• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What waterproof boots that aren't wellies?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

For dog walking, beaches, and generally traipsing around.
    Need to be comfortable, lightish, as breathable as possible so i don’t get sweaty wet feet and preferably not more than £100…

ajantom

I had some really good lightweight motorcycle boots from Lidl. They were styled a bit like hiking boots, but taller.
    They did sterling at festivals for two or three years.
    They were about £25.

Greybeard
    Free Member

How about knee length waterproof socks with whatever light shoes you like (crocs in summer?)

pocpoc
    Free Member

I got some sort height boots from decathlon that I think were classed as snow boots. They were like a crocs manufacturing style (don’t mock me!) With a removable liner.
    I use them daily for dog walking and they’re great but I don’t know if they still do them.
    I’ve seen a similar looking one in there that I think replaced them.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

inov-8 make some goretex boots (instead of trainers)

So a bit more height (ankle), but still light and flexible.

funkrodent

Have a look at 5.10. On their own website they have trail boots that are shod in the same stealth rubber as the bike shoes, leather outer with Goretex inner, ankle high. Very comfortable and when I bought them a couple of weeks ago, reduced from £140 to £80. Great for winter biking as well as walking, I rate mine highly

Edit – Camp four GTX are the ones. Still on sale. Make sure you go to their own website and look under ‘hiking’

jam-bo

If you mean the guide tennie gtx, they are stealth rubber but not quite as soft as the mtb variant.

I have a pair, they’re great.

mugsys_m8

Needle sports had soem 5.10 shoes on offer via. a newsletter I got sent. Pretty sure at least one pair was gtx.

funkrodent

Those Guide Tennies look great. Not in my size though (I’m 12.5 in 5.10s). Different rubber as well, the Camp Fours have the same S1 rubber that you find on the biking shoes. Tread pattern is obviously different but they still provide excellent grip

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Haix army boots like the ones below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-British-Army-Brown-HAIX-Cold-Wet-Weather-Goretex-Combat-Boots-Grade-1-/231825700745

I got mine unissued (brand new) from a local army surplus place for £60 so those ebay ones are too pricey. They’re great boots, warm, waterproof to above the ankle and comfy, nothing like the old DMS type.

The only thing is they are pretty high and I find the ankle support too much in a low slung car. Anything with the seat more than 8″ off the floor is fine though.

bazwadah
    Free Member

rock and run have 5.10 Camp Four GTX in size 12.5 link

(shoes rather than boots but gore tex and £69.90)

matthewmountain
    Free Member

This is STW and nobody has suggested Durbarry, kept next to the wood fuel store?

househusband

This is STW and nobody has suggested Durbarry, kept next to the wood fuel store?

*Dubarry*

At least get it right, matthewmountain! 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

Could try some decent quality wellies. eg something with neoprene uppers. They can be a lot more comfortable and breathable than your usual cheap type.
    Look at Muck Boots or Grubs Boots. They have some shorter height versions if you prefer.

mariner
    Free Member

Derri Boots.

matt10214
    Free Member

I use these for walking my dog, wouldn’t say light but very comfortable and waterproof.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-skiddaw-mens-walking-boots-182036?colcode=18203605

wrightyson
    Free Member

welliebobs
    Had hunters previously but they caught on and ramped the price up, currently sporting a joules pair, regularly worn with big socks and shorts. Remind me very much of my blundestones from the mid 90’s which I clubbed in.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well, I had a look at those 5:10 Camp Four against my better judgement (last pr I owned fell apart much sooner than they should have). Great discount, but not surprised on viewing them, they look like trainers designed for the vertically challenged, Prince/Symbol would have been proud of that Cuban heel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good leather walking boots, I got a pair of scarpa from a PSA on here a good 3 years ago, walking in southern uplands generally tests how water proof boots are, never even so much as a damp sock even in 4/5 inches of water.

They were only 55 quid as well, best footwear I’ve owned, and they still look like new.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

As previously mentioned Haix high liability combat boots, goretex lined. Take a bit of breaking in but you can paddle in 6 inches of water. Got mine for 50 quid unissued

Think the list price is £280

benp1

For proper wet ground wellies are more waterproof and easier to maintain that proper boots, a good pair are comfy and warm

I have 2 pairs of walking boots, plus 3 pairs of walking shoes, but nearly always wear my muck boots for walking the dogs when I know it’s going to be a wet walk – they’re just easier

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof boots that aren't wellies?’ is closed to new replies.