Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • What would be the odds of two ppl with a same username and password
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah he would have had to have had the email address before me and let it expire. Chances million to one. So must be an iTunes fault? But he agreed they were his details.

bearnecessities

Of course, although after his shirty response it was tempting for a second to tell him to bugger off.

It was the only email I received, i.e not even one to say thanks for returning.

Some people are just arses. Who would have thought it? 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Chances million to one.

Pretty sure they’re a lot smaller than that.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Your username is your registered email address for iTunes so how could you possibly have the same email address?

And the same random word plus 4 numbers password.

Something dodgy going on there.
    I regularly get emails for some guy in Alabama who has the same name, and an email address that is probably one mis-hit character away from mine.

And the thing with what you think are random words and numbers is that they’re probably not really all that random, so there’s probably a pretty good chance they’re not going to be unique once you get into millions of people, like on iTunes.

So between those two things is there a window for someone to have registered with the wrong email? Although you’d think he’d realise he didn’t get the confirmation… weird.

Tiger6791

iTunes requires a confirm it’s a double opt in.

Like I said, I call Bjorklets

oliverracing

Yeah – someone called Oliver Keyworth (not my name) has a very similar email to me, he recently booked flights from JFK to Houston, and I kept getting the “please confirm this is your email address” emails – in the end I rang him with the number he had provided to the airline – turns out his email address is the same but he has some numbers on the end where I don’t!

Gary_M
    Free Member

So between those two things is there a window for someone to have registered with the wrong email? Although you’d think he’d realise he didn’t get the confirmation… weird.

So mistyped his email address when creating it, typed what he thought was the correct email address to then log into itunes, which was the OP’s email address really, but managed to login as they both have exactly the same password.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It would be a better story if he had a smoking hot celebrity girlfriend, complete with iCloud photos which you then posted here 8)

Anyway the way all those Apple accounts that where broken were by guessable passwords and security questions so perhaps yours aren’t as random as you think.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So Tiger is calling me a liar?

teasel
    Free Member

Who’d have thought Fight Club could morph into Groundhog Day with a little help from an internet forum…

Tiger6791

So Tiger is calling me a liar?

Nope, but two people having the same U&P on Apple should be impossible and if you logged in and somebody else is using your account it isn’t a strange coincidence it’s something more un-toward.

Apple has had proven weaknesses in it’s Password recovery systems though, so there is a strong case of your account is being used by somebody else.

And correct the below if I’ve got this wrong; but it doesn’t stack up how I think I’ve got it.

You tried to register….

When you register it asks for your ‘current’ email, it then uses this as a unique identifier, emails are unique no question on that two people cannot have the same current email.

At this point it tells you that Username/Apple ID (your current email address) is taken / already in use.

So you try to Log in using your current email address & and your standard password
    (Apple IDs need a fairly strong password 8 Chars & 1Cap, 1Letter, 1Number and no consecutive)

So your current email address and a strong password logs you into an account and somebody else is using it.

At this point it’s not a coincidence, what are the chances, if somebody else is using your email address then something is very wrong.

You message him, how did you message him BTW? (You can’t email as the email is your current email?)

I’m sorry but I just can’t work it out? Where I have gone wrong?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pretty much it. I imessaged him.

Im unsure which of us created the account, maybe I did years ago and his details managed to populate it

Tiger6791

If he’s using your email then I don’t think it’s a happy coincidence, especially if you use the same password for your email.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Different password for email, anyone want his CC details for £20, that’ll learn him 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What would be the odds of two ppl with a same username and password’ is closed to new replies.