Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • What was your most surprising live band experience?
  • bartat
    Free Member

Bad manners, Sheffield ’83. Expected a bit of a laugh, band were out with us for the support act, they were scary!! And sheer raw explosion of energy when the set kicked off.

darrell
    Free Member

Seeing a then unknown band called Diamondhead as the support act to April Wine in 1981

brilliant

xherbivorex
    Free Member

…and you probably don’t know who Propagandhi or ALL is. That is not surprising, but still wrong.

ha, i was at the ALL show at the duchess too. if it was when they toured for the Allroy’s Revenge record… scott reynolds left the nastiest smelliest gift in the bogs that night too. dirty little ginger!

and tom, the promoter for the propagandhi show posted on punktastic ‘explaining’ what happened. it’s quite interesting…

also, rusty trowel- was that fishbone at the astoria, when angelo got totally naked too? if so, yes. i was there too!

sslowpace
    Free Member

A good few years ago I saw Zodiac Mindwarp and the love reaction (Class) at the Bristol studio. Supported by some little band called the wonder stuff, who were fannying about doing an electo acoustic set and were rubbish. Six months later they were excellent.

Also got given a last minute freebie ticket to see The Jeff Healy band, ruddy brilliant.

shellac
    Free Member

Motorhead = always awesome….

Maiden are always good.

Best ever????? Kraftwerk, no comparison, apart from Silicon Scally, who is probably the most underated electronic act this country has ever produced (also under Scarletron)

Biggest suprise? Maybe Tool at Reading, first act on yonks ago. Biggest disapointment – Kings Of leon, no atmosphere or attitude. Dull as….. very surprised…

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Saw the dwarves in brum about 6 yrs back…. most surprised to see hewhocannotbenamed playing… due to the fact he was supposed to be dead? weird. oh and most of them were bollock naked most of the show, but theres nothing unusual about that with the dwarves! amazing live band. those boys are sick. oh, and i ****’ love ALL and the propagandhi too! why did the gandhis not play anywhere near brum this tour?? damn shame! maybe its all the meat eatin’ homophobes we got here!

jack
    Free Member

Savage Garden – Manchester Union C1998 – not that savage apparantly.

baa
    Free Member

British Sea Power at the Square, Harlow

repatriot
    Free Member

M Ward
    Super grass
    Bob Dylan
    David Byrne (which was probably my favorite as i thought he would be a bit too up himself and he was just the opposite and mesmerizing)

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Beastie Boys, Glasgow 1999……..i knew they’d be good but not that good 😀

BEST GIG EVER (in my book)

hot_fiat

The Feeling when they were supporting The Charlatans at Newcastle Carling Academy. Their recorded music is overproduced pop-centric cr@p, but live they have an amazing raw edge which has been completely lost when put down on tape. Made me appreciate just how important good production is in recorded sound.

Pook

Flaming Lips at Leeds Wireless Festival supporting The Who. Dancing santas, nuns, astronauts, aliens and the lead singer coming out in the crowd in a big bubble. Ace.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was really taken with Cheap Trick when I saw them supporting Motley Crue way back when.

Biggest disappointment (by a fair margin) were Jamiroqui.

foxylaydee
    Free Member

I second stilltortoise, Muse were unexpectedly amazing! Perhaps not so unexpected but Led Zepp were amazing too (understatement) 🙂

beings
    Free Member

For me Sonic Youth, Reading 1991. Walked through into the main arena and heard the opening of Tunic (song for Karen). Been a live music fan ever since…

TooTall
    Free Member

I was working as Security and we had the Five Blind Boys of Alabama playing – knew it would be a hand-woven-from-lentil-flax world music kind of crowd so we were not exactly enthused.

5 old men who had sung in the same choir at the blind school they had attended in Alabama. They had the sweetest voices and backed by a great band. These old men (60 – 85) had never seen a days sunshine in their lives yet they were praising God for all he had given them. Their lead singer walked off the stage (with his helper) and sang from the audience, really getting amongst it.

There were agnostics, non-believers, doubters and heathens working that night – not one of us failed to be utterly humbled by these 5 old men and the immense power they brought with them – misty eyes and thousand yard stares a-plenty after they left.

Jesus Jones supporting the Wonder Stuff (Disco King tour). IMMENSE wall of wonderful sound.

langy
    Free Member

Shellac – that sucks, just saw KOL in Sydney a month or so ago, they were awesome. 12000 people singing Sex is on Fire was an utter barrage of sound. Did far more of their back catalogue than me or the wife expected which was cool too.

