Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • What was wrong with Leading link forks / Whyte /USE sub / Girvins?
  • stuey
    Free Member

<Okay so the rain has gotten to me>
    The whole up and over J shaped non diving thing – seemed like a good idea(s)
    Aside from fashion and improved research/damping in telescopics -Why didn't these succeed?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A good point. They rode well, tracked well and were a clever idea.

Aesthetics may have played a part. Look at the way people are hard pushed to accept the Spesh E150SL fork. It's a triple clamp, but not a DH fork. People find that hard to understand. Leading link forks sit in that category as well.

OK, so there's the Lefty, but that has a massive marketing budget behind it. Girvin/USE and the like didn't have that.

Whytes are a different thing, as they were totally integrated in to the frame, much like the simply brilliant Muddy Fox Interactive frame.

adeward
    Free Member

fashion ! it' all depends on what is important to you,,

White rims
    just the right shade of purple anodising
    silver riser bars
    or baby blue painted frame,
    oh no it needs a black stem

in my opinion it;s actualy how well your bike works,, and not what it looks like,,,, dont be a panda to fashion

benjag
    Free Member

Don't forget vectors too, I had a pair and they were pretty good until all the bushes went sloppy, which occured regularly!

wicked Brave Warrior frame with a set of fork blades for rear chain stays!

stuey
    Free Member

CFH – The Dave Smart(?) Muddy Fox interactive was a great idea but Didn't it 'pack down' badly over consecutive stutter bumps?

IIRC there was a road bike prototype at Crystal palace bike show one year(?)

singlespeedstu

The USE is a good fork in some respects but in others is very lacking.

The good points to me were the rigidness and possitive steering, the anti dive worked very well. They also require virtualy no tools to strip down.

Bad points are that they're a bit primitive in the damping department and really difficult to set up.

One day they'd feel fine then the next day they'd feel not quite right despite no changes to the setup.

I sold mine in the end.

Oh and BTW.

Aesthetics may have played a part. Look at the way people are hard pushed to accept the Spesh E150SL fork. It's a triple clamp, but not a DH fork. People find that hard to understand.

No they don't. They do however understand that loads of other forks out there work a lot better.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It did have some rebound issues, that is true. I think a modern shock system, maybe something SPV or similar would have made such a bike (not a frame/fork, but a while bike) work really well.

People who ride the Whytes, which were a similar integrated system, seem to love them, despite the looks!

Inzane
    Free Member

Linkages flogging out too quick and pretty crap damping/shocks have been the main down fall of these beasts.

I would expect someone to have another go at it sometime soon. With newer shock technology maybe they can get something that works better than a standard telescopic??

I would like to see Dave Turner have a go at it… 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

singlespeedstu, ever ridden with one of the E150s ?

singlespeedstu

Yep.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, in that case you'll have ridden a lightweight long travel fork which works better than most.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I quite liked my use sub, it would have made a lot more sense in 130-150mm than 100mm

singlespeedstu

@CF.
    Really. Not the impression I got.

I think as said above the SUB could be a good fork with a better damping cartridge in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not niche enough for you, I assume?

Those who ride with them and who have got them set up right, love them. I've not ridden a better lightweight long travel fork.

singlespeedstu

Nowt to do with nicheness.

I think after a lifetime of racing off road I know what works on a fork and what doesn't.

timdrayton
    Free Member

i loved my use sub fork, lacking a lockout or the adjustment of modern forks tho, otherwise great.

also it prompted one of the local youths to describe my bike as "sick"

i can only think this was a positive sentiment?

snowpaul
    Free Member

re spec shox – having sold them in the past – most if not all spec own brand shox came back under warranty via the shop at some point,,,

garbage

paul

Stoner
    Free Member

as SST has covered. I too had some USE Subs, and whilst the anti dive and stiff/tracking was fantastic, the small bump sensitivity was missing and unless you were braking there was very little suspension going on at all.

Sold and replaced by 20mm Reba 120mm 29ers.
    Better set up means they cover suspension at all points in the ride with damping dealing with the diving.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry – longwinded suspension geek post ahead. I have been fascinated by this for years since seeing the Creasy / diafazio hub centre steered bike in the early eighties.

