Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • What work shirts?
  • transapp
    Free Member

As I bloody hate high street shopping, who’s using what? I’m after something decent but cheap as I work in an engineering company and they will get trashed before they wear out!
    I know there was a thread about this a while ago with some decent web sites, but I simply can’t find it.

fadda

T M Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt get talked about a lot on here, but it may depend on what kind of “Engineer” you are…? 😉 (most of us on here are the software/IT type…)

stumpyjon

Don’t know, I love TM Lewin shirts, well made, last forever but a bit pricey unless you buy a lot in one go. In the same position, need some every day shirts for a new job (need ones that don’t look daft with no tie according to the missus).

RickyRah
    Free Member

TM Lewin are pretty standard for work shirts and you can usually get 4/5 for £100.

allthepies
    Free Member

M&S.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Another vote for tm lewin here.

fadda

Are Lewin better than Tyrwhitt, then? I bought some Tyrwhitt ones and was a bit underwhelmed, if I’m honest…

bol

TM Lewin. Great quality, good choice of cuts, lengths, fabric etc. Hard to fault for circa £20 a pop now that their buttons stay on too. 5 for £100 means you can have a nice clean one every day of the week. Bargain.

charliedontsurf

This won’t be any help, as I no longer need to wear a grown up version of a school uniform.

I just get a guy to print up a load of green t-shirts with “Charlie the Bikemonger – probably the best bike shop in Swanage” in the carlsberg style. Handy if I forget my name, what I do, or where I live.

atlaz
    Free Member

Another one for Lewins. Can’t really go wrong.

Bedds
    Free Member

M&S for me.. they look good and don’t reduce me to tears if they get ruined given the price.. reduced iron is good too

fenred
    Free Member

Whatever looks easiest to iron…Lewins cotton shirts take 10x longer than any other IME.

MarkyG82

Next outlet for me. Love the fitted cut and price.

ourmaninthenorth

Lewin. But mainly cos they’re usually on sale, so cheap enough to sling when they wear out after 6-12 months.

brakes
    Free Member

TM Lewin are frankly poor – the cotton isn’t finished well so it loses it’s shape, the cut is bad, looks flaccid after you’ve washed it once and creases far too easily.
    I much prefer Charles Tyrwhitt – not least because the cut is good and classic, and the cotton is better quality for the same price as TM Lewin.

anto164
    Free Member

Polo ralph lauren for me for when I don’t wear work issued branded polo shirts.

TiRed

Lewin here in slim fit.

Lewins cotton shirts take 10x longer than any other IME

You do iron them slightly damp, don’t you?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brakes is indeed right. Lewins were good when they were made in Essex, but now I wouldn’t touch them with a very long bargepole.

Tyrwhitt are indeed very good, if the cut works for you. I wear Roderick Charles these days. Great cut, excellent quality cottton.

My last three were bought at £19 a shirt in the sale. With a suit, and a second pair of trousers, that came to a little over £300. You really can’t go wrong with that, now can you!

Northwind

Can’t say as I noticed anything special about my Lewins or my Tyrwhitt shirt. So went back to Debenhams- boring, probably a bit plebby but they’re cheap, they look fine, they wear well, and they’re easy to look after too.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Hawes and Curtis, slim cut really suits my body shape, loads of plains, stripes and fancy ones with comparable cost to Lewins.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Austin reed mainly for me. baumler ones are good too if they are any cheap in Tk . I wasn’t overly impressed with the finish on lewin’s but i know a lot of people like them

I used to be big fan of Boss & Paul smith but pure cotton shirts are a nightmare to iron and keep looking good. I don’t see they are worth the money for work shirts either these days really.

onandon
    Free Member

TM Lewin shirts are made from really thick fabric which is bloody awful stuff.

Ted baker are nice for work shirts,M&S and also some of the ranges in Debenhams.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

3 for a tenner in Primark. If they’re good enough for Lineker, Hansen and Shearer on a Saturday night they’ll be good enough for you.

tron
    Free Member

Had both TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt shirts. The Lewins were un ironable and went back to the shop sharpish. Tyrwhitt non irons still need ironing, but it is at least very easy. Tyrwhitts also fit me far better. Both have a no quibble returns policy.

If standard cut shirts fit you ok, Debenhams Osborne shirts are good and are often on sale for 15 to 20 quid a piece.

aP
    Free Member

If you do buy Tyhrwhitt you have to factor in their outstandingly tedious marketing emails/ mailshots which are relentless. I added them to my spam list within 2 weeks of buying a tie from them.

CHB

Ted Baker or Hawes and Curtis.

BenjiM

George at Asda. Cheap and cheerful and not bothered if they get damaged. THey don’t look to bad either. Surprisingly hard wearing too.

globalti
    Free Member

M&S every time. I used to buy Van Heusen but they have disappeared.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Used to be a fan of M&S, but think the quality as dropped of late, and never a great cut on the shirt.

I find Next the best overall.

Often wondered about Asda ones, but never quite gone for them… dont want to waste £5 afterall 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

John Lewis Easy Care slim fit for me :p The slim fit on them is more like just a tailored normal shirt so you don’t get a huge overlap on the waist if you have a big neck.

shooterman

Eterna. They outlast everything else.

samuri
    Free Member

Apart from BenjiM, the rest of you need to examine your man credentials.

Work shirts can be bought at ASDA or Tesco’s. They will do the job of clothes that a man requires of them, i.e. the cover the hairy bits and stop you dying of cold. Any additional functionality that clothes provide is something that girls need, not you.

BigJohn

My Mrs has a standing instruction to grab any thick white cotton shirt with a button-down collar in a size 16.5 that she sees in TK Maxx.

I think button-downs are essential when under a jacket without a tie.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Matalan. Cheap & cheerful. Reasonable quality given the low price

warton
    Free Member

I’m with brakes and CFH, TM Lewin aren’t what they used to be, quite a few elbows have torn in pretty new shirts. I’ve given Charles Trewhitt a go, and I like them, slightly long in the arm, but I’ll be sticking with them from now on.

Also worth having a look in TK Maxx every now and again, got a nice Ralph Lauren for 25 quid last month.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Work shirts can be bought at ASDA or Tesco’s. They will do the job of clothes that a man requires of them, i.e. the cover the hairy bits and stop you dying of cold. Any additional functionality that clothes provide is something that girls need, not you.

well said by the back office IT manager 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I forgot, all shirts can have additional functionality. A top pocket to put pens and screwdrivers in. Maybe a slide rule.

lunge

Charles Thyritt for me, the slim fit ones are not that slim, better described as “fitted” and they fit me a treat. 4 for £100 is pretty good value as well.

I like nice work clothes as, depressingly, I spend more time in my work shirts, suits and ties than I do in my casual clothes.

RustyMac

How do the Charles Trewhitt normal fit shirts size up? i am more of a chunnky build with a 16.5 inch neck. Got a leaflet last nigh for £5 off a spend of £49 or more so 2 shirts for £45 seems alright to me.

lunge

The normal ones will be fine, I prefer the slim fit and I am in no way slim (6’4″, 16 stone, think 2nd row rather than racing snake).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What work shirts?’ is closed to new replies.