The Police here in Adelaide were really good also; was a funny night, went with the mother in law (!) and all these posers who just wanted to say they’d seen The Police were half asleep until the chorus for a number of songs because they weren’t exactly the same as on the greatest hits album.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at the Jazz Cafe was really good; mixed crowd and a whole lotta dancing!

If you like Blues and CW Stoneking comes to an intimate venue near you, go see him; his voice is something else and he is a funny guy; quite the story teller

ransos
    Free Member

Asian Dub Foundation at Glastonbury, 1999. I was never a huge fan of their recorded stuff, but they’re awesome live.

I saw Chuck Berry last year – he’s well past it but I didn’t care – it was great to see the 81 tear-old still strutting his stuff.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m quite sad to say it by Dr and the Medics were a great live band. Got dragged along by a couple of mates and thoroughly enjoyed it. They was some problem with the PA system halfway through, so they got the crowd to start voting what songs they wanted to listen to after it’d been sorted.

Saw them again at Newcastle Univ – the lead singer it pretty tall, always used to come onstage, do a great leap in the air and a big kick and start singing. Now the University stage had a really low air con duct or something above the stage. He jumped up and smacked this duct full on and landed in a heap on the floor. The band kept playing for a bit, give ’em their dues before he staggered back to his feet, bless him!

Was never that bothered by Pulp, but they were fantastic at Leeds Festival a couple of years ago.

Best gig, probably Husker Du – wall of sound with such intensity. Think they said “thank you” at the end, between songs was just feedback….

MoreCashThanDash

I no particular order:

Dave Lee Roths first solo tour – he appeared on an island in the middle of the crowd which had little devils that urinated over us, before riding back to the main stage aboard a giant inflatable microphone, and then the curtains at the rear of the stage opened to reveal a pair of giant inflatable fishnet stockinged legs that drew your eyes right up the middle….

The Pretenders at Gateshead stadium – never had any time for them, but they were awesome live

Glen Tillbrook from Squeeze, did an open air gig at Nottingham a few years back – one bloke, one guitar, just stood there and belted out Squeeze’s Greatest Hits, absolutely superb.

footstomper
    Free Member

Saw Faithless at the MEN arena and they where awesome, Maxi Jazz was totally brilliant I just wish i could have been in the Mosh pit as it was non stop rocking from the first note to the last 😛 😛

IHN

Erm, Rod Stewart at Maine Road, supported by Status Quo.

In my defence the tickets were free, however I had an excellent time. Just goes to demonstrate the good showmanship transcends all.

baa
    Free Member

Husker Du.
    Gillian Welch.
    The Two Gallants
    The Sisters of Mercy.
    The New Bomb Turks.
    Rocket From The Crypt
    The old Crow Medicine Show
    Johnny Thunders, at Bowes Lyon Stevenage, his last gig before he died,
    and for a change not out of his head on what ever.

mccett
    Free Member

swadey – I saw DLR on that tour, absolutely brilliant.

Most unexpected – The Bronx supporting Rise Against last year were great, singer wandering round the pit during They Will Kill Us All.

Worst – Angels and Airwaves supporting FF at Old Trafford – utter self indulgent bilge. Then the Strokes came on and somehow A&A didnt seem as bad. Gash.

lunge

Prodigy and Faithless were both amazing but you kind of expect that.

British Sea Power i went to because i got a free ticket and they were amazing, very very atmospheric. Turin Breaks were also spot on.

twohats
    Free Member

Erm, Rod Stewart at Maine Road, supported by Status Quo

Quo gigs look like they would be quite a laugh!
    We were going to go to one a few years back as part of a works do, but it never came off…

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

I’m so bummed that i never got to see Husker Du, seems like a few fans on here

Bimbler
    Free Member

Most surprising was the support band (forgot their name) who played with MDC in San Francisco in the early nineties – proper full on riot grrrl Lesbian orgy and a lot of hardcore punk.

theotherjonv

Most surprising gig experiences:

A mate and I had tickets for the Wonder Stuff at Reading Riverside early 90’s. They were great, btw, but that wasn’t the surprising bit.

My mate got injured a couple of days earlier, and asked me to flog his ticket. There was this young, fit indie-girl at work so i asked her if she’d like it. She stayed at my folks house that night (purely platonic, just convenient) and then in the morning we just chatted, copied a few cd’s she didn’t have, etc. and found we got on really well.

She’s now my wife and mother to my two girls. Which is a pretty surprising outcome to going to see the Stuffies.

