Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What value for money workshop stand ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

As the title says, I’m chasing a workshop stand and just won’t to know out of the cheaper ones what is the best. If you have one that you could recommend that would be great

Cheers

timmys

No complaints about this one;

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-tune-up-workstand?bct=browse%2faccessories%2fworkstands-bike-storage

It’s sold by various people so might be available cheaper, though they were cheapest when I got one a few years ago.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of aldi work shop stands, really strong well made but I have 2 (2nd was a gift) I’ve never used it … If your anywhere near Manchester feel free to come have a look and make me an offer if you want it?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The revolution stand, and the others that use the same structure, are OK but a little unstable, but if you can weight the legs down as well, such as with a sandbag, they should be fine.

In terms of value for money – get an Feedback Pro as then you won’t ever buy another stand – the other option is more expensive : buy a cheap stand, then later buy a less cheap stand that is a little better, etc, then eventually buy a Feedback.

crosshair
    Free Member

Or just buy one of the Aldi/Halfords ones for £27 off of EBay and delight in how good it is for practically no money 😀

I can take either wheel off or hold the bike at practically any angle with it. I was pleasantly surprised as I only bought it as a wash stand.

nickgti
    Free Member

I have this one
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/velomann-bicycle-repair-stand-bike-star-26193/wg_id-352

It’s more than stable enough can’t fault it at all really

sure they do a folding version as well which I wish I had gone for

granny_ring

I’ve got the same as crisdiesel. New in box.
    £20 collected – Kent,

BoardinBob

If you’re near Glasgow you can have one of these for £60 (Cost me £150)

The downtube on the wife’s DH bike is too big for it

shaungero
    Free Member

Thanks heaps guys. I shall have a look at them and Oder one.

Cheers

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’ve one of the Edinburgh Cycles ones and found the seradated teeth (plastic) on the clamp head for rotating and locking to be very weak and easily damaged just with the weight of the bike straining them. They may have changed it now however as mines a couple of years old.

stumpy01

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-tools-workstand-49075.html

Merlin are doing that Edinburgh Cycles one a bit cheaper. I’ve had one a couple of years and for the money, I think it’s really good.

jairaj

+1 for the Merlin and Edinburgh one. I have one branded as Bike Hand, I think I got mine from an ebay seller years a go and its still going strong.

The stand it self is quite light so if you have loads of weight over to one side it can cause it to tip over but a bag of sand or any counter weight stops that. As long as the weight is roughly balanced its pretty stable.

shaungero
    Free Member

Will the Edinburgh stand be marginal better than a 27 pound ebay jobs ? Thanks

matther01
    Free Member

I’ve got a bikehut one from amazon for about £60 inc delivery. Most essential bit of kit I’ve bought since my dropper!

br
    Free Member

Park 9.

Had it for years and still works perfectly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Feedback is the choice round here, more money but much less chance of needing to replace it.

hatter

To me the workstand that represents value for money is the one that lasts and which you can keep running well into the future because you can get spares for it.

On that note I’d say the Park PCS-10, or the Feedback sport mechanic, both are genuinely sturdy and both companies have good track records of supporting their products with spares even after the model in question has been supplanted.

Plenty of 20+ year old Park PCS-1 stands out there going strong because of this.

shaungero
    Free Member

That is where I’m a bit stuck. I’m alway about spending more for the quality but I’m only going to be in the uk for 18 months to 2 years. But in saying that I don’t want something that is going to annoy the Sh!t out of me either.

jimw
    Free Member

I have one of the Bike hand ones. I have had it for four years and use it a couple of times a week I would guess, built up numerous bikes on it. I have never had an issue with the plastic teeth and for most jobs it is perfectly stable. I keep on thinking about ‘upgrading’ when it busts, but as it never has I just use it. I think it cost me £45 at the time as it was on special offer.

Edit:
    As the plastic teeth were a known ‘issue’ when I bought it, I do take care to unload the joint by supporting the weight of the bike when undoing the clamp and it has no signs of wear even now

hatter

I’m alway about spending more for the quality but I’m only going to be in the uk for 18 months to 2 years.

Fair play, in which case you’ll probably be fine with a cheapie.

matther01
    Free Member

Apologies…mine is actually the bike ‘hand’ stand with 2 feet not the tripod like the bike ‘hut’ stand.

Had it 2 years and zero issues. Folds up pretty well too.

Lummox

Value for money would be a second hand kestrel engineering stand.

Usually find them on eBay collection only and selling for around 50-60.

They last forever and are upgrade able if you speak to kestrel (based in Portsmouth)

Mine is 20 years old, used all the time, on its 3rd colour scheme and still awesome.

Believe bencooper uses one too

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What value for money workshop stand ?’ is closed to new replies.