Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What Wheels???
  • Hornet600
    Free Member

90kg all kitted up
    Mainly ride XC around Thetford, North Downs and occassional trip to the Peaks.
    Race D2D and other endurance races.
    Need to be light but strong.
    No jumps or drops, just normal XC which has 6" steps max.

So far –
    Hope Hoops Pro II Crest or XC717
    FSA XC 500 SL
    Mavic Crosstrail
    American Classic All Mountain

DT78
    Free Member

I'm saving up for the AC's. Pretty much same requirements as you.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Looks wise I prefer the AC for sure but somewhat of an unknown to me due to being a DT Swiss man.

mboy
    Free Member

Hope Hoops, 355's/Crest's if you run sub 2.2" tyres, Flows if you like a wider tyre with a bigger profile.

I'm about 80kg these days, and my 355's have impressed me just how strong a lightweight rim is these days. Certainly a marked improvement over the Mavic 717's and DT4.2's…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've got Hoops with xc717s and am very happy with them – 75kgs all kitted up though.

DT78
    Free Member

These are the ones I'm looking at
    http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=132

a few 100g's lighter than 355/proII and about £100 more expensive. I've started a few threads on XC wheelsets and the AC's get good comments, you can do lighter for the money though.

Apparently the AC has a quicker pickup than the proII, so I'll be interested to see if I can tell the difference. Tbh, I just want something a bit different as I've been running 4.2/proII for years and the 355 isn't significant a difference to warrent shelling out for a new wheelset.

Plus I reckon they would look pretty cool with a black/white bike 🙂

rnewell1973
    Free Member

If you run UST then arch or 355 Rims on pro2. If run tubes then 717 on pro2. Xt775 are light and strong but hubs don't last as long.

schmiken

Go for the American Classic 26 Tubeless, lighter and nicer looking!

thejesmonddingo

I've got the Crest on ZTR from here http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=4213 ,lovely wheels,I weigh 85kg and do the same sort of riding as you.
    Ian
    P.S. They are very light.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I love my Hopes on Stans Flow, super burly but light at the same time, like so contradictory dude !!

hh45
    Free Member

Crests on Pro IIs running well so far. I'm a bit lighter than you but similiar terrain. I also am getting along fine with 2.25 nobby nics running tubeless.

thejesmonddingo

I've got normal Mountain King 2.2s,running tubeless on mine.
    Ian

Hornet600
    Free Member

Seems like Crest on Pro II or AC Tubeless then.
    Given that AC's are £100 more it makes Crests better but the AC's are rarer and better looking IMHO, decisions……….
    It's a new build and I have been speccing it all as my perfect bike…….

DT78
    Free Member

AC's is where my money will be going looks are important:)

Another thing to think about is type of axles you need to use. I think AC's are only QR or 20m and don't come with the adaptors.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Magura Durins on the the front, so QR front and rear.
    Thanks for the help.
    I know a local shop was selling All Mountains for £350, will ask tomorrow about tubeless.

DT78
    Free Member

If you can get them for £350 I'd be interested too! Been trying to track down a set second hand for a while as haven't got enough for new.

Kevevs
    Free Member

pro2 717 up front. 719 on the rear. I'm a kamikaze rider sometimes, 11 stone. but never anything massive, just xc, few drops, bumpy stuff. wheels are lovely 🙂

Hornet600
    Free Member

DT ygm

njee20
    Free Member

Pro 2 on Crests would probably get my vote, or ZTR hubs if I was spending a bit more.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What Wheels???’ is closed to new replies.