The best of the alternative designs such as The whyte separate the steering from the suspension. However it cannot be used on a conventional frame. One of the advantages of that type of design is it reduces the forces on the headstock as the lower wishbone takes braking loads. also by separating braking from suspension you can control brake dive – thus meaning you can have softer springing as it doesn't need to have the springs controlling brake dive.

The use type still are compromised in that you are steering with the suspension and get high loadings on the headstock. You can however do clever things with brake linkages to give whatever degree of antidive you wish

With levers as you increase the travel you get further undesirable effects as the arc of the arm gets greater unless you use longer arms

I had a BMW motorcycle with a single wishbone front end. I liked its advantages. IMO the best of the alternate designs – controlled antidive, suspension units on frame not part of the steered mass, relatively conventional frames. I think this would be well suited to mountainbikes.

BMW also did a double wishbone. The whyte was a simplified / compromised version of this set up. In the white the upper wishbone is also the steering linkage thus you lose some of the advantages of the true double wishbone but save weight in that you don't need a separate steering linkage.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had quite a bit of experience with the Whyte forks (PRST1 3000+ miles & PRST4 4000+ miles) and really liked them but they did have their weak points. The J path of the axle meant that forks tended to tuck under, and this could catch you out on steep descents if you weren't ready (six stitches in the cheek to show for that one), the lower fork pivot is a ball joint and has to deal with steering and suspension movement, this tends to wear out on a regular basis and tends to lead to some pretty unpleasant handling (much more noticeable on-road than off), the fork tends to blow through its travel pretty quickly if you run it soft enough to get the best out of it (but this can be overcome to a certain extent by a change in riding style ie keeping your back more than you would normally).
    Overall I regret getting rid of my PRST4, it really suited the way I ride.

nickc

Whilst this is interesting in a geek-fest sort of way the reason they didn't catch on IMO is that regular telescopic forks actually work "well enough" for most folk. There may very well be "better" solutions for certain circumstances, but twin legged telescopic forks combine good bump absorption, good tracking, are lightweight and offer (mostly) easy servicing, and perhaps more importantly tuning. Unbeatable really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nickc all of those things can easily be engineered into alternative designs altho I agree that teles are good enough for most. Having ridden a lot on that BMW with the telelever front end it really is far better than teles.

I think the main reason is that alternative designs really need frames to suit – which locks you in. the types of alternative designs that can go on conventional frames are too compromised to offer any advantage. That and the conservatism of the average bike buyer. Teles are also a mature technology

A wishbone suspension and frame to suit can be lighter as it has more direct load paths thus you don't need a very strong steering head and by separating suspension and braking forces can run more supple springing without diving on the brakes. You also get reduced stiction and thus better small bump absorbtion

nickc

Quite. But it's not really important. People can ride around any issues that tele forks have, and seem quite happy to do so. The forums aren't full of folk complaining "where does my travel go when I brake hard?" it simply isn't enough of an issue for alternative designs to get a foot hold, and there's no incentive from the likes of Marz, Fox or RS to invest the money into new deigns.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough. I have a design in my head for a single wishbone frame / fork – one day I might even build it

bigrich

I think there is a big export market to S.Korea so they still make the SUBs (at least until recently, that is).

racefaceec90

what about the bimota tesi motorcycle(i think it was that one)that had hub centre steering,also that yamaha that had a similar design.were they any good/could that technology be used in mountain biking?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Raceface – the issue there is to you have an arm that is at axle height – it needs to be bowed to allow the wheel to turn – limited lock and width are the issues so I don't think so for MTBs There are a variety of these designs in the motorcycle world – but none have really caught on

racefaceec90

ah i see!!!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I got a set of Look Fournales – carbon fibre leading link forks. All I can say is that riding them is interesting… not bad, just different.

They're very torsionally stiff, very, very light and a piece of piss to maintain. The J-shaped axle path thing is kinda odd – there's a tendancy for it to pitch you over the front, just at the point when you are about to get pitched over the front – if you see what I mean. But that's ok, I just adjust my riding style and avoid stupid steep rocky, steppy stuff. (Never really liked that sort of stuff anyway). …Then there's the sensitivity of the fork. It's got a little bit of 'give' for small bumps and rises, but it's quite resistive – it feels almost as if there's too much air pressure in the shock. However, once you hit a certain big hit point – it just goes 'BANG' and slips right through most of the travel in an instant. Like I said.. not good.. not bad either. Just different. You kindof adapt your riding style to suit it. I quite like it really.

