldgit – the current econimic crisis

…………….
    The near roots of the crisis was sub prime mortgages in the USA, the long term roots the big bang deregulation of the banks under a tory government.

……………

How can the failure of banks due to irresponsible lending practices in the USA be Browns fault? UK banks were exposed to this risk because of financial deregulation in the "Big bang" I don't believe there was a labour government then.

Brown has made other mistakes for sure – but you are simply wrong to blame the current financial crisis on him – and across the world especially in the USA he is praised for his handling of it.

I am to blame for racists as well, Nice leap of logic. The BNP are racist. I call them that, I drive people into joining them?

I remember how it was under a tory Government – and far prefer it now – with less poverty and a better NHS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.