Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What wheels, £250
  • jonb
    Free Member

Thinking about new wheels.

I want to do “proper” tubeless and was hoping to get Mavic 819 rims.
    Want something stronger than a mavic 717 but no need for it to be a freeride rim.

It looks like the best I can find in terms of price is hope hoops with the flow rim. A bit over built but I’ll cope with the extra weight

Is the alloy carrier actually a problem with cheaper casettes like deore?

Anything to recommend. Previously I’ve got my wheels handbuilt so I’m still tempted by hope pro 2 with 819 rims. But are there factory wheels you could recommend.

boxelder

Is the alloy carrier actually a problem with cheaper cassettes like deore?

Yes, they’ll chew it and get stuck.
    Pro2 on stans rims from Wheelpro are great value and excellent service – arrive set up for tubeless and 20mm convertors.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve worked alongside some top mechanics, and they’ve all said that hand-built wheels are better than factory bling jobbies. IE, Hope hubs on Mavic rims, with DB spokes, are better value than yer Cross-whatever, or the poncy low-spoked factory ones. Good old 32 spoke 3-cross wheels are just more reliable, and easier to sort out, than yer exotic fancy-spoked money pits.

jonb
    Free Member

boxelder – Member

Is the alloy carrier actually a problem with cheaper cassettes like deore?

Yes, they’ll chew it and get stuck.
    Pro2 on stans rims from Wheelpro are great value and excellent service – arrive set up for tubeless and 20mm convertors.

So not only am I going to be shelling out more for wheels but nearly double everytime I need a new cassette? Which seems to be about every 6 months. XT looks more appealing again

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You can get the Pro 2s with a steel freehub. Trust me; they’d piss over XT. Hope are proper quality.

jonb
    Free Member

double post?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What wheels, £250’ is closed to new replies.