Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What tyres? (please forgive me!!!!!!!)
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

I bought a 26″ Five recently and the wheels were set up tubeless with spesh butcher at the front and purg at the back (I think) It was a ghetto tubeless set up but everything seemed fine to me! I was doing some drop offs and as I landed the front tyre blew totally off the rim and I ended up on my ar**!

I am having the hubs built on mk3 stans flow rims as I decided I wanted to go with a proper tubeless rim, but I don’t have a clue about tyres!

It is 26″ wheels, and I use it for BPW/ little jumps / hopefully onto rocky type stuff! I am not bothered about weight (the bike and I already weigh enough) I just want something that will grip, and is a safe tyre to go tubeless with. Any ideas?

I do apologise for a what tyre thread but at £30-50 a tyre I want to make a good choice that will last!

legend
    Free Member

Butchers and Purgs should be abolutely fine, I’ve run them on Flow Exs for ages. What rim were you using previously?

Northwind

Yeah, Specialized tubeless ready tyres aren’t the toughest but they’re a good tubeless tyre. People do all sorts of crappy lashups for ghetto tubeless and decide it works just because the tyre inflates but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll stay on… So I’m blaming the existing tubeless setup rather than the tyre.

But still, if you’re a big guy riding hard in rocks, the sidewalls of teh specializeds might not be good enough for you. Maxxis tubeless ready gives you a good range and none of them are terrible, minion dhf or shorty on the front and minion dhr2 or ss on the back will do pretty much anything you ask on a five, buuuut, also not that tough. Depends what you really need.

Yak

I’m fairly certain that the previous rims (mavic somethings?) were not tubeless ready, so I would blame the rim/ghetto combo for the tyre blow-off. Your new setup with stans tape and the same style tyres with a grid casing should be fine.

When I had a Five, years ago – I ran Michelin Mountain X’tremes. Amazing tyres back then. I imagine something like the Wild Rock’R Reinforced is similar nowadays and tubeless.

phil40
    Free Member

Cheers all!

I do think it was the rim/ghetto combination! Jedi certainly thought it might be the ghetto set up! I am going to go with the proper stans tape and although the conti’s are probably fine…….I have lost confidence so a change is required!

Will have a look for those tyres you mention yak!

smatkins1
    Free Member

Kind of as above, a pair of Butchers (but with Grid casing) would be on my sort list with that budget and those requirements.

Unless the bike is purely for uplift days then I’d get some Dual Ply Minions DHFs from CRC for £36.99 each.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What tyres? (please forgive me!!!!!!!)’ is closed to new replies.