I think the appeal of telescopic forks over leading links is that – in terms of fork travel they are by definition linear and 'simpler' – therefore it's easier to develop a more progressive feeling fork. AKA – they just work as another poster said. That's my tuppence worth anyway… I'm still a bit-part leading link fan though. 🙂

epicyclo

I have a set of old Girvins and their action is much better than the Look Fournales.

The Fournales are nice and light though. What lets them down is inadequate damping IMO, you have to put a heap of pressure into them to stop dive. After using them for a while I discovered a better light fork, an On-One Carbon 😀 It doesn't dive at all for some reason.

I am tempted by the German-A fork. I've got a version on my 20" wheel Dahon and it handled well on a gentle ride around the 'Puffer course.

Telescopics may be a mature technology, but it's a wrong technology.

adeward
    Free Member

the Bimota tesi,,,, great bike/crap bike
    i used to work for a uk superbike team who raced a works tesi,, fantastic bike everything was independently adjustable ,,trail caster steering ratios etc,,, you could nt work on the engine without taking it out,
    the problem was the rider we had was fast but had little feeling for any of the adjustments he just rode around problems,,

now the mountain bike bits,, i had a lot to do with designing the whyte , and recently spent a week at brooks university testing bikes on a 4 post suspension rig basicly each wheel is on a hydraulic ram which can be programed to to up and down at differt frequencies and amplitudes
    the accelometers are placed on the the bike on the front and rear wheel, hub and near seat and near handlebars

amongst lots of interesting things was the amount of stiction in front forks even a set of well loved ones i thought were good ,, and new forks were bad ,,, the whyte forks were active right from the first small movements,,

also the slacker the headangle of the bike the more stiction the forks had due to the extra bending on the fork ,,,

read a book by tony foale on motorbike suspension seems very dated now but it's still relevent he builds a bike with virtical forks v ugly but a massive improvment

enough rambling ,,,

nickc

Telescopics may be a mature technology, but it's a wrong technology.

Eh?

vinnyeh

Is antidive (and leading link suspension) usable when longer travel is called for?
    I'd always thought that antidive would lose it's effectiveness when long travel forks required compression and trail reduction to get around sharp corners, and this was what made telescopics more effective on dirt bikes- without brake compression a modern bike won't get round unbermed corners effectively. Is this correct, or can LL type forks and forks with antidive get the needed geometry changes?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The J-shaped axle path thing is kinda odd – there's a tendancy for it to pitch you over the front, just at the point when you are about to get pitched over the front – if you see what I mean. But that's ok, I just adjust my riding style and avoid stupid steep rocky, steppy stuff. (Never really liked that sort of stuff anyway). .

Which is precisely the bit that puts me off them. I *LOVE* stupid steep rocky, steppy stuff.

adeward
    Free Member

i have never had that pitching over the front feeling with my prestons I always thought there wasnt enough weight on the front and with a tendency to run wide in corners (understeer) so both mine run 24 inch front wheels lower front , more weight on the front wheel, more grip ,,

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The beauty of a true double wishbone suspension is the axle path can be tailored by adjusting the length and angle of the wishbones to do anything you want and by altering the way the shock is mounted controls spring rates. for example you can have it set up to dive in the early part of the travel but not at the end, you can have rising rate spring rate, You can have short trail throughout the travel, and most importantly as Vinney says stiction thus small bump sensitivity is reduced. etc etc.

Disadvantges are complexity and high loadings on the balljoints, indirect steering path

ransos
    Free Member

I had a Girvin vector fork on my proflex back in the 90s. It never worked very well, and then the linkages went sloppy. I replaced it with Marzocchi bombers which was a superior fork in every way.

tinsy
    Free Member

Vincent girder fork 1950

tinsy
    Free Member

Leading link forks, still used in sidecar MX today.

Remind you of anything?

Sam

Had a ride on one of these way back when and it felt great. Of course, that was compared with Mag 21's etc…

dont be a panda to fashion

Quote of the day – love it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What was wrong with Leading link forks / Whyte /USE sub / Girvins?’ is closed to new replies.