And a second: at Glastonbury (95 I think) thefuturemrsotherjonv and I were watching Oasis headlining on Friday night and became aware of a lanky bloke in geeky glasses arguing with his mates directly in front of us. It was none other than Jarvis Cocker and Pulp, arguing about whether they should stay and ‘check out the competition’ or go and see Prodigy on the other stage! The surprising bit – seeing Oasis a year or so later at Earls Court with the same mate who’d not gone to the Stuffies previously, I was recounting the Jarvis story to him when AT THAT EXACT MOMENT Jarvis walked into the bar foyer as if it was planned. That ‘surprised’ me too

sc-xc

footstomper – Member
    Saw Faithless at the MEN arena and they where awesome, Maxi Jazz was totally brilliant I just wish i could have been in the Mosh pit as it was non stop rocking from the first note to the last

Faithless was pretty suprising for me, they must have had a bad night because they were utter shite. The crowd was too busy taking pictures/video on their mobiles to dance (people that do that should f*ck right off the dancefloor). One of the few gigs I have ever walked out of (other notable shite was one of the many Wonderstuff comebacks. Some bands should really learn when enough is enough)

theotherjonv – great stories!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I’m so bummed that i never got to see Husker Du, seems like a few fans on here

aye.
    although i did see sugar, who were pretty damn good.
    and i saw leatherface tons of times, which was almost like seeing husker du i imagine…

MoreCashThanDash

I would recommend Status Quo for a top night out – the guy next to us was smoking a pipe and wearing a tweed jacket, and he was probably younger than the band….

yossarian
    Free Member

mudhoney at the astoria in 1990(ish). they were flippin loud, flippin fast and well up for it. amazing gig. Remember seeing some crazy man jump up on stage, have a brilliant fight with a couple of bouncer types, chuck them into the crowd and then dive in after them!

never did get to see husker du : (

brain donor are/were pretty mad live.

kimbers

a couple of years ago wandered into my local ..the Salisbury Arms on Green Lanes in Harringay for some of their excellent beer

in the back room was a band of about 5 gerriatric transvestites and a crazy girl in a bunny outfit doing some kind of jazz rock funk craziness

absolutely **** mental : )

FG
    Free Member

Kaiser Chiefs are always good live, as are The Futureheads. Most surprising was The Go! Team. Absolutely awesome and proving that if the band look like they’re enjoying themselves, the gig is better (take note, Interpol). Also great due to the energy they create were Rollins Band and Capdown.

The most disappointing gig I’ve been to was Placebo. I may as well have put on a CD at home and saved the ticket money. Pish.

finbar
    Free Member

I was surprised/disappointed by how dull Oasis and Supergrass were live. Stereophonics were monumentally boring too, but that wasn’t a massive shock.

Pickles
    Free Member

Very suprised by The Streets at the Electric Proms in Camden last year. I wasn’t expecting much, but the atmosphere was brilliant, audience involvement, a big sound too especially with a choir and an orchestra backing them up.
    Also Noah and the Whale supporting the Fratellis at the Union Chapel for the Little Sound sessions in Islington, I’d never heard of them before, but they were oddly brilliant.

Most disappointed by Oasis in Finsbury Park about 5 or 6 years ago. Boring, derivative rubbish with no passion. There was more excitement just avoiding the bottles of p*ss being flung backwards through the audience.

Kimbers – The Salisbury is my local too. Small world.

Sandwich

Followed my kids into one of the tents at V2007 (?) to watch Air Traffic, never heard of them before then, brilliant energy from them and the crowd (felt old as well)
    Also saw Rodrigo Y Gabriela at the same V and was the only bloke in my part of the arena singing Wish You Were Here, they gave up as the crowd were too young. 🙁
    To continue the theme I was the only bloke in my part of Hyde Park accompanying Lemmy to Motorhead and Ace of Spades. Pfft youth of today.

ourmaninthenorth

Phoenix festival, 1993 – was getting too wet listening to Thurston Moore jamming drumsticks under his guitar strings and Sonic Youth rumbled through Dirty. Went to the nearest tent only to discover the Buzzcocks in the middle of Orgasm Addict.

That was unexpectedly ace.

ourmaninthenorth

Flaming Lips at Leeds Wireless Festival supporting The Who. Dancing santas, nuns, astronauts, aliens and the lead singer coming out in the crowd in a big bubble. Ace.

Wonderful, but not that surprising from them..!

Actually – there’s another one: Flaming Lips closing their encore with a cover of Warpigs. That susprised a few people…!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What was your most surprising live band experience?’ is closed to new replies.