Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What wheels?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I want a lightweight set of wheels for my SX Trail so I can use it for some more xc type stuff.

I have estimated the current wheels (Spank Subrosa rims/hope bulb hubs) weigh around 2kg without tyres, so I’m looking for something lighter than that for around £300-400.

I already have some Conti Rubber Queens to use so the tyres aren’t an issue.

br
    Free Member

I have estimated the current wheels (Spank Subrosa rims/hope bulb hubs) weigh around 2kg without tyres, so I’m looking for something lighter than that for around £300-400.

Weighing them might be handy, and Hope Hoops.

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t have any scales. Hence the “estimated”.

br
    Free Member

Buy scales (you can get digital ones for under a £5).

Cheaper than finding out the wheels you buy are heavier than the ones you already have…

BadlyWiredDog

Buy scales (you can get digital ones for under a £5).

Borrow some – free!

Then Hope Hoops with Flow or Arch NoTubes rims it it were me.

Northwind

Hoops with Flows won’t be a huge weight saving there, assuming the estimate’s halfway right.

TBH it’s quite a big ask, for a bike like that. I could recommend my Fulcrum Red Zone XLRs, they came in under your budget and they’re basically a Crossmax SX ripoff 😉 But they’re not so easy to find at that price.

mikey74
    Free Member

Those Fulcrums are only around 150g lighter, so not much saving there either. From what I remember, Crossmax STs are around 1500g, but pretty expensive.

663sqd
    Free Member

Ztr crests with hope pro 2 evo hubs

663sqd
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Free Member

663sqd – Member

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    663sqd – Member

Deserving of a double-recommendation in fact. 🙂

dan45a
    Free Member

i would say hope hoops but flow rims on pro2 evo not crest on an sx trail!! I was really dissapointed with my crest hoops I ran on my 5″ trail bike. they got really out of shape with just regular trail centre stuff.

My flow hope hoops have help up perfectly on my orange alpine 160, mega avalanlche, UK DH, trail centre riding, I think they are approx 1850 grams.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think they are approx 1850 grams.

That’s the issue with them: I’m not sure if that weight saving is worth spending several hundred quid on.

patriotpro
    Free Member

i would say hope hoops but flow rims on pro2 evo not crest on an sx trail!!

Aren’t Crest designed for XC?

dan45a
    Free Member

crossmax sx’s are your only real option to save weight then (1755g) but they are pricey. They are probabaly the strongest versus lightest out there before you get into carbon rims.

You might get away with stans arch rim on pro2 but would not go lighter on and sx trail, but I am assuming you are using it for more gravity focused riding? If not perhaps you are on the wrong bike for wieght saving??

I had an sx trail and it was awesome for the alps and DH stuff, but was a slog on 20km plus trail centre rides.

I now run some 2012 crossmax ST’s and although slightly heaiver than the crest/pro2 setup they replaced they are definetly quicker wheels. The quicker engament is very noticable.

also just remembered CRC have some easton havens with 50% off they are pretty strong and only 1650g htat would meet your budget, easton have also released some sort reworked part free of charge for the known rear hub issue.

mikey74
    Free Member

It was the Crossmax STs I was looking at. Unfortunately lost out on some on ebay.

I’ll check out those Eastons, although have also heard about their poor sealing and short bearing life.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You might get away with stans arch rim on pro2 but would not go lighter on and sx trail,

Even if it’s for

more xc type stuff.

Northwind

Crests for an SX Trail… Nah. It’ll still be a big, slow bike, it just won’t be able to make use of it any more. If Crests are suitable then the rest of the bike won’t be… Spend £400 on a used XC bike!

mikey74 – Member

Those Fulcrums are only around 150g lighter, so not much saving there either.

1705g from 2kg is a lot tastier than 1880.

kudos100
    Free Member

Why not run a 2nd hand air shock and save a pound for £100? You could get a 2nd hand pair of xc wheels for £150 and togther with the shock, would make some difference to pedalling the bike uphill and on the flat.

mikey74
    Free Member

Why not run a 2nd hand air shock and save a pound for £100? You could get a 2nd hand pair of xc wheels for £150 and togther with the shock, would make some difference to pedalling the bike uphill and on the flat.

The SX Trail has a proprietary shock mount that doesn’t allow you to run anything other than a coil shock.

Re Rims: According to the manufacturer’s blurb, my Spank rims are 520g, the Crests are 340g and the Arch are 400g.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem with using rims designed for xc type stuff albeit on a heavy-duty trail bike.

So are the wheels for

more xc type stuff.

aswell as heavy-duty trail duties?

mikey74
    Free Member

When I said “xc type” stuff, I meant riding pretty much anything I can find; the more technical the better, with a fair amount of climbing in between.

kudos100
    Free Member

The SX Trail has a proprietary shock mount that doesn’t allow you to run anything other than a coil shock.

Ah yes I forgot the old spesh magic when it comes to shocks. The reason I won’t buy another specialized again.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have heard that the shock clevis from the SX will fit on the SX Trail, allowing you to run an air shock, but how easy they are to get hold of is anyone’s guess.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What wheels?’ is closed to new replies.