Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What tyres for………my car?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Nothing special, just a 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.3 petrol. Not being driven especially hard. Been running cheap pre loved tyres for a good few years now but the last pair left a bit to be desired. What's a decent value for money tyre to put on such a car?

Del

the next thing up from bottom of the range that meets the speed rating.
    unless you're driving the sort of car where you can feel the difference in grip levels between summer and winter anything else is a bit of a waste of money.

Olly
    Free Member

i got "Khumos" for my 206 as reccomended by the garage.
    200 quid for all corners fitted.
    no problems at all with them so far.
    LOADS better than the pirrellis on the van (though they are "eco" plastic tyres)

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

I too run Khumos and think they great. Good value for money and my last set game me 40000 miles…i drive like a grandpa.

stumpy01

Kumho's here as well. Great tyres.

I use the KU31 Ecsta SPT, which is a bit of a 'performance' oriented tyre. I think for a decent boggo standard tyre, they do one called the KH11 or the KH15 – not sure what they difference is though.

Vredestein Hi-Tracs are also worth a look.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Have used Kumho before which were pretty good but now using Maxxis which are excellent, very cheap from Camskill…

stumpy01

Camskill are great – I get my Kumho's from there; About £105 for 2x KU31s in a 205/45/16, delivered in a couple of days to my local garage for them to fit when it goes in for a service.

schrickvr6 – I've looked at the Maxxis tyre's on there a few times. What one's do you reckon are good? They can't be too soft though; I do 600 miles/week commuting so they need to last!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Yep – Kumho's here too (KU31 Ecsta).
    They seem fine so far, and are significantly cheaper than better-known brands.
    Incidently, Kumho is a massive Korean tyre company that provides OE tyres for some VW modles…

glenh
    Free Member

Can I NOT recommend Black Circle's 'budget choice' which in my case were Auto Grip, but certainly do no nothing of the sort in the wet.

The various Maxxis tyres I've had on the car have been good though.

Edric64
    Free Member

cheap tyres usually 10 quid on the rim from the scrapyard

wonnyj
    Free Member

I started a similar thread not so long ago

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

I use continental premium contact 2's but would set you back £70 a corner, I do about 500miles a week to work and back and although they are not the cheapest option they are very good in the wet and the dry. I tried the budget option and then these. The phrase you get what you pay for defiantly applies to tyres.

spooky_b329

£10 on the rim? Those sort of tyres are usually barely legal and sold as 'only good as a spare'

I bought a part worn tyre, it had 9mm of tread on it so paid about £60 to include the wheel. Otherwise it would have been £20 for the wheel plus £60 for a new tyre.

simon_g

Yet another Kumho user here – Ecsta Spts which are working great on my Civic.

Edric64
    Free Member

£10 on the rim usually last me about 18 months or 15000 miles where I go

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Stumpy I'm using the MAV1 tyres, it's difficult to say re tyre wear as I run loads of negative camber with an eratic driving style, rarely get more than 3k out of a set of tyres….

rootes1

best you can afford – they are the only things connecting you to the road…

molgrips
    Free Member

I am using Michelin Energy Savers which were expensive, but apparently last almost twice as long as normal tyres. Which would make them good vfm IF they do last that long. Signs are good so far tho.

stumpy01

The phrase you get what you pay for defiantly applies to tyres.

Nah, don't agree. Same as anything – extra money doesn't necessarily mean better.
    I used to use Vredestein Hi-Trac's on my old car (don't come in the right size for wheels on my current car). They won the Auto Express tyre test 2 years in a row and were always among the middle of the pack in terms of price.

The Kumho KU31's are comparable in terms of performance to the Hi-Tracs I would say…..and definitely better than the Bridgestone Turanza's that are OEM on my car & £70 a tyre.

Del

those energy savers last very well – some were on my old tdi. boy was i glad to get rid of them when they eventually got low. car felt much better to drive.

best you can afford – they are the only things connecting you to the road…

unless you also replace your shocks, springs, bushes, brake pads, etc. etc. then driving to the conditions and to your car's capabilities is a more sensible idea. IMO, YMMV, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Worth noting that the newer Michelin energy savers are a lot better than the older ones… Mine are fine, no issues at all and the car drives as normal.

Del

oh good show. couldn't be any worse… 😆

rob1984p
    Free Member

spooky you've been done on part worns i reckon, at my local very well treaded ones are a tenner on the rim and theres another place not too far from me that fitted part worns to my wheels for somewhere between 15 and 20 a corner including new valves.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for………my car?’ is closed to new replies.