Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What free website builder?
  • clubber
    Free Member

Our team's website works well enough but it's just a series of standard html pages. I'd like to get a bit more up to date to allow more functionality (eg secure areas and so on) so am looking for a free website builder.

So, suggestions please and what are the advantages (for use on Windows)

(Would have forum searched but the search doesn't seem to work well enough atm to find what I want despite knowing that it has been discussed previously)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

not free, but a copy of serif webplus x2 or earlier can be had on ebay for very little. super easy to use.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Something like wordpress might be worth a look if you're semi web tech competent…

Not sure how you'd turn a wordpress template into something a bit more distinctive and well, LVIS…

What is your level of ability?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Depends on competancy – textedit for the fully fledged geek

clubber
    Free Member

Well I work in IT and have decent coding skills in other languages so I reckon I should be able to cope.

As you say though, whatever I use needs to be customisable enough to make it look right.

redthunder
    Free Member

Drupal

warton
    Free Member

+1 for Drupal. easy to use straight out the box, but you can do loads with it once you're a bit more confident

clubber
    Free Member

That sounds promising

warton
    Free Member

clubber, its php, so any exerience of C or server side scripting and you'll be fine. as far as I know its the only off the peg CMS that is used in massive websites, universal and sony to name two.

clubber
    Free Member

Sadly no experiece of those but I'm sure I'll be able to pick up what I need

GaryLake
    Free Member

I use Modx, it's very good but support is flaky and learning curve can be a little steep as a result. I use it for everything now as it's our CMS of choice at work – it would make little sense learning something else now.

If you can code html and css, wordpress, drupal, joomla should all be fully customisable without too much effort.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What free website builder?’ is closed to new replies.