Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What vbrakes/ wheels for retro bike
  • overbikedagain
    Free Member

Got a lovely 25 yr old Kona…wheels are on the way out and I need more braking…any pointers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

V brakes didn’t exist in 89.

Get cantis.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

Got em…they’re awful..

jonathan
    Free Member

Scott Pederson SE cantis?
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/suntour-self-energising-se-cantilever-brakes-rear-prod68/

To be honest there’s loads of good brakes to choose from. Some older Vs were awful, or worked but squeaked appallingly. Any later shimano Vs would be good

honeybadgerx

I think I might have some old avids or possibly even some XTR parallelellogram ones I’d part with (if I can find them!).

molesworth

I have XTR Vs on my ’94 Kona. But beware, you’ll have to settle for a slightly ugly cable route with Vs that you don’t with Cantis – because of the full length outer V brakes tend to use. Unless you want to go bonkers and get different cable guides braised on…

jimc101
    Free Member

What about Magura HS11/33’s they were around BITD.

botanybay
    Free Member

Shimano DX, the red ones, are the only way to go. Coolest brakes ever made.

I’ve always found the Avid Single Digits to be fine on my Kona.

And mine don’t have full length outers and they use the original canti cable guides 🙄

mattbee

My Klein has XT parallelogram ones, the early shiny silver jobbies. Work well and look nice but given their age (20 years !) they now need a little cable tie around the parallelogram mechanism to stop them rattling.
    Paired with Avid Speed Dial levers and run on ceramic rims they are as good as an ‘ok’ set of discs in the dry.

unknown
    Free Member

If you can find them then Avid Arch Rivals are the best V-brakes in my opinion, with the “Ultimate” versions being the er… ultimate. No need for full length others for vees.

epicyclo

Try drum brakes – better than cantis and you don’t need expensive rims to make them work better.

Andy-R

If it’s 1989 won’t it be U brake rear? I’m using Magura Racelines on my Explosif, with the rear mounting brackets modded a bit and fitted upside down.

flashes
    Free Member

Epicyclo, nooooooooooooo. Personally I vote for Avid Arch Rivals or a good set of Canti’s, stil using both…..

plus-one

Running ritchey cantis on my 95 cindercone(stock spec) they are very good and actually stop you 🙂

As said above its a bodge with fitting v-brakes but will work no probs..

keithyr
    Free Member

have a set of XTR canti brakes for sale shortly.

inc cables rollers etc. You would just need some matching levers.

PM me if interested or email keith7rATskyDOTcom

epicyclo

flashes – Member
    Epicyclo, nooooooooooooo. …

Never tried a decent set, eh? 🙂

Mind you I like cantis too.

Getting cable brakes to work well is all to do with the cable outers and having rigid levers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What vbrakes/ wheels for retro bike’ is closed to new replies.