Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What video camera
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There have been many What Camera threads but i need a good video cam, for about £4-500
    Good audio quality is important.

Any ideas?

DickBarton

Do you mean a pov camera or a handheld king that could potentially take different lenses?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I mean a bigger type thing which will generally be on a tripod, actually, probably also need a recommendation for a little handycam type thing too but the main thing is the big camera.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Digital SLR, it’s what most of the newer small scale films seem to be made on.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hmm, ok. I think i want something a bit more conventionally video cam though. I have an slr but that will be for taking stills during filming

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe get another DSLR camera that takes the same lenses as your existing camera.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s it for?

GaryLake
    Free Member

DSLR if you want to make ‘films’, conventional video camera if you want to ‘film stuff’ like kids and family or dicking about on bikes.

No ‘useable/useful’ auto focus on DSLR and slightly awkward ergonomics means you need to be happy focus pulling and/or working to a fixed focus point.

If you’re an aspiring ghetto film maker, DSLR and a tidy little prime lens is really hard to be beat for the money…

molgrips
    Free Member

Autofocus on m4/3 cameras apparently works well in video, so I’ve read.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As does sony dslrs (and nex).

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah anything that relies on contrast detection AF for stills should be able to do it fast enough for video.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The sony dslrs have full phase detect in AF. Which might be nice. But…

It really depends on what you want to do with it? If it’s on a tripod I doubt you want AF anyway.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I want to film classes and workshops, most on tripod, some carrying about and folks moving around. Auto focus would be good

plumber
    Free Member

m4/3 epl1 and gh1 is what I use. Share same lens system which is nice

Quality on both is really quite good and there’s plenty of faffability with lenses and settings if you want to go that way

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What video camera’ is closed to new replies.